- The ‘Well yes, but actually no’ meme is here to help you explain things 3 Months Ago
- Judge orders Roger Stone to appear in court after his Instagram post Today 11:24 AM
- I worked with the migrant caravan—and Trump is the cause of his national emergency Today 11:09 AM
- How to watch Liverpool vs. Bayern Munich online for free Today 11:08 AM
- ‘Patriot Act’ volume 2 proves Hasan Minhaj is the next big star of the news-comedy genre Today 11:01 AM
- ‘Friends From College’ canceled after 2 seasons at Netflix Today 10:53 AM
- Allow your wallet to be your spirit guide during this rad anime sale Today 10:43 AM
- Man stages fake DUI trial to propose to girlfriend, and people are asking why Today 10:40 AM
- Bernie Sanders’ website full of 404s on launch day Today 10:23 AM
- Pose’s Indya Moore goes viral for arguing trans women have ‘biologically female’ penises Today 10:21 AM
- Howard Schultz pens Medium essay declaring ‘unprecedented appetite’ for Schultz 2020 Today 9:56 AM
- The weirdest movie at the Oscars is ‘Border’ Today 9:22 AM
- Did Elon Musk just host PewDiePie’s meme review? Today 8:53 AM
- Loona stans take over Twitter with praise for the ‘Butterfly’ video Today 7:31 AM
- ‘Yucatán’ is a caper comedy that’s long on cons but short on laughs Today 7:00 AM
Laura Loomer gets booted from Twitter for hate speech
She was banned after tweeting about Representative-elect Ilhan Omar.
Right-wing activist Laura Loomer has been permanently suspended from Twitter, multiple outlets reported on Wednesday.
Sean Campbell, a videographer who collaborates with Loomer, posted screenshots to Facebook showing Loomer’s suspension notice. Per the screenshots, Twitter found Loomer in violation of its “rules against hateful conduct” and cited a tweet from Loomer spouting falsehoods about Minnesota’s Democratic Representative-elect Ilhan Omar.
“Isn’t it ironic how the twitter moment used to celebrate ‘women, LGBTQ, and minorities’ is a picture of Ilhan Omar?” Loomer’s tweet said. “Ilhan is pro Sharia Ilhan is pro- FGB Under Sharia, homosexuals are oppressed & killed. Women are abused & forced to wear the hibah. Ilhan is anti Jewish.”
Campbell wrote that the suspension was “absolutely absurd and censorship at its core.” Loomer said in a Facebook post of her own that “Twitter decided to permanently suspend my account in an attempt to silence my voice.”
Following her suspension, conservatives defended Loomer on Twitter.
I strongly dislike Laura Loomer. She even has me blocked. But, she should not be suspended for what she tweeted. Twitter is slowly banning right wingers. It started at the fringes and is now creeping to the center-right. pic.twitter.com/ZI49Q2R8Tp
— Kassy Dillon (@KassyDillon) November 22, 2018
I'm going to RT some stuff WAAAAY worse than anything Laura Loomer ever posted. If that bothers you, unfollow now.
— Mike Cernovich ⭐️⭐️⭐️ (@Cernovich) November 22, 2018
Guess which one was banned pic.twitter.com/hP8ZR033Xi
— Jack Posobiec ⭐️⭐️⭐️ (@JackPosobiec) November 21, 2018
Loomer was previously suspended from Twitter for a week ahead of the 2018 midterms. The platform did not specify what rules Loomer broke at the time, and she decried the suspension as “election meddling.” The suspension came after she confronted Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey during a congressional hearing in September.
The conservative provocateur was banned from Uber and Lyft last year after tweeting anti-Muslim statements.
Kris Seavers is the Evening Editor for the Daily Dot, where she covers breaking news, politics, and LGBTQ issues. Her work has appeared in Central Texas publications, including Austin Monthly and San Antonio Magazine, and on NPR.