- Instagram and Facebook are reportedly blocking queer ads Friday 8:58 PM
- Review: Tyler Perry’s ‘A Fall From Grace’ is both nonsensical and utterly predictable Friday 6:48 PM
- Is Hulu censoring the Iran episode of Anthony Bourdain’s ‘Parts Unknown’? Friday 6:05 PM
- Trump admin celebrates Michelle Obama’s birthday by proposing rollback of her signature initiative Friday 4:01 PM
- TSA apologizes after agent grabs indigenous woman’s braids, says ‘giddyup’ Friday 3:28 PM
- Blue Bell ice cream licker pleads guilty Friday 2:54 PM
- 7 fortune-telling sites for when you’re bored Friday 2:21 PM
- Governor bans sex puns on free condom wrappers Friday 2:16 PM
- Is Justin Bieber’s ‘Yummy’ video secretly about Pizzagate? Friday 1:01 PM
- Woah Vicky rips out her hair in botched cultural appropriation attempt Friday 12:30 PM
- Here’s an exclusive look at ‘Weathering With You’ Friday 11:57 AM
- TikTok dudes are dipping their balls in soy sauce for ‘science’ Friday 11:49 AM
- Pete Buttigieg’s denial of fixing bread prices becomes its own meme Friday 11:10 AM
- Houston Astros get torched with buzzer memes after new revelation Friday 10:41 AM
- Teens are eating cereal out of each other’s mouths for clout Friday 10:34 AM
Now that Star Wars: The Last Jedi is out in the world, many fans can’t stop talking about it as they rehash and analyze some of their favorite plots and characters. But you never know who might be listening, as some fans discovered when they met Kelly Marie Tran after she overheard them talking about her Star Wars character.
Tran has posted extensively about the her first major press tour and experiencing fan reactions to The Last Jedi on her Instagram account over the past several weeks. Her latest story was one of happenstance: She and a friend were at a pub when they noticed that the table of people sitting next to them were talking in-depth about the The Last Jedi—and more specifically, Tran’s character Rose Tico.
You can hear snippets of the conversation in Tran’s video, which captures the moment she realizes that fans were talking about Rose unaware that Rose herself was nearby.
Tran eventually introduced herself to the group and took a photo with them; according to Tran, it was the first time she had heard others talking about The Last Jedi.
Acknowledging how hard it is to get a project made (as well as some of the backlash), Tran is thankful for all of the conversations and discussions the movie has caused.
“And no matter who we are, no matter where we’re from, if we can really listen and have a conversation about something — anything — it can really open up a door,” she wrote. “It can open us up to new ideas and new understanding. So thanks, wonderful people, for watching and dissecting and discussing. It makes me happy to know that we made something that’s starting a dialogue. My heart is so full, and my goals are so clear. Let’s tell more stories. Let’s have more conversations. Let’s get to know lives and worlds different from our own. And most of all — let’s open our hearts and accept our differences. More love, less hate.”
Michelle Jaworski is a staff writer and the resident Game of Thrones expert at the Daily Dot. She covers entertainment, geek culture, and pop culture and has brought her knowledge to conventions like Con of Thrones. She is based in New Jersey.