- Harness the power of sun: The best solar-powered phone charges 7 Years Ago
- Majority of threats made since El Paso and Dayton shootings have been made online Thursday 8:00 PM
- Miley Cyrus tweets about cheating allegations and penis cake drama Thursday 6:32 PM
- ‘The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance’ dazzles with a timely tale Thursday 6:00 PM
- The DOJ emailed a white nationalist blog post to immigration judges Thursday 5:31 PM
- The Amazon rainforest is on fire–and people are using memes to cope Thursday 4:11 PM
- Microsoft contractors listened in on Xbox users Thursday 2:15 PM
- Anti-vaxxer assaults pro-vaccine lawmaker on Facebook Live (updated) Thursday 2:15 PM
- Oreos licked by singer Lewis Capaldi are being auctioned off on eBay Thursday 1:54 PM
- Zach Braff predicted Sean Spicer would be on ‘Dancing With the Stars’ 2 years ago Thursday 1:38 PM
- NYPD sergeant who watched Eric Garner die punished with lost vacation days Thursday 1:27 PM
- Brie Larson haters have a meltdown over a joke about Thor’s hammer Thursday 1:26 PM
- This comedian attempted to make fun of women on Twitter—and it did not go over well Thursday 1:04 PM
- Logan Paul wants to help the Amazon rainforest Thursday 12:36 PM
- Nutaku announces redesign and filters for LGBTQ porn games (updated) Thursday 12:25 PM
Twitter users welcome Adele’s baby to the world with insults and trolling
Apparently even newborns aren’t off-limits for Twitter trolls.
When pop singer Adele gave birth to her baby boy on Oct. 19, some Twitter users welcomed him into the world with insulting and mean-spirited tweets.
A tweet that read “Aw Adele gave birth to a baby. Is it fat and handicapped lol? Just murder it already lol” attracted much attention. Many users fired back at the author of the tweet, @PerfFemale, with one user even creating an account titled WE HATE @PerfFemale. Shortly after making the tweet, @PerfFemale was deleted.
A similar account, @Perfemale (warning: NSFW), was created on Oct. 21 and appeared to be basking in the attention the tweet had received. It also posted a number of insulting tweets aimed at the Adele and her baby.
Although @PerfFemale caused a stir amongst Adele’s fans, it wasn’t the only Twitter account making jokes at the singer’s expense.
“I really hope Adele’s baby is born dead. Can you imagine the record?” tweeted Pablo Arazia.
“Adele has had a baby. Never knew she was pregnant, just thought she was fat..” @wonitood_ wrote.
Even celebrities poked fun at Adele.
“Congratulations to Adele on the birth of her 68 pound 8 ounces bouncing baby boy,” tweeted comedian Joan Rivers.
Fans of the singer and opponents of cyberbullying fought back.
“The stuff being said about Adele is disgusting, the fat jokes and the wishing death upon her baby. It’s not funny it’s sickening,” tweeted @mileysrobot.
“I’d love to meet half these twitter trolls in real life and slap them. Wanting Adele’s baby dead is just sick and disturbing,” tweeted @LJ_Barca.
Adele herself has not commented on the vitriol. In fact, the 24-year-old singer has yet to confirm that she’s given birth. There is no announcement on Adele’s official website, and her spokesman told Reuters “no comment” when asked about the baby.
Photo via Karen Blue/Flickr
Mike Fenn is a former contributor to the Daily Dot whose beats included Reddit, YouTube, and all things WTF. His work has also appeared in Forbes and News.com.au.