- Hallmark pulls ad featuring lesbian couple after conservative protest 1 Year Ago
- Actress’ tweet calling out fellow passenger for not moving seats backfires Today 10:43 AM
- The 10 most influential hashtags of the decade Today 6:30 AM
- A lonely grandma sought family to spend Christmas with on Craigslist Saturday 5:45 PM
- Airbnb bans white supremacists tied to Iron March forum Saturday 5:07 PM
- Did a Twitter user really get tricked into naming baby ‘Jack Ingof’? Saturday 4:46 PM
- State of emergency declared in New Orleans following ‘cyberattack’ Saturday 4:12 PM
- Video shows boy getting beat up–mom says it’s because he wore MAGA hat Saturday 3:54 PM
- Billboard changing albums chart to count YouTube streams Saturday 2:43 PM
- TikTok’s 20 most popular songs of 2019 Saturday 2:14 PM
- Greek gods memes are flooding Reddit thanks to TV reboot rumors Saturday 1:47 PM
- Anti-impeachment protesters aimlessly fumble through halls of Congress Saturday 12:54 PM
- Everything we know so far about the Xbox Series X Saturday 12:17 PM
- ASMR YouTuber Life with MaK says she was branded a ‘Nazi’ by online smear campaign Saturday 10:46 AM
- Voters duped by fake ex-Bloomberg intern’s tweet about being fired Saturday 9:47 AM
Late Thursday it was revealed that President Donald Trump‘s former personal lawyer, Michael Cohen, claims then-candidate Trump was aware his son, Donald Trump Jr., was going to take a meeting with Russian nationals promising compromising material on his opponent in 2016, Hilary Clinton.
The meeting—which has become the focus of an investigation of the president’s campaign and possible collusion with Russia—consisted of the president’s son, the president’s campaign manager, and the president’s top adviser, who is also his son-in-law, and it took place in the building Trump owns. Which he was in at the time.
It’s probable he was aware of it.
While the president has denied any knowledge of it, saying he only learned of about it a year later, Cohen said that was patently false, CNN reported.
Michael Cohen, President Donald Trump’s former personal attorney, claims that then-candidate Trump knew in advance about the June 2016 meeting in Trump Tower in which Russians were expected to offer his campaign dirt on Hillary Clinton, sources with knowledge tell CNN. Cohen is willing to make that assertion to special counsel Robert Mueller, the sources said.
That story would seem to be a very big piece of evidence in the case against Trump possibly conspiring with a foreign power, but fret not, the president denied it on Twitter this morning.
Trump didn’t offer any defense of his son in his tweets, where he accused Cohen of lying.
Arrived back in Washington last night from a very emotional reopening of a major U.S. Steel plant in Granite City, Illinois, only to be greeted with the ridiculous news that the highly conflicted Robert Mueller and his gang of 13 Angry Democrats obviously cannot find Collusion...— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) July 27, 2018
....,the only Collusion with Russia was with the Democrats, so now they are looking at my Tweets (along with 53 million other people) - the rigged Witch Hunt continues! How stupid and unfair to our Country....And so the Fake News doesn’t waste my time with dumb questions, NO,....— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) July 27, 2018
.....I did NOT know of the meeting with my son, Don jr. Sounds to me like someone is trying to make up stories in order to get himself out of an unrelated jam (Taxi cabs maybe?). He even retained Bill and Crooked Hillary’s lawyer. Gee, I wonder if they helped him make the choice!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) July 27, 2018
Trump has defended his son about the Trump Tower meeting on Twitter before.
My son Donald openly gave his e-mails to the media & authorities whereas Crooked Hillary Clinton deleted (& acid washed) her 33,000 e-mails!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) July 22, 2017
My son Donald did a good job last night. He was open, transparent and innocent. This is the greatest Witch Hunt in political history. Sad!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) July 12, 2017
Trump Jr., who is very vocal on Twitter about the pretty much every news story, has not tweeted in response.
David Covucci is the Layer 8 editor at the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the web. His work has appeared in Vice, the Huffington Post, Jezebel, Gothamist, and other publications. He is particularly interested in hearing any tips you have. Reach out at [email protected]