- The Amazon rainforest is on fire–and people are using memes to cope 1 Week Ago
- Microsoft contractors listened in on Xbox users Today 2:15 PM
- Anti-vaxxer assaults pro-vaccine lawmaker on Facebook Live (updated) Today 2:15 PM
- Oreos licked by singer Lewis Capaldi are being auctioned off on eBay Today 1:54 PM
- Zach Braff predicted Sean Spicer would be on ‘Dancing With the Stars’ 2 years ago Today 1:38 PM
- NYPD sergeant who watched Eric Garner die punished with lost vacation days Today 1:27 PM
- Brie Larson haters have a meltdown over a joke about Thor’s hammer Today 1:26 PM
- This comedian attempted to make fun of women on Twitter—and it did not go over well Today 1:04 PM
- Logan Paul wants to help the Amazon rainforest Today 12:36 PM
- Nutaku announces redesign and filters for LGBTQ porn games Today 12:25 PM
- This video of dozens of inflatable mattresses taking off in the wind is perfect Today 12:20 PM
- Reddit mods restore Tiananmen Square image after censorship claims Today 12:18 PM
- Billie Eilish parody takes dad jokes to a whole new level Today 11:52 AM
- How to stream Eagles vs. Ravens in NFL preseason action Today 11:26 AM
- How to create your very own Instagram hoax Today 11:15 AM
She’s beauty. She’s grace. She’s Supreme Commander of Imperial Space.
Mattel announced a collaboration with LucasFilm that will offer a line of three official Star Wars Barbies later this year, including one inspired by Sith Lord and noted fashion plate, Darth Vader. Rather than putting Barbie into durasteel drag, the design is based on the original concept art for A New Hope as filtered through an haute couture lens. If you’ve ever dreamt of how well ‘a galaxy far, far away’ would work as a Met Gala theme, wonder no longer.
The choker. The peplum bodice. The flawless metallic smokey eye. Darth Vader Barbie has truly outdone herself, while still honoring her Dark Lord roots. Vader’s iconic helmet is here translated into a pair of on-trend clout goggles, and his life-support control box makes the perfect statement clutch. It’s a refreshingly playful reboot of one of the most formidable character designs in cinema history, that also nods to the visual and narrative elements that made Vader one of the most iconic villains of the big screen. After all, what says ‘redemption arc’ better than a sweetheart neckline?
Designer Robert Best described the project as “a collaboration of two unique icons that truly stand alone,” and the unexpected but nonetheless potent powerhouse combo quickly won fans online:
Cool. Awesome new Barbie line of Star Wars dolls. "Barbie betrayed and murdered your father." - Ben Kenobi pic.twitter.com/0zLnCn85go— Jim Maxwell (@1jcmaxwell) August 13, 2019
There’s a Darth Vader Barbie and this is the Star Wars character Disney should be making spinoffs around: pic.twitter.com/qPsozN5UPn— Jay #WeAreGroot Abbit (@AbbitJay) August 13, 2019
1) These look awesome.— hellresidentNY (@hellresidentNY) August 13, 2019
2) Barbie-as-Darth Vader looks like Cate Blanchett playing Barbie-as-Darth Vader. And I absolutely dig it. https://t.co/sRDol9N43m
Mk I’m obsessed actually pic.twitter.com/W09HDtPYZI— troy (@boy___troy) August 13, 2019
this darth vader barbie is good pic.twitter.com/66x58PnSWV— tyler (@cyberpunkwarlok) August 13, 2019
Tonight I learned that Mattel is about to release a Star Wars special edition Darth Vader Barbie and I'm... kind of obsessed with her. That is a solid look. pic.twitter.com/t0KFyp8pYr— The Chubby Cryptid (@chubbycryptid) August 13, 2019
The collection also includes an R2D2 doll that looks like a particularly well-appointed DisneyBound and a take on Leia that imagines if she had access to a full glam squad on Yavin 4, but it’s clear who the true (Death) star of the show is. If you’re set on having a Vader Barbie of your own, you’ll have to part with $100 and wait until November 18 for them to ship; it remains unclear on whether the dolls will come with force choke poseability.
Angeline Rodriguez is a writer and editor based in New York City. She can be found on Twitter as @angelinearly.