- The 16-inch MacBook Pro is a beast, and it has a decent keyboard 8 Months Ago
- This group is scanning thousands of faces in Congress today to protest facial recognition 8 Months Ago
- Why everyone is debating Pete Buttigieg’s Medicare for All stance? 8 Months Ago
- The Motorola Razr is a foldable homage to millennial nostalgia Today 10:22 AM
- The ‘I’m baby’ meme gets much more literal on TikTok Today 10:20 AM
- MrDeadMoth avoids jail time for assaulting pregnant partner during live stream Today 9:21 AM
- Deval Patrick 2020 fever is not catching on Today 9:08 AM
- How to stream Steelers vs. Browns on Thursday Night Football Today 8:13 AM
- How to stream Mexico vs. Netherlands in the U-17 World Cup semis Today 6:46 AM
- ‘Waves’ wrestles with the family drama and breaks it in half Today 6:30 AM
- QAnon-touting congressman sneaks ‘Epstein Didn’t Kill Himself’ into tweets Wednesday 7:12 PM
- Ocasio-Cortez met a famous drag queen–and the right melted down Wednesday 6:09 PM
- Woman says Lyft driver tried to kidnap her Wednesday 5:18 PM
- Debunking the right-wing conspiracy theories from the impeachment hearing Wednesday 4:29 PM
- Maroon 5 approves of the latest TikTok trend Wednesday 3:54 PM
In a fundraising email with the subject line “VINDICATED” sent on Monday, the campaign claimed, “WITCH HUNT INVESTIGATION CONCLUDED: NO COLLUSION OR OBSTRUCTION.”
According to Attorney General William Barr’s summary of the report, Mueller’s team did not find evidence that the Trump campaign colluded with Russia in the 2016 election.
However, the report did not exonerate Trump on the issue of obstruction of justice, as the president claimed in a tweet. The fundraising email reiterated the point though, saying, “NO COLLUSION, NO OBSTRUCTION — COMPLETE EXONERATION.”
Barr’s letter quotes Mueller’s report, saying, “while this report does not conclude that the President committed a crime, it also does not exonerate him.”
The fundraising email promises a quadruple match for every donation based on these statements.
On Sunday, Associated Press reporter Zeke Miller tweeted a screenshot of a fundraising text message from the Trump campaign. “NO COLLUSION AND COMPLETE EXONERATION,” the text states. “Dems raised millions off a lie. Now we FIGHT BACK! Donate in the NEXT HOUR and it’ll be QUADRUPLED.”
Trump fundraising off Barr letter pic.twitter.com/jaONvpPCCI— Zeke Miller (@ZekeJMiller) March 24, 2019
The message also pops up on Trump’s website: “NO COLLUSION & COMPLETE EXONERATION,” the message reads. “Dems raised millions off a lie. Now we FIGHT BACK! Donate in the NEXT HOUR & it’ll be QUADRUPLED!”
Trump filed for reelection with the Federal Elections Commission on the day of his inauguration, Jan. 20. 2017, and has campaigned repeatedly since then, continuing to hold rallies as he did during his 2016 campaign.
The Daily Dot reached out to the Trump campaign for comment but did not receive a response by press time.
Ellen Ioanes is the FOIA reporter at the Daily Dot, where she covers U.S. politics. She is a graduate of Columbia Journalism School, and her work has appeared in the Guardian, the Center for Public Integrity, HuffPost India, and more.