- Area 51 remix video proves it’s the summer of Lil Nas X 1 Year Ago
- ‘ICE will come’: Convenience store clerk threatens customers speaking Spanish 1 Year Ago
- Rand Paul dodges questions about 9/11 Victims Fund, says ‘watch Fox News’ 1 Year Ago
- Report: ‘Stranger Things’ season 4 to begin shooting in October Today 11:03 AM
- AT&T paid Michael Cohen to consult on net neutrality, FBI documents show Today 9:10 AM
- Mysterio’s ruse changes on a second viewing of ‘Far From Home’ Today 9:06 AM
- Twitter overturns Barrett Brown’s third permanent suspension Today 8:49 AM
- How to live stream Liga MX Today 7:56 AM
- The QBaby’s parents are already trying to profit off their kid’s fame Today 7:45 AM
- How do 4DX movies work? Today 7:00 AM
- ‘Terminator 2’s John Connor will return for ‘Terminator: Dark Fate’ Today 6:41 AM
- What are all these ‘Game of Thrones’ fans supposed to do now? Today 6:00 AM
- The new ‘Cats’ trailer is here to make you want to claw your eyes out Thursday 7:59 PM
- Bella Thorne claims Tana Mongeau ‘broke girl code’ in a series of messy tweets Thursday 7:00 PM
- Redditors keep this data engineer’s plants alive for him Thursday 5:20 PM
The meeting between the two leaders is set for July.
President Donald Trump and Russian President Vladimir Putin will meet in Helsinki, Finland, on July 16.
The two have met before, at the G20 summit last year, but this will be the first extended meeting, and they will reportedly discuss a “range of national security issues.” In advance of the announcement, the president used his morning tweetstorm to tell people that Russia said the country was not involved in in the 2016 U.S. presidential election.
Russia continues to say they had nothing to do with Meddling in our Election! Where is the DNC Server, and why didn’t Shady James Comey and the now disgraced FBI agents take and closely examine it? Why isn’t Hillary/Russia being looked at? So many questions, so much corruption!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) June 28, 2018
The widely accepted consensus among U.S. intelligence agencies is that Russia engaged in a disinformation campaign to sway American voters.
While Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said that Russia engaging in election interference would be on Trump’s agenda during the summit, the president, when asked in the Oval Office yesterday, said that you “never know” what happens in meetings.
In the Oval Office yesterday I asked Pres Trump if Russia's election meddling would be on his agenda for his meeting with Putin.— Karen Travers (@karentravers) June 28, 2018
His answer: "You never know about meetings, what happens. Right? But I think a lot of good things can come with meetings with people." https://t.co/MlUYznSS8C
As news of the summit broke, and with the nearly simultaneous and curiously timed proclamation by Trump that Russia did not mettle in the election, Twitter had one question: Would Trump and Putin talk about the compromising information that possibly exists of the president.
You know, the pee tape?
Yay! The premiere of the pee tape has been scheduled for July 16 in Helsinki. Thanks, Putin! pic.twitter.com/r3RUnyJ0g5— ᗡႱJD (@XtasyMadeMeGay) June 28, 2018
Pee Tape to be released the same day. https://t.co/BjLb7w1KSH— Warner Crocker (@WarnerCrocker) June 28, 2018
More like to discuss the status of the pee tape— paodekuai (@YangXiao5) June 28, 2018
Finland has officially named July 16th #PeeTape day— rps (@bob_savas) June 28, 2018
"I hope we'll be talking about the pee pee tape and when it might be deleted." - @realDonaldTrump— Angry Wog (@The_Angry_Wog) June 28, 2018
Pee tape is sooooo real https://t.co/SYAityMUAX— Ben Yelin (@byelin) June 28, 2018
This summit will confirm the pee tape is real and that Putin personally owns Trump who will bend the knee in front of the entire world.— Marie (@Cuprikorn66) June 28, 2018
Literally every news organization that tweeted about the summit got a pee tape tweet in response. What a world.
David Covucci is the Layer 8 editor at the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the web. His work has appeared in Vice, the Huffington Post, Jezebel, Gothamist, and other publications. He is particularly interested in hearing any tips you have. Reach out at [email protected]