- How ‘Stranger Things’ is inspiring new waves of Dungeons and Dragons fans 1 Year Ago
- Why you should be watching ‘Red vs Blue’ on Netflix 1 Year Ago
- How to live stream Sergey Kovalev vs. Anthony Yarde Today 5:00 AM
- How to stream Real Madrid vs. Real Valladolid Friday 10:44 PM
- How to stream Liverpool vs. Arsenal Friday 10:28 PM
- How to stream Manchester United vs. Crystal Palace Friday 10:05 PM
- How to stream Chelsea vs. Norwich City Friday 8:55 PM
- How to stream the 2019-20 Serie A season Friday 8:05 PM
- Tom Brady keeps supplying us with new meme material Friday 5:55 PM
- Emails reveal Facebook’s knowledge of Cambridge Analytica Friday 3:43 PM
- ‘Fast and Furious’ + ‘American Ninja Warrior’ = Netflix’s ‘Hyperdrive’ Friday 3:15 PM
- Trump jokes drop in Dow is because Seth Moulton dropped out of 2020 race Friday 3:13 PM
- What we learned when we visited Mr. B, America’s chonkiest cat Friday 1:46 PM
- Trump’s new plan to fight opioid overdose? This tweet Friday 1:06 PM
- Fitness influencer shamed for ‘sharing numbers’ in weight loss posts Friday 1:04 PM
Harris, who also played coy when asked about her potential 2020 presidential election run, laughed following a joke she made when Degeneres asked her a partisan question. During the interview, Harris said she wouldn’t answer questions about whether she is considering a run at the Democratic nomination for president during the 2020 election.
While a 2020 question may have elicited jeers from the right, Harris’ response to a question really set them off.
“If you had to be stuck in an elevator with either President Trump, Mike Pence or Jeff Sessions who would it be?” Degeneres asked the senator.
“Does one of us have to come out alive?” she asked, laughing and generating applause from the host.
Here’s the exchange:
The joke was not taken well by supporters of President Donald Trump on Twitter, with hyper-conservative actor James Woods calling the senator a “laughing hyena” and Fox News host Sean Hannity reportedly calling it a “shocking new low.”
When #KillerKamala @KamalaHarris gleefully fantasized about murdering our #POTUS, #VicePresident and #AttorneyGeneral on TV, perhaps the creepiest part was her b-movie serial killer cackle. She honestly looked demented.— James Woods (@RealJamesWoods) April 6, 2018
If a senator like Ted Cruz joked about killing President Obama, he would be immediately forced to resign and ridiculed by the Left.— Brandon (@brandongroeny) April 6, 2018
Kamala Harris jokes about killing Trump and liberals want to nominate her for the Dem 2020 candidate. SAD!
Democrats don't want trump to build a border wall to protect an invasion of drugs, crime, and lawlessness happening before our eyes, while kamala Harris jokes about killing trump on Ellen— PinkAboutIt ⭐⭐⭐ (@Pink_About_it) April 6, 2018
And they accuse Trump of being mentally unstable 🤔🤔🤔
Yesterday, Kamala Harris suggested violence against POTUS, VP, and AG. This would not have been acceptable during Obama’s presidency, and it’s not ok now. pic.twitter.com/3LFcrTzXwl— Ronna McDaniel (@GOPChairwoman) April 6, 2018
If Harris does run in 2020, you can expect to see this brought up countless times before the election.
Andrew Wyrich is a politics staff writer for the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the internet. Andrew has written for USA Today, NorthJersey.com, and other newspapers and websites. His work has been recognized by the Society of the Silurians, Investigative Reporters & Editors (IRE), and the Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ).