- ‘Aggretsuko’ tones down the rage in season 2 1 Year Ago
- TikTok is being used to call out predators 1 Year Ago
- Republican congressman wants to defund PBS over the gay rat wedding 1 Year Ago
- Elizabeth Warren calls for sweeping overhaul of U.S. elections Today 11:47 AM
- In ‘Wild Rose,’ a star is born Today 11:39 AM
- The Sinking City realizes Lovecraftian horror in a new light Today 11:16 AM
- The ‘Avengers: Endgame’ re-release sounds pretty underwhelming Today 11:10 AM
- Google employees won’t be allowed to speak out against YouTube during Pride Today 10:43 AM
- YouTuber Etika found dead, NYPD confirms Today 10:39 AM
- Andrew Yang is holding a universal basic income giveaway Today 10:38 AM
- League of Legends streamer busted live by girlfriend after she finds his Tinder Today 10:19 AM
- Samuel L. Jackson roasts ‘Spider-Man’ marketing gaffe Today 8:49 AM
- Trump cites long-dead ayatollah while announcing Iran sanction Today 8:46 AM
- Why a far-right conspiracy about Ilhan Omar is in the news again Today 7:46 AM
- Razer publicly shames female influencer who tweeted about being sexually harassed Today 7:45 AM
John Legend to Paul Ryan over his Father’s Day tweet: ‘F**k you’
The Twitter ratio was in full effect.
Many people are finding the concept of Father’s Day to be an unpalatable one this year, due to the fact that thousands of migrant children are currently being ripped from their families and held in what are essentially incarceration centers. And then, there’s soon to be retiring House Speaker Paul Ryan.
On Saturday, Ryan tweeted out the following tone-deaf message wishing “all the dads out there” a happy Father’s Day, accompanied by a schmoopy video detailing what being a father has meant to him over the years—complete with sunny photos of his family.
— Paul Ryan (@SpeakerRyan) June 16, 2018
Suffice to say, the ratio quickly got out of hand (not surprising, given the source), but few said it more bluntly than John Legend—who retweeted Ryan with a simple “fuck you.” “Reunite the families at the border and we can talk about father’s day,” he added.
Seriously, fuck you. Reunite the families at the border and we can talk about father's day. https://t.co/bbG0gVqfzq
— John Legend (@johnlegend) June 16, 2018
The day must be bittersweet as well for Legend, who just welcomed his second child with wife Chrissy Teigen last month—Miles Theodore Legend, who joins his 2-year-old big sister Luna May.
The whole thing smacks of the recent Samantha Bee controversy. The Full Frontal host took flack for calling Ivanka Trump a “feckless cunt” in response to the first daughter tweeting a photo of herself holding her own 2-year-old son Theodore, amid reactions to the news that the Department of Health and Human Services had lost track of more than 1,400 children who had crossed the U.S. border without a parent.
As Trump continues to lash out and blame Democrats for the separation policy (which was, in fact, reportedly at the urging of his senior adviser Stephen Miller), it seems as though little will change anytime soon.
Stacey Ritzen is a reporter and editor based in West Philadelphia with over 10 years' experience covering pop culture, web culture, entertainment, and news. You can follow her on Twitter @staceyritzen.