- How to turn off image metadata before it snitches on you 6 Years Ago
- The ‘Breaking Bad’ movie is coming to theaters—for one weekend only 6 Years Ago
- Teens recorded, shared videos of mall fight that ended in fatal stabbing Today 12:44 PM
- How to stream Giants vs. Buccaneers in Week 3 Today 12:31 PM
- Report: Ben Carson made transphobic comments at HUD meeting Today 12:30 PM
- Where to buy the Switch Lite and everything else you need to know Today 12:28 PM
- Facebook is experimenting with apps targeting teens Today 12:21 PM
- #LiveFromTheArea51Raid: Memes and highlights from the desert Today 12:06 PM
- Ready for Dark Mode? Here’s how to get it, and everything else in iOS 13 Today 11:41 AM
- Students across the world are walking out to protest inaction on climate change Today 11:08 AM
- YouTubers are exploiting Area 51 mania for content Today 10:29 AM
- Veterans confront Dan Crenshaw over his support for Trump Today 10:29 AM
- Google Maps may soon come with an Incognito Mode Today 10:13 AM
- Right-wing Beto O’Rourke ‘pissy pants’ meme actually features indie rock star Today 10:11 AM
- Facebook employee dies in apparent suicide at Bay Area headquarters Today 10:06 AM
Fans rally behind surprising choice for Marvel’s next superhero
You may not know Isaiah Mustafa by his given name, but you’ve probably heard of the Old Spice guy.
Now the initial excitement has died down, fans are wondering just who will end up playing the coveted roles of Luke Cage, Jessica Jones, Daredevil, and Iron Fist.
Right now, the fan-favorite casting choice for Cage is coming from an unexpected source: Old Spice commercials.
You may not know Isaiah Mustafa by his given name, but you’ve probably heard of the Old Spice guy. You know, “The Man Your Man Could Smell Like.” Originally famous for having perfect abs and the ability to find “tickets to that thing you like,” in real life he’s a major comic book nerd. He even named his own daughter after Batman villain Harley Quinn. And back in 2011, he made it very clear that he really, really wants to play Luke Cage, to the extent that he went ahead and made this teaser video of himself in character.
So, is the idea of Mustafa as Luke Cage just a pipe dream? Not necessarily. He’s an established TV actor as well as being known for the whole shirtless shower gel commercial thing, and he has the geek credibility to helm a Marvel TV series. Also, the fans certainly haven’t forgotten him. As soon as the Luke Cage TV series was announced, people started tweeting Mustafa to ask about it, and GIFs of his teaser trailer shot to the top of his Tumblr tag.
— Isaiah Mustafa (@isaiahmustafa) November 7, 2013
— Laura (@bliss116) November 8, 2013
— JawaKing (@kingofjawakings) November 8, 2013
The good news is that while Marvel may not be casting roles based on Internet campaigns, they’re definitely aware of Mustafa’s existence. So it’s totally not inconceivable that next time we see Captain America and the Old Spice Guy hanging out together at Comic-Con, it’ll be in a professional capacity.
Photo via agentmlovestacos/Tumblr
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested. Follow her on Twitter: @Hello_Tailor