- ‘Star Trek: Discovery’ unmasks the time-traveling Red Angel Thursday 8:30 PM
- Everyone is making memes of Meghan McCain saying ‘my father’ on loop Thursday 8:11 PM
- Irony of Georgia’s sperm-reporting bill flies by anti-abortion advocates Thursday 7:11 PM
- Sex scandals are consuming the K-pop industry Thursday 5:44 PM
- Trump supporters are abandoning Fox News over network’s latest hire Thursday 5:20 PM
- QAnon is attacking a random woman in a disturbing and dangerous way Thursday 4:59 PM
- Google celebrates Bach with AI-powered, music-making doodle Thursday 4:53 PM
- RIP: The best free trial in all of streaming entertainment Thursday 2:19 PM
- Which ‘Florida Man’ are you? Thursday 1:06 PM
- Hundreds of millions of Facebook passwords were accessible to employees Thursday 12:55 PM
- ‘Bitch I’m Bella Thorne’ morphs into TikTok dyslexia meme Thursday 12:17 PM
- Marvel is auctioning props and costumes from Netflix’s ‘Defenders’ franchise Thursday 12:12 PM
- Net neutrality advocates plan online watch party for the ‘Save the Internet’ Act Thursday 12:01 PM
- Tim Cook turns his iPad meme into an AirPod meme Thursday 11:46 AM
- Auschwitz Memorial asks visitors to stop taking playful photos at Holocaust site Thursday 11:33 AM
Kelly Marie Tran surprises fans geeking out over her ‘Last Jedi’ character
Disney | ABC Television Group/Flickr (CC-BY-ND)
Now that Star Wars: The Last Jedi is out in the world, many fans can’t stop talking about it as they rehash and analyze some of their favorite plots and characters. But you never know who might be listening, as some fans discovered when they met Kelly Marie Tran after she overheard them talking about her Star Wars character.
Tran has posted extensively about the her first major press tour and experiencing fan reactions to The Last Jedi on her Instagram account over the past several weeks. Her latest story was one of happenstance: She and a friend were at a pub when they noticed that the table of people sitting next to them were talking in-depth about the The Last Jedi—and more specifically, Tran’s character Rose Tico.
You can hear snippets of the conversation in Tran’s video, which captures the moment she realizes that fans were talking about Rose unaware that Rose herself was nearby.
Tran eventually introduced herself to the group and took a photo with them; according to Tran, it was the first time she had heard others talking about The Last Jedi.
Acknowledging how hard it is to get a project made (as well as some of the backlash), Tran is thankful for all of the conversations and discussions the movie has caused.
“And no matter who we are, no matter where we’re from, if we can really listen and have a conversation about something — anything — it can really open up a door,” she wrote. “It can open us up to new ideas and new understanding. So thanks, wonderful people, for watching and dissecting and discussing. It makes me happy to know that we made something that’s starting a dialogue. My heart is so full, and my goals are so clear. Let’s tell more stories. Let’s have more conversations. Let’s get to know lives and worlds different from our own. And most of all — let’s open our hearts and accept our differences. More love, less hate.”
Michelle Jaworski is a staff writer and the resident Game of Thrones expert at the Daily Dot. She covers entertainment, geek culture, and pop culture and has brought her knowledge to conventions like Con of Thrones. She is based in New Jersey.