- Boys’ sleepovers vs. girls’ sleepovers meme takes stereotypes to absurd heights Tuesday 7:30 PM
- Petition wants Keanu Reeves to be named ‘Time Person of the Year’ Tuesday 6:33 PM
- 8 women accuse Max Landis of sexual, emotional abuse Tuesday 5:37 PM
- Taylor Swift accused of copying Beyoncé—again Tuesday 5:00 PM
- Everything you need to know about Libra, Facebook’s new cryptocurrency Tuesday 4:45 PM
- Netflix just renewed ‘Queer Eye’ for 2 more seasons Tuesday 4:32 PM
- YouTube’s queen of failed robots just unveiled a one-of-a-kind Tesla truck Tuesday 3:58 PM
- AOC infuriates conservatives with ‘concentration camps’ remark Tuesday 3:33 PM
- TikTok users explore identity with Lin Manuel Miranda-inspired meme Tuesday 3:24 PM
- TikTok apology video inspires new duet meme Tuesday 2:51 PM
- Man sues brewery after identifying as female to get beer discount Tuesday 2:31 PM
- Here’s what’s coming and going on Hulu in July 2019 Tuesday 2:22 PM
- This biotech company’s logo is almost straight out of Resident Evil Tuesday 1:26 PM
- Trump says mass deportations to start next week Tuesday 12:28 PM
- GOP pollster bothered by broken elevator in Austria blames socialism Tuesday 10:50 AM
The protesters were yelling about ‘Sodom and Gomorrah.’
The protesters interrupted a speech by the 2020 hopeful in Iowa by shouting about “Sodom and Gomorrah,” two biblical cities supposedly destroyed by God. One protester began yelling after Buttigieg, who is gay, addressed his marriage.
After the audience applauded, one man could be heard shouting the anti-LGBTQ remarks. Buttigieg looked in his direction and said “hello again” before moving on with his speech. As the man persisted, the crowd began chanting the Democrats name.
“You know, the good news is, the condition of my soul is in the hands of God, but the Iowa Caucuses are up to you,” Buttigieg said after the man was escorted out of the crowd.
"You know, the good news is, the condition of my soul is in the hands of God but the Iowa Caucuses are up to you."
— The Hill (@thehill) April 17, 2019
Later, another protester continued yelling similar remarks. The 2020 hopeful responded: “We got it. Promise you, we got it.”
“Remember the beauty of our democracy: everyone here gets the exact same voice and vote. Feels like the numbers are on our side.”
The city of Sodom was supposedly destroyed by God after angels were unable to find “righteous men” within it. The name of the city’s denizens, Sodomites, is a derogatory term for homosexuals.
Recent 2020 Democratic primary polls have shown Buttigieg rising above more well-known candidates like Sen. Cory Booker (D-N.J.), Sen. Amy Klobuchar (D-Minn.), and Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand (D-N.Y.).
Andrew Wyrich is a politics staff writer for the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the internet. Andrew has written for USA Today, NorthJersey.com, and other newspapers and websites. His work has been recognized by the Society of the Silurians, Investigative Reporters & Editors (IRE), and the Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ).