- Dad claims YouTube refuses to remove video of daughter’s murder Thursday 6:36 PM
- Video of Kanye leaving Kim in elevator to carry all their bags has people cackling Thursday 6:19 PM
- Orlando Bloom’s tattoo misspelled son’s name because of Pinterest Thursday 5:35 PM
- The Ahi Challenge is the latest dance taking over TikTok Thursday 4:40 PM
- Show criticized for putting rape victim in blackface to protect her identity Thursday 3:42 PM
- Woman becomes viral sensation after iconic ‘Shallow’ subway video Thursday 2:48 PM
- Prettyboyfredo tried to gift a bullied teen some $30,000 Nikes at school—he got detained Thursday 2:13 PM
- ‘Vanderpump Rules’ recap: Wedding bells and blows Thursday 1:50 PM
- A 16-year-old made a ‘meme guide’ to help her dad understand online trends Thursday 1:46 PM
- UCLA drops plans to use facial recognition after student pushback Thursday 1:07 PM
- ‘Star Trek: Picard’ recap, episode 5: ‘Stardust City Rag’ Thursday 12:56 PM
- Roger Stone sentenced to 40 months in prison Thursday 12:45 PM
- New The 1975 music video is full of memes you’ll love Thursday 12:28 PM
- Black model speaks out after fashion show featured racist accessories Thursday 12:14 PM
- CBS to launch ‘House of Brands’ to bulk up streaming Thursday 11:57 AM
‘Pride & Prejudice’ cosplay peaks with dream wedding proposal
Jane Austen would be proud.
If you’re a fan of Jane Austen then you know that no one does romance better. And one Austen-loving family on Imgur has just won Best Proposal of This (or Any) Century.
When Jane Austen wrote, “for what do we live but to make sport for our neighbors?” she probably wasn’t envisioning the neighborhood being as large as the Internet. But she also never imagined a whole family cosplaying her book Pride and Prejudice 201 years after it was introduced to the world—and from the look of shock on this new fiancée’s face, she wasn’t expecting it either.
“I walked in the house, not expecting my sister to seize me and start exclaiming that Mr. Bingley had returned to Netherfield at last,” reads the caption on the first of 17 dreamy photos in “A Surprise Pride and Prejudice Engagement,” a gallery at Imgur that quickly went viral after it was posted earlier this week .
According to the gallery, the mother of the bride-to-be sewed five Regency dresses in two weeks so that her entire family could participate in the display, complete with her family cosplaying the roles of Elizabeth Bennet’s from the original novel.
And could her fiancé be a more perfect Mr. Darcy? You know you’re swooning.
On Tumblr, where the post quickly went viral, users were uniformly overjoyed, with Tumblr user kammartinez declaring she would “absolutely take this over some overly-public ‘grand’ proposal with a flash mob.” On Reddit, reactions ranged from the starstruck to the amused. The top Reddit comment, by What-the-Heck: “Is this what rich people do when they are bored? Because I just eat American cheese singles out of the fridge.”
And on Imgur, MrMaloonigans summed up our reaction best: “Cant tell if this is 1. staged; 2. final level hipster; 3. just a really nice family.” We’re betting on the most Austenian answer: all three.
See the whole gallery here. Then go out and find an Austen fan to marry you.
Photo via Imgur
Aja Romano is a geek culture reporter and fandom expert. Their reporting at the Daily Dot covered everything from Harry Potter and anime to Tumblr and Gamergate. Romano joined Vox as a staff reporter in 2016.