- Reddit just banned the NBA Streams subreddit 5 Months Ago
- How to watch ‘Drunk History’ for free 5 Months Ago
- Netflix’s ‘Unit 42’ soars on the chemistry of its unlikely lead partners 5 Months Ago
- How to watch ‘Good Trouble’ for free Today 7:00 AM
- It’s time for Pete Buttigieg to claim his status as Short King Today 6:30 AM
- The best foreign-language TV shows on Netflix Today 6:00 AM
- Hasan Minhaj explains why your internet sucks in ‘Patriot Act’ episode, puts it on DVD Monday 8:41 PM
- Hackers got control of Dylan Sprouse’s Twitter account, posted offensive content Monday 7:38 PM
- Twitch is suing the trolls who flooded the platform with porn and Christchurch shooting footage Monday 6:55 PM
- Cat filter turns Pakistani politicians’ press conference into frisky business Monday 6:12 PM
- Couple calls for boycott of dog walker app Wag! after their dog was abducted Monday 5:07 PM
- Trump gets banned from SeekingArrangement because he’s not a ‘real sugar daddy’ Monday 4:17 PM
- InfoWars accidentally sent child porn to lawyers representing Sandy Hook parents Monday 4:12 PM
- Sticker warns men changing diapers about ‘feminization of the American male’ Monday 4:10 PM
- The genius way Genius caught Google allegedly stealing lyrics Monday 3:03 PM
Laura Ingraham mocks Rep. Ilhan Omar’s accent in audio clip
Laura Ingraham is at it again.
In the clip, Ingraham played a short speech by Omar in which she demanded that President Donald Trump abandon his quest for a wall along the U.S.-Mexico border. “I demand that he work with us to reopen the government before any more damage is done,” Omar said.
— Andrew Lawrence (@ndrew_lawrence) January 18, 2019
After the soundbite of Omar ended, Ingraham wasted no time launching into her mockery of the representative’s accent. “She sounds like Rizzo on Grease, she doesn’t sound like Minnesota,” Ingraham said. She followed this up with an impression of the congresswoman.
The reaction from people all over the web was prompt. Minnesotans, in particular, were offended by Ingraham’s words. “Laura Ingraham @IngrahamAngle says of @IlhanMN ‘She sounds like Rizzo on Grease,she doesn’t sound like Minnesota,that accent’ FYI @IlhanMN won with 78% of vote,” Twitter user @esmemurphy wrote. “She represents 700,000 Mn in Congress. That sounds pretty darn Mn to me.”
Laura Ingraham @IngrahamAngle says of @IlhanMN "She sounds like Rizzo on Grease,she doesn't sound like Minnesota,that accent" FYI @IlhanMN won with 78% of vote. She represents 700,000 Mn in Congress. That sounds pretty darn Mn to me. She is a live guest on @wcco 10:30am 2day
— esme murphy (@esmemurphy) January 20, 2019
Other users agreed. “As a Minnesotan born/ raised, @IngrahamAngle should STHU about what it means to be a Minnesotan,” comedy writer and activist Lizz Winstead wrote. “With the most welcoming refugee policies in this country, we understand that being Minnesotan means welcoming & loving all who want to be part of our community, doncha know,” she wrote, joking about a popular Minnesota catchphrase.
As a Minnesotan born/ raised, @IngrahamAngle should STHU about what it means to be a Minnesotan. With the most welcoming refugee policies in this country, we understand that being Minnesotan means welcoming & loving all who want to be part of our community, doncha know. @IlhanMN https://t.co/o1HCNt2TLr
— Lizz "Unlikeable" Winstead (@lizzwinstead) January 20, 2019
Dear Laurel Inground,
You don’t get to decide what “sounds like Minnesota.” Our state is not just 5 million white Fargo characters.
Minnesota Twitter https://t.co/GJIWHJUHSu
— Indignant Minnesotan (@IndignantMN) January 20, 2019
Even Omar got in on it. “Who knew sounding like Rizzo from GREESE was a crime,” she wrote. “FYI, here in MN our ‘accents’ aren’t what makes us Minnesotans, it’s our warm and welcoming hearts that do. Which @IngrahamAngle would know nothing about!”
🤣 Who knew sounding like Rizzo from GREESE was a crime.
FYI, here in MN our “accents” aren’t what makes us Minnesotans, it’s our warm and welcoming hearts that do.
— Ilhan Omar (@IlhanMN) January 20, 2019
Minnesota has the largest Somali population in the United States.
Omar came to the United States as a twelve-year-old; she and her family were fleeing the civil war in that country and spent years in a refugee camp in Kenya before coming to the U.S.
Ingraham has not commented publicly on the incident or backlash.
Nahila Bonfiglio reports on geek culture and gaming. Her work has also appeared on KUT's Texas Standard (Austin), KPAC-FM (San Antonio), and the Daily Texan.