- If you have doubts about HBO’s ‘Watchmen,’ give it more time Sunday 9:00 PM
- Video shows moment coach disarmed student of shotgun, then hugged him Sunday 7:38 PM
- Jared Leto reportedly tried to stop ‘Joker’ from happening Sunday 4:12 PM
- People are grossed out by cow insemination-themed pregnancy announcement Sunday 3:13 PM
- Major protests in Lebanon triggered by plan to tax WhatsApp calls Sunday 1:38 PM
- Frank Ocean’s $60 HIV prevention drug-themed shirts called tone-deaf Sunday 12:49 PM
- ‘Joker’ stairs latest Instagram spot; locals joke about potential robberies Sunday 10:30 AM
- PewDiePie banned in China after reacting to Winnie the Pooh memes Sunday 8:46 AM
- How to stream Cowboys vs. Eagles on Sunday Night Football Sunday 7:00 AM
- How to stream Chargers vs. Titans in Week 7 Sunday 6:00 AM
- 13 spooky romance games for adults Sunday 6:00 AM
- How to stream ‘Power’ season 6, episode 9 Sunday 5:00 AM
- How to stream Impact Wrestling’s Bound For Glory Sunday 5:00 AM
- How to stream Bills vs. Dolphins in Week 7 Sunday 4:30 AM
- How to stream Jaguars vs. Bengals in Week 7 Sunday 4:00 AM
Whether or not you’ve watched the movies recently, there is nothing better than a good Harry Potter meme.
When J.K. Rowling published Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone in 1997, she likely had no idea it would spark a cultural phenomenon. Despite the fact that the last Harry Potter film was released eight years ago, content surrounding this mega-popular series is still going strong. With that in mind, we gathered up the best Harry Potter memes the internet has to offer.
The best ‘Harry Potter’ memes
Many of the memes are specially made for those geeks who have a deep knowledge of the books. Spell jokes and wizarding puns abound. You can thank the genius that is Twitter user @head_moths for “Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Ass Kebab.”
The memes don’t all surround the books and movies, either. After Rowling made a practice of revealing changes to the canon in her books, often centered around a character’s sexuality. While more representation is always a good thing, Rowling’s habit of leaving these reveals out of the books garnered widespread criticism.
*looks around nervously* okay, coast is clear. happy birthday, harry potte-— Alex Zalben (@azalben) July 31, 2019
[JK Rowling, bursting through wall] at age 39, harry had a brief, torrid, extramarital affair with a sentient elm tree
i heard you get a letter on your eleventh birthday— mols (@CongaWater) June 24, 2019
jk rowling: dumbledore is gay— ⩔ isatholomew (@buckscxp) July 30, 2019
everyone: than put that in tje movie!!
and then shes like: pic.twitter.com/CTZkFEzb1O
some guy: Hoo boy! Can't wait to go home and have sex with my wife!— Snutt⁉️ (@BustaSnutt) July 30, 2019
jk Rowling: Not so fast buddy.
The memes weren’t confined to the first eight Harry Potter movies, either. With the release of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, and The Crimes of Grindelwald, there is plenty of wizarding content to poke fun at.
Me, when I got back home from the movie theater after seeing Crimes of Grindelwald: pic.twitter.com/pzofRw7MM5— ɪɴᴄᴏʀʀᴇᴄᴛ ᴡɪᴢᴀʀᴅɪɴɢ ᴡᴏʀʟᴅ (@WizardingInco) July 9, 2019
I just found out they apparate on Hogwarts grounds in the Crimes of Grindelwald movie and now I have to schedule an emergency session with my therapist— Alise Morales (@AliseNavidad) March 22, 2019
No matter how much flak fans give Rowling, there are very few series with the longevity of Harry Potter. We tease because we care.
Editor’s note: This article is regularly updated for relevance.
Nahila Bonfiglio reports on geek culture and gaming. Her work has also appeared on KUT's Texas Standard (Austin), KPAC-FM (San Antonio), and the Daily Texan.