- Kamala Harris calls on House to begin impeachment proceeding against Trump 5 Months Ago
- Twitch kills ‘Joy of Sex’ category—and gamers are furious 5 Months Ago
- Netflix’s ‘Music Teacher’ is another lifeless melodrama about an emotionally illiterate man Today 6:45 AM
- 3 things we saw at the ‘Avengers: Endgame’ premiere Today 6:30 AM
- How to use Google Home Hub as a digital photo frame Today 6:00 AM
- How to watch Netflix on Apple devices without AirPlay support Today 5:00 AM
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate player’s trans flag removed for being ‘political’ Monday 7:37 PM
- Does Donald Trump Jr. know what American soldiers do? Monday 7:17 PM
- Sophie Turner has a hot take on Arya’s ‘Game of Thrones’ sex scene Monday 6:50 PM
- Parked Tesla Model S bursts into flames in shocking video Monday 3:12 PM
- Fortnite is getting an Avengers Endgame event Monday 2:44 PM
- The living are facing the end of the world in the latest ‘Game of Thrones’ Monday 2:37 PM
- The best Korean beauty toners for your skincare routine Monday 2:33 PM
- Warren’s plan to cancel student debt stimulates the bad-take economy Monday 2:27 PM
- Video shows Easter Bunny punching man on sidewalk Monday 2:09 PM
Laura Loomer gets booted from Twitter for hate speech
She was banned after tweeting about Representative-elect Ilhan Omar.
Right-wing activist Laura Loomer has been permanently suspended from Twitter, multiple outlets reported on Wednesday.
Sean Campbell, a videographer who collaborates with Loomer, posted screenshots to Facebook showing Loomer’s suspension notice. Per the screenshots, Twitter found Loomer in violation of its “rules against hateful conduct” and cited a tweet from Loomer spouting falsehoods about Minnesota’s Democratic Representative-elect Ilhan Omar.
“Isn’t it ironic how the twitter moment used to celebrate ‘women, LGBTQ, and minorities’ is a picture of Ilhan Omar?” Loomer’s tweet said. “Ilhan is pro Sharia Ilhan is pro- FGB Under Sharia, homosexuals are oppressed & killed. Women are abused & forced to wear the hibah. Ilhan is anti Jewish.”
Campbell wrote that the suspension was “absolutely absurd and censorship at its core.” Loomer said in a Facebook post of her own that “Twitter decided to permanently suspend my account in an attempt to silence my voice.”
Following her suspension, conservatives defended Loomer on Twitter.
I strongly dislike Laura Loomer. She even has me blocked. But, she should not be suspended for what she tweeted. Twitter is slowly banning right wingers. It started at the fringes and is now creeping to the center-right. pic.twitter.com/ZI49Q2R8Tp
— Kassy Dillon (@KassyDillon) November 22, 2018
I'm going to RT some stuff WAAAAY worse than anything Laura Loomer ever posted. If that bothers you, unfollow now.
— Mike Cernovich ⭐️⭐️⭐️ (@Cernovich) November 22, 2018
Guess which one was banned pic.twitter.com/hP8ZR033Xi
— Jack Posobiec ⭐️⭐️⭐️ (@JackPosobiec) November 21, 2018
Loomer was previously suspended from Twitter for a week ahead of the 2018 midterms. The platform did not specify what rules Loomer broke at the time, and she decried the suspension as “election meddling.” The suspension came after she confronted Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey during a congressional hearing in September.
The conservative provocateur was banned from Uber and Lyft last year after tweeting anti-Muslim statements.
Kris Seavers is the Evening Editor for the Daily Dot, where she covers breaking news, politics, and LGBTQ issues. Her work has appeared in Central Texas publications, including Austin Monthly and San Antonio Magazine, and on NPR.