- Instagram and Facebook are reportedly blocking queer ads Friday 8:58 PM
- Review: Tyler Perry’s ‘A Fall From Grace’ is both nonsensical and utterly predictable Friday 6:48 PM
- Is Hulu censoring the Iran episode of Anthony Bourdain’s ‘Parts Unknown’? Friday 6:05 PM
- Trump admin celebrates Michelle Obama’s birthday by proposing rollback of her signature initiative Friday 4:01 PM
- TSA apologizes after agent grabs indigenous woman’s braids, says ‘giddyup’ Friday 3:28 PM
- Blue Bell ice cream licker pleads guilty Friday 2:54 PM
- 7 fortune-telling sites for when you’re bored Friday 2:21 PM
- Governor bans sex puns on free condom wrappers Friday 2:16 PM
- Is Justin Bieber’s ‘Yummy’ video secretly about Pizzagate? Friday 1:01 PM
- Woah Vicky rips out her hair in botched cultural appropriation attempt Friday 12:30 PM
- Here’s an exclusive look at ‘Weathering With You’ Friday 11:57 AM
- TikTok dudes are dipping their balls in soy sauce for ‘science’ Friday 11:49 AM
- Pete Buttigieg’s denial of fixing bread prices becomes its own meme Friday 11:10 AM
- Houston Astros get torched with buzzer memes after new revelation Friday 10:41 AM
- Teens are eating cereal out of each other’s mouths for clout Friday 10:34 AM
While the world patiently waits for season three of Netflix’s Stranger Things, Fortnite is here to tide us over. A new leak from longtime data miners is leading some to believe that an in-game crossover event between the two will take place.
Lucas7Yoshi’s snapshot of the files in question shows a Stranger Things display name, along with a file named “Weird Objects.” Judging from how the files are written, it’s reasonable to assume the updates have already been inserted into the game files and are just waiting for implementation.
FortTory, another longtime Fortnite data miner, managed to find a similarly worded “Weird Objects” file, but this time it was accompanied by an audio file called “Portal_Expand.”
New sound files related to a kind of weird object pic.twitter.com/T18brH6Y2i— FortTory - Fortnite Leaks & News (@FortTory) June 18, 2019
Back in 2018, players discovered a series of portals underneath Wailing Woods, so if Epic is adding additional sound effects to these portals, it’s reasonable to imagine they’ll play a role in this upcoming Stranger Things event. In the Netflix series, a portal between the human world and the “Upside Down” region plays a pivotal role, since that’s where creatures like the Demogorgon dwell.
There’s currently no lead on what the “Weird Objects” file name could relate to, as it doesn’t line up with anything from Stranger Things. It could be a placeholder name of sorts to avoid giving away a surprise that will happen during the crossover event.
All signs point to some sort of crossover event, and that could mean anything from some simple cosmetic add-ons to a full-blown event. Fortnite isn’t above using its platform as a giant advertisement for upcoming attractions, like Marvel’s Avengers: Endgame. For what it’s worth, Netflix confirmed a while back that Stranger Things season 3 would be released on July 4, so you should expect to see this crossover event happen soon if everything is as our data mining sources say.
- 9 Fortnite memes that are (almost) as sweet as a Victory Royale
- How to make a 16-player lobby in Fortnite
- The best Fortnite skins: Cuddle bears, ancient vikings, and more
- How to play Fortnite on Mac
Got five minutes? We’d love to hear from you. Help shape our journalism and be entered to win an Amazon gift card by filling out our 2019 reader survey.
Joseph Knoop is a gaming writer for Daily Dot, a native Chicagoan, and a slave to all things Overwatch. He co-founded the college geek culture outlet ByteBSU, then interned at Game Informer, and now writes for a bunch websites his parents have never heard of.