- Influencer accused of selling shirt she was supposed to promote Tuesday 8:42 PM
- Jameela Jamil dragged for comparing reproductive rights to landlord rights Tuesday 6:54 PM
- Trump campaign posts Thanos meme, totally misses point of ‘Endgame’ Tuesday 5:58 PM
- Petition calls for Apple to make a Baby Yoda emoji Tuesday 5:16 PM
- This BTS-Billie Eilish mashup is the most popular tweet of 2019 Tuesday 4:51 PM
- Michelle Wolf embraces vulgarity in ‘Joke Show’ Tuesday 4:24 PM
- Influencer gets 14 years in prison for trying to steal domain name at gunpoint Tuesday 4:14 PM
- ‘Three Days of Christmas’ is a delightfully dark holiday alternative to Hallmark Tuesday 3:55 PM
- The way Trump Jr. holds his own book inspires mockery Tuesday 3:47 PM
- Woman facing backlash for no longer wearing hijab in end of the decade photo Tuesday 3:16 PM
- Report: Consulting firm lied about decreasing violence at Rikers Island jail Tuesday 2:36 PM
- TikTok users are sharing things they thought were ‘ghetto’ as kids Tuesday 2:31 PM
- Republicans just blocked a net neutrality vote in the Senate Tuesday 2:24 PM
- ‘Fox & Friends’ host stuck using dad’s account after Twitter suspension Tuesday 1:10 PM
- ‘They’ is Merriam-Webster’s word of the year Tuesday 12:56 PM
Twitter users welcome Adele’s baby to the world with insults and trolling
Apparently even newborns aren’t off-limits for Twitter trolls.
When pop singer Adele gave birth to her baby boy on Oct. 19, some Twitter users welcomed him into the world with insulting and mean-spirited tweets.
A tweet that read “Aw Adele gave birth to a baby. Is it fat and handicapped lol? Just murder it already lol” attracted much attention. Many users fired back at the author of the tweet, @PerfFemale, with one user even creating an account titled WE HATE @PerfFemale. Shortly after making the tweet, @PerfFemale was deleted.
A similar account, @Perfemale (warning: NSFW), was created on Oct. 21 and appeared to be basking in the attention the tweet had received. It also posted a number of insulting tweets aimed at the Adele and her baby.
Although @PerfFemale caused a stir amongst Adele’s fans, it wasn’t the only Twitter account making jokes at the singer’s expense.
“I really hope Adele’s baby is born dead. Can you imagine the record?” tweeted Pablo Arazia.
“Adele has had a baby. Never knew she was pregnant, just thought she was fat..” @wonitood_ wrote.
Even celebrities poked fun at Adele.
“Congratulations to Adele on the birth of her 68 pound 8 ounces bouncing baby boy,” tweeted comedian Joan Rivers.
Fans of the singer and opponents of cyberbullying fought back.
“The stuff being said about Adele is disgusting, the fat jokes and the wishing death upon her baby. It’s not funny it’s sickening,” tweeted @mileysrobot.
“I’d love to meet half these twitter trolls in real life and slap them. Wanting Adele’s baby dead is just sick and disturbing,” tweeted @LJ_Barca.
Adele herself has not commented on the vitriol. In fact, the 24-year-old singer has yet to confirm that she’s given birth. There is no announcement on Adele’s official website, and her spokesman told Reuters “no comment” when asked about the baby.
Photo via Karen Blue/Flickr
Mike Fenn is a former contributor to the Daily Dot whose beats included Reddit, YouTube, and all things WTF. His work has also appeared in Forbes and News.com.au.