- How to stream Tottenham Hotspur vs. Watford Friday 9:00 PM
- How to stream Barcelona vs. Eibar Friday 6:00 PM
- How to stream ‘Bigfoot’ Silva vs. Gabriel Gonzaga in BKFC Friday 6:00 PM
- Demi Lovato’s nude photos allegedly leaked on Snapchat Friday 3:07 PM
- NBA TV is the new streaming service for basketball fanatics Friday 3:02 PM
- California residents will get cell phone alerts seconds before earthquakes Friday 2:29 PM
- How to stream Real Madrid vs. RCD Mallorca Friday 2:00 PM
- Trump accused of ‘using the language of ethnic cleansing’ regarding Kurds Friday 1:42 PM
- Hillary Clinton also thinks Tulsi Gabbard is a Russian bot Friday 1:13 PM
- TikTok girls dancing to voicemails from sh*tty exes is a vibe Friday 12:34 PM
- Netflix reports strong growth—but it faces 3 major hurdles in Q4 Friday 12:33 PM
- Telegram is hosting videos of extrajudicial killings in Syria Friday 12:32 PM
- ‘El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie’ tops 8 million viewers in first week Friday 11:31 AM
- ‘Uncut Gems’ brings a high-stakes gambling risk to life Friday 11:29 AM
- Mark Zuckerberg gives a revisionist history about why he started Facebook in big speech Friday 10:52 AM
Twitter users welcome Adele’s baby to the world with insults and trolling
Apparently even newborns aren’t off-limits for Twitter trolls.
When pop singer Adele gave birth to her baby boy on Oct. 19, some Twitter users welcomed him into the world with insulting and mean-spirited tweets.
A tweet that read “Aw Adele gave birth to a baby. Is it fat and handicapped lol? Just murder it already lol” attracted much attention. Many users fired back at the author of the tweet, @PerfFemale, with one user even creating an account titled WE HATE @PerfFemale. Shortly after making the tweet, @PerfFemale was deleted.
A similar account, @Perfemale (warning: NSFW), was created on Oct. 21 and appeared to be basking in the attention the tweet had received. It also posted a number of insulting tweets aimed at the Adele and her baby.
Although @PerfFemale caused a stir amongst Adele’s fans, it wasn’t the only Twitter account making jokes at the singer’s expense.
“I really hope Adele’s baby is born dead. Can you imagine the record?” tweeted Pablo Arazia.
“Adele has had a baby. Never knew she was pregnant, just thought she was fat..” @wonitood_ wrote.
Even celebrities poked fun at Adele.
“Congratulations to Adele on the birth of her 68 pound 8 ounces bouncing baby boy,” tweeted comedian Joan Rivers.
Fans of the singer and opponents of cyberbullying fought back.
“The stuff being said about Adele is disgusting, the fat jokes and the wishing death upon her baby. It’s not funny it’s sickening,” tweeted @mileysrobot.
“I’d love to meet half these twitter trolls in real life and slap them. Wanting Adele’s baby dead is just sick and disturbing,” tweeted @LJ_Barca.
Adele herself has not commented on the vitriol. In fact, the 24-year-old singer has yet to confirm that she’s given birth. There is no announcement on Adele’s official website, and her spokesman told Reuters “no comment” when asked about the baby.
Photo via Karen Blue/Flickr
Mike Fenn is a former contributor to the Daily Dot whose beats included Reddit, YouTube, and all things WTF. His work has also appeared in Forbes and News.com.au.