- Netflix announces Samurai version of ‘Game of Thrones’ 3 Months Ago
- The 8-Bit Guy: Why retro tech and restoration isn’t just for ‘old white guys’ Today 7:00 AM
- How to watch the 2019 MTV Awards for free Today 7:00 AM
- Why Hillary Clinton is getting blamed for a recent spate of unconnected deaths Today 6:30 AM
- How to watch Nick Jr. online for free Today 5:30 AM
- People are not falling for these ICE ‘propaganda’ photos Sunday 4:23 PM
- CLIF Bar and KIND Snacks are in a bizarre social media war Sunday 2:55 PM
- Caillou is how tall? Sunday 1:32 PM
- No, that video of a Boston Dynamics robot attacking its creators is not real Sunday 12:40 PM
- Alex Jones places $1 million bounty on culprit who planted child porn on his InfoWars server Sunday 12:03 PM
- ‘Stranger Things’ star’s new Netflix prank show is receiving backlash Sunday 9:04 AM
- How to watch ‘City on a Hill’ for free Sunday 8:00 AM
- How to watch ‘Euphoria’ for free Sunday 7:00 AM
- Meet the home brewer turning beer into a case for net neutrality Sunday 6:30 AM
- How to watch the U.S. vs. Chile at the World Cup for free Sunday 6:15 AM
Trump is already fundraising off the Mueller report—even though no one’s seen it
Gage Skidmore/Flickr (CC-BY-SA)
We knew it was coming.
In a fundraising email with the subject line “VINDICATED” sent on Monday, the campaign claimed, “WITCH HUNT INVESTIGATION CONCLUDED: NO COLLUSION OR OBSTRUCTION.”
According to Attorney General William Barr’s summary of the report, Mueller’s team did not find evidence that the Trump campaign colluded with Russia in the 2016 election.
However, the report did not exonerate Trump on the issue of obstruction of justice, as the president claimed in a tweet. The fundraising email reiterated the point though, saying, “NO COLLUSION, NO OBSTRUCTION — COMPLETE EXONERATION.”
Barr’s letter quotes Mueller’s report, saying, “while this report does not conclude that the President committed a crime, it also does not exonerate him.”
The fundraising email promises a quadruple match for every donation based on these statements.
On Sunday, Associated Press reporter Zeke Miller tweeted a screenshot of a fundraising text message from the Trump campaign. “NO COLLUSION AND COMPLETE EXONERATION,” the text states. “Dems raised millions off a lie. Now we FIGHT BACK! Donate in the NEXT HOUR and it’ll be QUADRUPLED.”
Trump fundraising off Barr letter pic.twitter.com/jaONvpPCCI
— Zeke Miller (@ZekeJMiller) March 24, 2019
The message also pops up on Trump’s website: “NO COLLUSION & COMPLETE EXONERATION,” the message reads. “Dems raised millions off a lie. Now we FIGHT BACK! Donate in the NEXT HOUR & it’ll be QUADRUPLED!”
Trump filed for reelection with the Federal Elections Commission on the day of his inauguration, Jan. 20. 2017, and has campaigned repeatedly since then, continuing to hold rallies as he did during his 2016 campaign.
The Daily Dot reached out to the Trump campaign for comment but did not receive a response by press time.
Ellen Ioanes is the FOIA reporter at the Daily Dot, where she covers U.S. politics. She is a graduate of Columbia Journalism School, and her work has appeared in the Guardian, the Center for Public Integrity, HuffPost India, and more.