- Everything you need to know about gaming chat client Discord 3 Months Ago
- Report: Your Facebook feed is still ripe with fake news 3 Months Ago
- The 10 best movies based on true stories on Hulu Today 7:00 AM
- Prager University is fighting ‘leftist indoctrination’ on college campuses Today 7:00 AM
- Can ‘Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3’ recover from its disastrous drama? Today 6:00 AM
- Devin Nunes is suing Twitter over parody accounts of his mom, cow Monday 8:15 PM
- The best new movies at SXSW 2019 Monday 7:55 PM
- #AbledsAreWeird demonstrates how not to treat people with disabilities Monday 7:33 PM
- YouTubers keep uploading racist meme anthem played by New Zealand shooter Monday 5:38 PM
- Myspace confirms that a decade-plus of user-uploaded music is gone Monday 5:03 PM
- ‘Love, Death & Robots’ suffers from blatant sexism Monday 4:38 PM
- Khloe Kardashian faces backlash for Instagram post saying to ‘love thy racist neighbor’ Monday 4:07 PM
- This Twitter user wants to expose white YouTubers for racist, transphobic content Monday 3:55 PM
- Trump retweeted a QAnon supporter during his Twitter bender Monday 1:24 PM
- Katrina Pierson supports Trump tweeting more about Fox than New Zealand shooting Monday 1:19 PM
You’ll be able to buy one in 2019.
Democratic House Leader Nancy Pelosi’s cool exit from the White House after her fiery televised put-down of President Donald Trump really caught the nation’s attention. In the days since, her orange coat has become the symbol of rebel sass.
The president’s meeting with Pelosi and Sen. Chuck Schumer quickly disintegrated into a spat over funding for Trump’s Southern border wall, which looks set to provoke a government shutdown later in the month.
Pelosi had Trump own that, provoking the president by branding the potential situation a “Trump shutdown.” When Trump tried to bite back, Pelosi demanded his respect and reminded him of her party’s victory in the House last election.
The startling exchange stuck the public for several reasons, least of all that someone had the guts to challenge the smack-talking president.
“It’s like a manhood thing for him,” she continued at a meeting with House Democrats afterward, according to reports. “As if manhood could ever be associated with him.”
As photographs surfaced of Pelosi leaving the White House, however, her striking orange swing coat and sunglasses became the meme of the moment.
Me leaving your Holiday Party after starting major drama pic.twitter.com/BRf98b9R2g
— phil (@PrettyGoodPhil) December 11, 2018
— Jen (@BionicJen77) December 13, 2018
The orange coat is even the subject of a parody Twitter account.
Some pointed out that the coat was the same worn by the Democrat at President Obama’s inauguration in 2013 and praised the extra shot this represented.
The most important thing to come out of today's news was that Nancy Pelosi plus a dark orange coat and cool shades equal pure badassery.
— Lana Slavitt (@somuchweirdness) December 12, 2018
Now, it seems, lots of people really wanted to know where they can get that coat.
— (((Melanie See))) (@seemomster) December 13, 2018
downloading kim k’s screenshop app but only because i need to have…nancy pelosi’s coat??? pic.twitter.com/4cc1Q54ly3
— rebecca girimonte (@beccakristin) December 11, 2018
As the New York Times reports, the Glamis coat was part of designer MaxMara’s 2013 collection and is no longer available to purchase.
Disappointment didn’t last, however. On Wednesday, the company’s creative director Ian Griffiths announced that he plans to ride that meme right to the bank and that the Pelosi coat will return in 2019, available in a range of colors.
David Gilmour is a reporter who specializes in national politics, internet culture, and technology. He previously covered civil liberties, crime, and politics for Vice.