- How to watch Turner Classic Movies for free 4 Weeks Ago
- How to watch Real Madrid vs. Athletic Bilbao online for free 4 Weeks Ago
- ‘Star Trek’s Jonathan Frakes calls out your lies with this new meme Saturday 3:46 PM
- #JusticeForLucca trends after video shows police slam Black teen’s head into pavement Saturday 3:11 PM
- The internet is shocked to learn that Goombas do, in fact, have arms Saturday 2:02 PM
- PayPal, GoFundMe cut off armed militia that detains migrants at border Saturday 1:16 PM
- Barnwood theft may be on the rise because of ‘Fixer Upper’—and fans aren’t having it Saturday 12:23 PM
- Literary Twitter calls out Dzanc Books for Islamophobic, racist novel Saturday 11:40 AM
- How to watch Crawford vs. Khan online Saturday 10:00 AM
- Beyoncé has 2 more projects coming to Netflix after ‘Homecoming’ Saturday 9:53 AM
- How to watch Danny Garcia vs. Adrian Granados for free Saturday 9:00 AM
- The ‘Feeling Cute Challenge’ turns ugly after correctional officers abuse it Saturday 7:30 AM
- How to watch ‘How High 2’ for free Saturday 7:00 AM
- Swipe This! My ex-BFF keeps sliding into my DMs, but I don’t want to be friends Saturday 6:30 AM
- Watch ‘I Am Somebody’s Child: The Regina Louise Story’ for free Saturday 6:00 AM
Trump is already fundraising off the Mueller report—even though no one’s seen it
Gage Skidmore/Flickr (CC-BY-SA)
We knew it was coming.
In a fundraising email with the subject line “VINDICATED” sent on Monday, the campaign claimed, “WITCH HUNT INVESTIGATION CONCLUDED: NO COLLUSION OR OBSTRUCTION.”
According to Attorney General William Barr’s summary of the report, Mueller’s team did not find evidence that the Trump campaign colluded with Russia in the 2016 election.
However, the report did not exonerate Trump on the issue of obstruction of justice, as the president claimed in a tweet. The fundraising email reiterated the point though, saying, “NO COLLUSION, NO OBSTRUCTION — COMPLETE EXONERATION.”
Barr’s letter quotes Mueller’s report, saying, “while this report does not conclude that the President committed a crime, it also does not exonerate him.”
The fundraising email promises a quadruple match for every donation based on these statements.
On Sunday, Associated Press reporter Zeke Miller tweeted a screenshot of a fundraising text message from the Trump campaign. “NO COLLUSION AND COMPLETE EXONERATION,” the text states. “Dems raised millions off a lie. Now we FIGHT BACK! Donate in the NEXT HOUR and it’ll be QUADRUPLED.”
Trump fundraising off Barr letter pic.twitter.com/jaONvpPCCI
— Zeke Miller (@ZekeJMiller) March 24, 2019
The message also pops up on Trump’s website: “NO COLLUSION & COMPLETE EXONERATION,” the message reads. “Dems raised millions off a lie. Now we FIGHT BACK! Donate in the NEXT HOUR & it’ll be QUADRUPLED!”
Trump filed for reelection with the Federal Elections Commission on the day of his inauguration, Jan. 20. 2017, and has campaigned repeatedly since then, continuing to hold rallies as he did during his 2016 campaign.
The Daily Dot reached out to the Trump campaign for comment but did not receive a response by press time.
Ellen Ioanes is the FOIA reporter at the Daily Dot, where she covers U.S. politics. She is a graduate of Columbia Journalism School, and her work has appeared in the Guardian, the Center for Public Integrity, HuffPost India, and more.