- Former developer at software company deletes his code to protest its ties to ICE Saturday 4:21 PM
- A mysterious website is doxing Hong Kong protesters and journalists Saturday 1:44 PM
- The best ‘Skyrim’ followers and how to get them Saturday 1:26 PM
- Why Joel Osteen gets cyberbullied every time Houston floods Saturday 12:40 PM
- How to stream Jets vs. Patriots in Week 3 Saturday 12:39 PM
- 10 indie dating simulator games you should be playing Saturday 12:31 PM
- How to stream Packers vs. Broncos in Week 3 Saturday 12:14 PM
- Saudi crown prince’s former adviser suspended from Twitter Saturday 11:57 AM
- How to stream Cowboys vs. Dolphins in Week 3 Saturday 11:57 AM
- YouTuber to pay restitution after a teen fan died copying her video Saturday 10:36 AM
- Antonio Brown sent ‘intimidating’ texts to an accuser, including a pic of her children Saturday 9:38 AM
- Facebook suspended tens of thousands of apps after Cambridge Analytica scandal Saturday 8:24 AM
- How to stream Browns vs. Rams on Sunday Night Football Saturday 6:00 AM
- How to watch ‘NFL Primetime’ on ESPN+ Saturday 5:00 AM
- How to stream Liverpool vs. Chelsea Friday 6:45 PM
While the world patiently waits for season three of Netflix’s Stranger Things, Fortnite is here to tide us over. A new leak from longtime data miners is leading some to believe that an in-game crossover event between the two will take place.
Lucas7Yoshi’s snapshot of the files in question shows a Stranger Things display name, along with a file named “Weird Objects.” Judging from how the files are written, it’s reasonable to assume the updates have already been inserted into the game files and are just waiting for implementation.
FortTory, another longtime Fortnite data miner, managed to find a similarly worded “Weird Objects” file, but this time it was accompanied by an audio file called “Portal_Expand.”
New sound files related to a kind of weird object pic.twitter.com/T18brH6Y2i— FortTory - Fortnite Leaks & News (@FortTory) June 18, 2019
Back in 2018, players discovered a series of portals underneath Wailing Woods, so if Epic is adding additional sound effects to these portals, it’s reasonable to imagine they’ll play a role in this upcoming Stranger Things event. In the Netflix series, a portal between the human world and the “Upside Down” region plays a pivotal role, since that’s where creatures like the Demogorgon dwell.
There’s currently no lead on what the “Weird Objects” file name could relate to, as it doesn’t line up with anything from Stranger Things. It could be a placeholder name of sorts to avoid giving away a surprise that will happen during the crossover event.
All signs point to some sort of crossover event, and that could mean anything from some simple cosmetic add-ons to a full-blown event. Fortnite isn’t above using its platform as a giant advertisement for upcoming attractions, like Marvel’s Avengers: Endgame. For what it’s worth, Netflix confirmed a while back that Stranger Things season 3 would be released on July 4, so you should expect to see this crossover event happen soon if everything is as our data mining sources say.
- 9 Fortnite memes that are (almost) as sweet as a Victory Royale
- How to make a 16-player lobby in Fortnite
- The best Fortnite skins: Cuddle bears, ancient vikings, and more
- How to play Fortnite on Mac
Got five minutes? We’d love to hear from you. Help shape our journalism and be entered to win an Amazon gift card by filling out our 2019 reader survey.
Joseph Knoop is a gaming writer for Daily Dot, a native Chicagoan, and a slave to all things Overwatch. He co-founded the college geek culture outlet ByteBSU, then interned at Game Informer, and now writes for a bunch websites his parents have never heard of.