- ‘American Dirt’ controversy inspires meme about Latinx stereotypes in literature Wednesday 9:02 PM
- What is the TikTok ‘flex challenge’? Wednesday 8:03 PM
- GoFundMe to send ‘Target Tori’ on vacation raises more than $30K Wednesday 6:54 PM
- Furries stop domestic assault in viral video Wednesday 6:10 PM
- Gritty under police investigation for allegedly punching a teen fan Wednesday 6:04 PM
- Twitter users throw animal parties with emoji in new meme Wednesday 5:21 PM
- Woman who went viral supporting Soleimani killing exposed as Libyan militia lobbyist Wednesday 5:01 PM
- Jeff Bezos subtweets Saudi prince following phone hack report Wednesday 3:29 PM
- ‘Yeah, good. OK’ Bernie Sanders meme is a new way to dismiss people Wednesday 3:10 PM
- ‘Vanderpump Rules’ recap: Petty displays of affection Wednesday 2:12 PM
- Makeup artist transforms into Timothée Chalamet on TikTok Wednesday 1:54 PM
- Iguanas are falling from trees—and people are selling them online for food Wednesday 1:02 PM
- 75,000 sign petition to fire Wendy Williams after ‘cleft lip’ comment about Joaquin Phoenix Wednesday 12:30 PM
- Kim Kardashian says Kylie Jenner’s setting spray is ‘cheap sh*t’ Wednesday 11:59 AM
- Trump continues to demand Apple unlock iPhones for the government Wednesday 11:46 AM
In a fundraising email with the subject line “VINDICATED” sent on Monday, the campaign claimed, “WITCH HUNT INVESTIGATION CONCLUDED: NO COLLUSION OR OBSTRUCTION.”
According to Attorney General William Barr’s summary of the report, Mueller’s team did not find evidence that the Trump campaign colluded with Russia in the 2016 election.
However, the report did not exonerate Trump on the issue of obstruction of justice, as the president claimed in a tweet. The fundraising email reiterated the point though, saying, “NO COLLUSION, NO OBSTRUCTION — COMPLETE EXONERATION.”
Barr’s letter quotes Mueller’s report, saying, “while this report does not conclude that the President committed a crime, it also does not exonerate him.”
The fundraising email promises a quadruple match for every donation based on these statements.
On Sunday, Associated Press reporter Zeke Miller tweeted a screenshot of a fundraising text message from the Trump campaign. “NO COLLUSION AND COMPLETE EXONERATION,” the text states. “Dems raised millions off a lie. Now we FIGHT BACK! Donate in the NEXT HOUR and it’ll be QUADRUPLED.”
Trump fundraising off Barr letter pic.twitter.com/jaONvpPCCI— Zeke Miller (@ZekeJMiller) March 24, 2019
The message also pops up on Trump’s website: “NO COLLUSION & COMPLETE EXONERATION,” the message reads. “Dems raised millions off a lie. Now we FIGHT BACK! Donate in the NEXT HOUR & it’ll be QUADRUPLED!”
Trump filed for reelection with the Federal Elections Commission on the day of his inauguration, Jan. 20. 2017, and has campaigned repeatedly since then, continuing to hold rallies as he did during his 2016 campaign.
The Daily Dot reached out to the Trump campaign for comment but did not receive a response by press time.
Ellen Ioanes is the FOIA reporter at the Daily Dot, where she covers U.S. politics. She is a graduate of Columbia Journalism School, and her work has appeared in the Guardian, the Center for Public Integrity, HuffPost India, and more.