- Walmart is suing Tesla over fires at stores with solar panels 8 Months Ago
- Jeremy Renner asks nicely for Sony to let Spider-Man back in the MCU 8 Months Ago
- The best and safest torrenting sites you should be using in 2019 Today 2:47 PM
- ‘Beyoncé’s Assistant for a Day’ creator is releasing more games on storytelling app Yarn Today 1:54 PM
- Why does everyone keep falling for that Instagram and Facebook hoax? Today 1:46 PM
- A bunch of celebrities fell for that viral Instagram hoax Today 1:17 PM
- Former Die Antwoord crew member says video shows ‘homophobic attack’ Today 1:13 PM
- How to stream all the MLS Rivalry Week matches Today 1:13 PM
- Nevada officials issue warnings for people prepping to ‘Storm Area 51’ Today 12:55 PM
- These are the 8 best fighting games available today Today 12:43 PM
- Pluto TV and the NFL launch the NFL Channel Today 12:40 PM
- Trump: ‘I am the chosen one’ Today 12:33 PM
- Video shows arrest of 15-year-old who threatened school shooting online Today 12:11 PM
- Woman finds massive diamond after watching YouTube video on how to find diamonds Today 11:30 AM
- Up to 20 states are banding together to probe Facebook, Google Today 11:08 AM
Democratic House Leader Nancy Pelosi’s cool exit from the White House after her fiery televised put-down of President Donald Trump really caught the nation’s attention. In the days since, her orange coat has become the symbol of rebel sass.
The president’s meeting with Pelosi and Sen. Chuck Schumer quickly disintegrated into a spat over funding for Trump’s Southern border wall, which looks set to provoke a government shutdown later in the month.
Pelosi had Trump own that, provoking the president by branding the potential situation a “Trump shutdown.” When Trump tried to bite back, Pelosi demanded his respect and reminded him of her party’s victory in the House last election.
The startling exchange stuck the public for several reasons, least of all that someone had the guts to challenge the smack-talking president.
“It’s like a manhood thing for him,” she continued at a meeting with House Democrats afterward, according to reports. “As if manhood could ever be associated with him.”
As photographs surfaced of Pelosi leaving the White House, however, her striking orange swing coat and sunglasses became the meme of the moment.
Me leaving your Holiday Party after starting major drama pic.twitter.com/BRf98b9R2g— phil (@PrettyGoodPhil) December 11, 2018
The orange coat is even the subject of a parody Twitter account.
Some pointed out that the coat was the same worn by the Democrat at President Obama’s inauguration in 2013 and praised the extra shot this represented.
The most important thing to come out of today's news was that Nancy Pelosi plus a dark orange coat and cool shades equal pure badassery.— Lana Slavitt (@somuchweirdness) December 12, 2018
Bonus: she may have been throwing subtle shade since she wore the same coat to Obama's Jan 2013 inauguration. #TeamPelosi #TrumpShutdown pic.twitter.com/Myb37pzwmH
Now, it seems, lots of people really wanted to know where they can get that coat.
downloading kim k’s screenshop app but only because i need to have...nancy pelosi’s coat??? pic.twitter.com/4cc1Q54ly3— rebecca girimonte (@beccakristin) December 11, 2018
As the New York Times reports, the Glamis coat was part of designer MaxMara’s 2013 collection and is no longer available to purchase.
Disappointment didn’t last, however. On Wednesday, the company’s creative director Ian Griffiths announced that he plans to ride that meme right to the bank and that the Pelosi coat will return in 2019, available in a range of colors.
David Gilmour is a reporter who specializes in national politics, internet culture, and technology. He previously covered civil liberties, crime, and politics for Vice.