- Slack’s users roast the app’s new logo 11 Months Ago
- What I’ve learned after 100 hours on Sling TV 11 Months Ago
- Korean action thriller ‘Revenger’ fights its way through mediocrity 11 Months Ago
- Everything you need to know about the Women’s March 2019 controversies Today 6:30 AM
- Everyone is choking Sasuke Uchiha in this ‘Naruto’ anime meme Today 6:30 AM
- Right-wing petition wants Rashida Tlaib impeached—here’s why that won’t happen Today 6:30 AM
- How to watch ‘Star Trek: Discovery’ season 2 for free Today 6:00 AM
- How to watch ‘Supernatural’ online for free Today 5:30 AM
- How to watch ‘Million Dollar Listing Los Angeles’ online free Today 5:00 AM
- The trailer for the final episodes of ‘Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt’ is here Today 1:52 AM
- Guy gets roasted for throwing razor in the toilet to protest Gillette Wednesday 9:23 PM
- Experts warn of uptick in ‘Ryuk’ ransomware after hackers net $3.7 million Wednesday 7:03 PM
- Video game composer boycotts Gillette after anti-toxic masculinity ad Wednesday 6:05 PM
- Steve Carell sitcom ‘Space Force’ heading to Netflix Wednesday 5:30 PM
- Ocasio-Cortez’s ‘run train’ phrase becomes conservative sex controversy Wednesday 5:25 PM
Spokesperson says White House should’ve ‘done better’ with Rob Porter allegations
The White House’s initial response has been criticized.
White House spokesperson Raj Shah said on Thursday it was “fair” to say that the administration should have “done better” in dealing with the allegations of domestic abuse against Rob Porter, the staff secretary who resigned earlier this week.
“I think it’s fair to say that we all could have done better over the last few days in dealing with this situation,” Shah said, filling in for White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders. “But this was a Rob Porter that I and many others had dealt with… and the emerging reports were not reflective of the individual who we had come to know.”
Shah also called the allegations “troubling.”
Raj Shah on abuse allegations against Rob Porter: "I think it's fair to say that we all could have done better over the last few days in dealing with this situation." pic.twitter.com/Nq9Xlwv3Wz
— Washington Examiner (@dcexaminer) February 8, 2018
Porter’s ex-wives, Jennie Willoughby and Colbie Holderness, both said he was physically abusive. The New York Times reported that the White House knew of the allegations, which contributed to a delay in him receiving security clearance.
When Willoughby first came forward with her story, Kelly said Porter was a “man of true integrity and honor” and said that he was “proud to serve alongside him.” After Holderness shared photos of her black eye, Kelly released a new statement saying he was “shocked” by the allegations and that “there is no place for domestic violence in our society.”
Kelly’s initial response mirrored the way Trump and his administration have typically disregarded allegations of sexual harassment and misconduct.
Shah, who has become a more prominent figure in the administration’s communications department, reportedly called then-candidate Trump a “deplorable” in 2016 when he worked at the Republican National Committee. He also reportedly said in messages that the release of the Access Hollywood tape where Trump bragged about sexually assaulting women was “some justice.”
Andrew Wyrich is a politics staff writer for the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the internet. Andrew has written for USA Today, NorthJersey.com, and other newspapers and websites. His work has been recognized by the Society of the Silurians, Investigative Reporters & Editors (IRE), and the Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ).