- How to stream Barcelona vs. Slavia Praha in the Champions League Today 2:00 AM
- How to stream Chelsea vs. Ajax in the Champions League Today 1:00 AM
- People are using #WheresLindsey to criticize Graham over Trump ‘lynching’ defense Tuesday 8:22 PM
- 2 Proud Boys sentenced to 4 years in prison for attacking antifa protesters Tuesday 7:20 PM
- Paul Joseph Watson is very upset by bartender serving beer with her butt Tuesday 6:24 PM
- Twitter developing a policy to combat deepfakes Tuesday 5:28 PM
- The Nate Diaz vs. Jorge Masvidal bout at UFC 244 is perfect for NYC and its fight mecca Tuesday 5:27 PM
- Alexis Bledel named most dangerous online celebrity Tuesday 5:02 PM
- Kylie Jenner trademarks ‘rise and shine’ after meme success Tuesday 4:50 PM
- ‘Watchmen’ website expands what you know about its alt-history Tuesday 4:31 PM
- Smoke ’em, pass ’em Week 8: Mark Walton szn Tuesday 4:26 PM
- Venmo’s first-ever credit card to launch in 2020 Tuesday 3:46 PM
- Wet Kylo Ren may turn everyone to the dark side Tuesday 3:15 PM
- Man allegedly targeted trans women on dating app, robbed them at knifepoint Tuesday 3:02 PM
- Researchers expose how Amazon Echo and Google Home can steal passwords Tuesday 2:47 PM
President Donald Trump and Russian President Vladimir Putin will meet in Helsinki, Finland, on July 16.
The two have met before, at the G20 summit last year, but this will be the first extended meeting, and they will reportedly discuss a “range of national security issues.” In advance of the announcement, the president used his morning tweetstorm to tell people that Russia said the country was not involved in in the 2016 U.S. presidential election.
Russia continues to say they had nothing to do with Meddling in our Election! Where is the DNC Server, and why didn’t Shady James Comey and the now disgraced FBI agents take and closely examine it? Why isn’t Hillary/Russia being looked at? So many questions, so much corruption!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) June 28, 2018
The widely accepted consensus among U.S. intelligence agencies is that Russia engaged in a disinformation campaign to sway American voters.
While Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said that Russia engaging in election interference would be on Trump’s agenda during the summit, the president, when asked in the Oval Office yesterday, said that you “never know” what happens in meetings.
In the Oval Office yesterday I asked Pres Trump if Russia's election meddling would be on his agenda for his meeting with Putin.— Karen Travers (@karentravers) June 28, 2018
His answer: "You never know about meetings, what happens. Right? But I think a lot of good things can come with meetings with people." https://t.co/MlUYznSS8C
As news of the summit broke, and with the nearly simultaneous and curiously timed proclamation by Trump that Russia did not mettle in the election, Twitter had one question: Would Trump and Putin talk about the compromising information that possibly exists of the president.
You know, the pee tape?
Yay! The premiere of the pee tape has been scheduled for July 16 in Helsinki. Thanks, Putin! pic.twitter.com/r3RUnyJ0g5— ᗡႱJD (@XtasyMadeMeGay) June 28, 2018
Pee Tape to be released the same day. https://t.co/BjLb7w1KSH— Warner Crocker (@WarnerCrocker) June 28, 2018
More like to discuss the status of the pee tape— paodekuai (@YangXiao5) June 28, 2018
Finland has officially named July 16th #PeeTape day— rps (@bob_savas) June 28, 2018
"I hope we'll be talking about the pee pee tape and when it might be deleted." - @realDonaldTrump— Angry Wog (@The_Angry_Wog) June 28, 2018
Pee tape is sooooo real https://t.co/SYAityMUAX— Ben Yelin (@byelin) June 28, 2018
This summit will confirm the pee tape is real and that Putin personally owns Trump who will bend the knee in front of the entire world.— Marie (@Cuprikorn66) June 28, 2018
Literally every news organization that tweeted about the summit got a pee tape tweet in response. What a world.
David Covucci is the Layer 8 editor at the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the web. His work has appeared in Vice, the Huffington Post, Jezebel, Gothamist, and other publications. He is particularly interested in hearing any tips you have. Reach out at [email protected]