- ‘Christmas With My Father’: Generational tension, without the tension Today 7:37 AM
- New ‘Rise of Skywalker’ clip includes a possible spoiler about Palpatine Today 7:16 AM
- Teens keep trolling Florida’s new school safety app Today 6:30 AM
- What is the TikTok drink and can you still get it? Thursday 9:27 PM
- ‘Party, Party, Party’ TikTok meme grapples with party culture Thursday 8:43 PM
- Baby Yoda was just added to Sims 4 Thursday 7:54 PM
- Religious conservatives petition Netflix to pull ‘gay Jesus’ Christmas comedy Thursday 7:19 PM
- Kylie Jenner criticized for yet another expensive car post Thursday 5:57 PM
- Apex Legends became a major Pornhub search in 2019 Thursday 5:15 PM
- CBS accidentally interviewed InfoWars host as regular Trump supporter Thursday 4:31 PM
- TLC accused of fatphobia, fetishization with show about ‘mixed-weight’ couples Thursday 3:41 PM
- Betting odds show KSI could fight FaZe Sensei, Jake Paul, or Justin Bieber next Thursday 3:20 PM
- Nick Cannon releases another thirsty Eminem diss track Thursday 2:59 PM
- Dogs at polling stations are helping bark out the vote in the U.K. Thursday 1:00 PM
- Streamers dominated Pornhub searches in 2019 Thursday 12:59 PM
Democratic House Leader Nancy Pelosi’s cool exit from the White House after her fiery televised put-down of President Donald Trump really caught the nation’s attention. In the days since, her orange coat has become the symbol of rebel sass.
The president’s meeting with Pelosi and Sen. Chuck Schumer quickly disintegrated into a spat over funding for Trump’s Southern border wall, which looks set to provoke a government shutdown later in the month.
Pelosi had Trump own that, provoking the president by branding the potential situation a “Trump shutdown.” When Trump tried to bite back, Pelosi demanded his respect and reminded him of her party’s victory in the House last election.
The startling exchange stuck the public for several reasons, least of all that someone had the guts to challenge the smack-talking president.
“It’s like a manhood thing for him,” she continued at a meeting with House Democrats afterward, according to reports. “As if manhood could ever be associated with him.”
As photographs surfaced of Pelosi leaving the White House, however, her striking orange swing coat and sunglasses became the meme of the moment.
Me leaving your Holiday Party after starting major drama pic.twitter.com/BRf98b9R2g— phil (@PrettyGoodPhil) December 11, 2018
The orange coat is even the subject of a parody Twitter account.
Some pointed out that the coat was the same worn by the Democrat at President Obama’s inauguration in 2013 and praised the extra shot this represented.
The most important thing to come out of today's news was that Nancy Pelosi plus a dark orange coat and cool shades equal pure badassery.— Lana Slavitt (@somuchweirdness) December 12, 2018
Bonus: she may have been throwing subtle shade since she wore the same coat to Obama's Jan 2013 inauguration. #TeamPelosi #TrumpShutdown pic.twitter.com/Myb37pzwmH
Now, it seems, lots of people really wanted to know where they can get that coat.
downloading kim k’s screenshop app but only because i need to have...nancy pelosi’s coat??? pic.twitter.com/4cc1Q54ly3— rebecca girimonte (@beccakristin) December 11, 2018
As the New York Times reports, the Glamis coat was part of designer MaxMara’s 2013 collection and is no longer available to purchase.
Disappointment didn’t last, however. On Wednesday, the company’s creative director Ian Griffiths announced that he plans to ride that meme right to the bank and that the Pelosi coat will return in 2019, available in a range of colors.
David Gilmour is a reporter who specializes in national politics, internet culture, and technology.