- Twitter suspends Iranian state media outlets for harassing members of a religious minority 2 Years Ago
- Pro-MAGA pageant queen stripped of title over ‘offensive’ tweets Today 11:52 AM
- Marvel unveiled its Phase 4 plans at San Diego Comic-Con Today 9:16 AM
- How a queer Instagram is helping fight the opioid epidemic in Appalachia Today 6:30 AM
- Philadelphia to fire 13 officers for racist, violent Facebook posts Saturday 6:12 PM
- Nick Offerman is so down to play every single role in ‘Cats’ Saturday 4:27 PM
- Woman documents how airport staff broke her wheelchair Saturday 3:04 PM
- Funeral home allegedly posted photos of woman’s dead body on social media Saturday 1:56 PM
- Alinity Divine is being investigated after throwing her cat during stream (updated) Saturday 12:04 PM
- ‘Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee’ returns with Seinfeld making a racist joke about China Saturday 10:26 AM
- YouTubers Eugenia Cooney and Shane Dawson make a joint comeback Saturday 9:06 AM
- The crushing effects of Trump’s abortion ‘gag rule’ on healthcare Saturday 8:00 AM
- How to live stream Pacquiao vs. Thurman Saturday 6:20 AM
- Review: Hulu with Live TV ensures you always have something to watch Saturday 6:00 AM
- How to live stream UFC on ESPN 4: Rafael dos Anjos vs. Leon Edwards Saturday 5:49 AM
Photo via Gage Skidmore/Flickr (CC-BY-SA)
Trump has repeatedly attempted to discredit the DOJ investigation.
President Donald Trump quoted a Fox News reporter in a series of Thursday morning tweets to attack the ongoing probe into Russia’s interference in the 2016 election and the press.
Trump has repeatedly aimed to cast doubt on the validity of the Department of Justice investigation despite the United States intelligence community confirming that Russia attempted to influence the American election. The president has called the investigation a “witch hunt” and “fake news.”
On Thursday, the president continued that trend by directly quoting a Fox News reporter and saying the press was “purposely” publishing fake news.
“‘One of the things that has been lost in the politics of this situation is that the Russians collected and spread negative information…,” Trump wrote on Twitter. “…about then candidate Trump.’ Catherine Herridge @FoxNews. So why doesn’t Fake News report this? Witch Hunt! Purposely phony reporting.”
"One of the things that has been lost in the politics of this situation is that the Russians collected and spread negative information.....— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) July 27, 2017
...about then candidate Trump." Catherine Herridge @FoxNews. So why doesn't Fake News report this? Witch Hunt! Purposely phony reporting.— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) July 27, 2017
The tweets come as the investigation appears to be ramping up. Earlier this week, Trump’s adviser and son-in-law Jared Kushner said he “did not collude” with Russia following revelations that he met with a Russian lawyer during the campaign who promised compromising information on Hillary Clinton.
At the same time, Robert Mueller, the special counsel appointed to oversee the Russia investigation, is reportedly looking into the Trump family’s finances as part of the probe.
Andrew Wyrich is a politics staff writer for the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the internet. Andrew has written for USA Today, NorthJersey.com, and other newspapers and websites. His work has been recognized by the Society of the Silurians, Investigative Reporters & Editors (IRE), and the Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ).