- Here’s why you shouldn’t buy a Nintendo Switch until mid-August Monday 5:11 PM
- Man blasted for making his coworkers babysit his child Monday 5:07 PM
- Pete Buttigieg’s country radio interview was blocked from the air Monday 4:35 PM
- 15-year-old Smash Bros. prodigy caught using racist slur in private Discord server Monday 3:47 PM
- Instagram users who post pet pictures more likely to get hacked Monday 3:45 PM
- Post-Prime Day recap: Shipping delays, more sales, and a scam Monday 3:08 PM
- Jacob Wohl returns to Twitter … for now Monday 1:56 PM
- How to stream WWE Raw Reunion Monday 1:35 PM
- ‘I hope Trump deports you’: Woman goes on racist rant to Spanish speakers at a store Monday 1:24 PM
- Emoji Mashup Bot gives life to unidentifiable emotions Monday 1:15 PM
- Notorious grifter Anna Sorokin reportedly blocked from profiting off Netflix series Monday 12:45 PM
- Charlottesville attacker’s Twitter account included praise for Hitler Monday 12:10 PM
- ‘Short Treks’ trailer: Spock, Pike, and Number One return Monday 11:57 AM
- Everything we know about ‘Star Trek: Lower Decks,’ the new animated show Monday 11:55 AM
- Cole Carrigan says he left Team 10 after being called homophobic slur Monday 11:32 AM
Kelly Marie Tran surprises fans geeking out over her ‘Last Jedi’ character
Disney | ABC Television Group/Flickr (CC-BY-ND)
Now that Star Wars: The Last Jedi is out in the world, many fans can’t stop talking about it as they rehash and analyze some of their favorite plots and characters. But you never know who might be listening, as some fans discovered when they met Kelly Marie Tran after she overheard them talking about her Star Wars character.
Tran has posted extensively about the her first major press tour and experiencing fan reactions to The Last Jedi on her Instagram account over the past several weeks. Her latest story was one of happenstance: She and a friend were at a pub when they noticed that the table of people sitting next to them were talking in-depth about the The Last Jedi—and more specifically, Tran’s character Rose Tico.
You can hear snippets of the conversation in Tran’s video, which captures the moment she realizes that fans were talking about Rose unaware that Rose herself was nearby.
Tran eventually introduced herself to the group and took a photo with them; according to Tran, it was the first time she had heard others talking about The Last Jedi.
Acknowledging how hard it is to get a project made (as well as some of the backlash), Tran is thankful for all of the conversations and discussions the movie has caused.
“And no matter who we are, no matter where we’re from, if we can really listen and have a conversation about something — anything — it can really open up a door,” she wrote. “It can open us up to new ideas and new understanding. So thanks, wonderful people, for watching and dissecting and discussing. It makes me happy to know that we made something that’s starting a dialogue. My heart is so full, and my goals are so clear. Let’s tell more stories. Let’s have more conversations. Let’s get to know lives and worlds different from our own. And most of all — let’s open our hearts and accept our differences. More love, less hate.”
Michelle Jaworski is a staff writer and the resident Game of Thrones expert at the Daily Dot. She covers entertainment, geek culture, and pop culture and has brought her knowledge to conventions like Con of Thrones. She is based in New Jersey.