- How to stream Manchester City vs. Bournemouth 2 Years Ago
- Catholic priest allegedly spent church money on Grindr hookups 2 Years Ago
- Nicolás Maduro’s English Twitter account was suspended with no public explanation Today 2:06 PM
- Man claims ex-girlfriend killed his dog after he broke up with her Today 1:02 PM
- What are BitTorrent downloads and how do they work? Today 12:58 PM
- ICE cuts the cord on real immigrant hotline after being featured in ‘Orange Is the New Black’ Today 10:49 AM
- The 10 best music podcasts for artist interviews and criticism in 2019 Today 10:41 AM
- How a socialist Twitch streamer landed in a feud with Dan Crenshaw Today 10:07 AM
- How to prepare for your fantasy football draft (and season) Today 9:00 AM
- Kit Harington is joining the MCU–and people are guessing which character he will play Today 8:48 AM
- How to live stream Juan Francisco Estrada vs. Dewayne Beamon Today 8:00 AM
- The 5 best free torrent clients you can download in 2019 Today 8:00 AM
- How to stream Saints vs. Jets in NFL preseason action Today 7:49 AM
- How to stream Chiefs vs. 49ers in NFL preseason action Today 7:36 AM
- How to live stream Bellator 225: Mitrione vs. Kharitonov Today 7:30 AM
CNN called the election just after 8pm ET. As of that time, Northam was leading Republican challenger Ed Gillespie 54.4 percent to 42.4 percent.
Northam, 58, served as Gov. Terry McAuliffe’s lieutenant governor and as an Army doctor and pediatric neurologist. Former President Barack Obama stumped for Northam last month, where he slammed the current political climate as “nasty” and implied that the Democratic candidate would help “bring people together.”
His rival, Gillespie, received a resounding endorsement from Trump and the president encouraged support of the candidate several times on Twitter.
As recently as Tuesday morning, Trump called Northam “weak on crime, weak on our GREAT VETS” and lambasted him for being “anti-Second Amendment.”
The race in Virginia was expected to be close and has been seen as somewhat of a litmus test for post-Trump voters. The election in Virginia, projected to be much closer than New Jersey’s gubernatorial election, was seen as an indication of how voters are reacting to the policies of Trump and his administration.
Virginia is the only southeastern state that Trump lost during the 2016 presidential election.
Andrew Wyrich is a politics staff writer for the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the internet. Andrew has written for USA Today, NorthJersey.com, and other newspapers and websites. His work has been recognized by the Society of the Silurians, Investigative Reporters & Editors (IRE), and the Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ).