- Twitter lifts ‘permanent’ suspension of activist Barrett Brown Monday 5:52 PM
- Billie Eilish fans fend off objectifying comments on tank top photo Monday 5:32 PM
- Groom’s mother sabotages wedding by tricking guests into wearing jorts and hoodies Monday 4:39 PM
- No one believes Bill de Blasio’s son sent him these debate prep texts Monday 3:26 PM
- Meek Mill, Jay-Z to release ‘Free Meek’ documentary on Amazon Prime Monday 3:20 PM
- 3 ways to secure your Nest cameras Monday 3:15 PM
- This Pokémon generator site is creating hilarious monsters Monday 2:48 PM
- MrBeast impersonator tricks kid into destroying his XBox Monday 12:50 PM
- This mom has the perfect nickname for her nonbinary kid Monday 12:25 PM
- Netflix tests pop-out player that will allow viewers to multitask Monday 11:44 AM
- Man allowed to sue media publishers over readers’ Facebook comments Monday 11:42 AM
- Republicans slammed for joke about ‘heavily armed militia’ at Oregon statehouse Monday 11:30 AM
- New bill wants tech companies to tell you how much your data is worth Monday 10:53 AM
- AOC has the best response to Steve King’s ‘concentration camp’ criticism Monday 10:19 AM
- Did Jake Paul and Tana Mongeau just get engaged? Monday 9:26 AM
Fans rally behind surprising choice for Marvel’s next superhero
You may not know Isaiah Mustafa by his given name, but you’ve probably heard of the Old Spice guy.
Now the initial excitement has died down, fans are wondering just who will end up playing the coveted roles of Luke Cage, Jessica Jones, Daredevil, and Iron Fist.
Right now, the fan-favorite casting choice for Cage is coming from an unexpected source: Old Spice commercials.
You may not know Isaiah Mustafa by his given name, but you’ve probably heard of the Old Spice guy. You know, “The Man Your Man Could Smell Like.” Originally famous for having perfect abs and the ability to find “tickets to that thing you like,” in real life he’s a major comic book nerd. He even named his own daughter after Batman villain Harley Quinn. And back in 2011, he made it very clear that he really, really wants to play Luke Cage, to the extent that he went ahead and made this teaser video of himself in character.
So, is the idea of Mustafa as Luke Cage just a pipe dream? Not necessarily. He’s an established TV actor as well as being known for the whole shirtless shower gel commercial thing, and he has the geek credibility to helm a Marvel TV series. Also, the fans certainly haven’t forgotten him. As soon as the Luke Cage TV series was announced, people started tweeting Mustafa to ask about it, and GIFs of his teaser trailer shot to the top of his Tumblr tag.
— Isaiah Mustafa (@isaiahmustafa) November 7, 2013
— Laura (@bliss116) November 8, 2013
— JawaKing (@kingofjawakings) November 8, 2013
The good news is that while Marvel may not be casting roles based on Internet campaigns, they’re definitely aware of Mustafa’s existence. So it’s totally not inconceivable that next time we see Captain America and the Old Spice Guy hanging out together at Comic-Con, it’ll be in a professional capacity.
Photo via agentmlovestacos/Tumblr
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested. Follow her on Twitter: @Hello_Tailor