- White woman berates Mexican restaurant manager for speaking Spanish Wednesday 4:12 PM
- In Pixar short ‘Kitbull,’ a cat and pit bull become unlikely friends Wednesday 3:48 PM
- Stop exploiting the Jussie Smollett case to discredit LGBTQ hate crime victims Wednesday 3:28 PM
- The best Netflix original movies of 2019 Wednesday 3:20 PM
- Pinterest is reportedly blocking vaccination searches Wednesday 2:53 PM
- Nike’s self-lacing smart sneakers malfunction days after release Wednesday 2:50 PM
- How to quickly get the Havoc weapon in Apex Legends Wednesday 2:48 PM
- The truth behind the anti-LGBTQ emoji controversy Wednesday 1:37 PM
- Tristan Thompson disables Instagram comments after reports he cheated on Khloe Kardashian Wednesday 11:25 AM
- Introducing ‘boner culture,’ this Gamergate blogger’s latest cause Wednesday 11:16 AM
- HBO debuts trailer for controversial Michael Jackson doc ‘Leaving Neverland’ Wednesday 10:46 AM
- Christian woman refuses to do taxes for lesbian married couple Wednesday 10:43 AM
- Political campaigns will be snooping on your phones in 2020 Wednesday 10:43 AM
- How to get the first Apex Legends Twitch Prime pack for free Wednesday 10:28 AM
- Mother discovers YouTube Kids video that encourages self-harm Wednesday 10:14 AM
John Legend to Paul Ryan over his Father’s Day tweet: ‘F**k you’
The Twitter ratio was in full effect.
Many people are finding the concept of Father’s Day to be an unpalatable one this year, due to the fact that thousands of migrant children are currently being ripped from their families and held in what are essentially incarceration centers. And then, there’s soon to be retiring House Speaker Paul Ryan.
On Saturday, Ryan tweeted out the following tone-deaf message wishing “all the dads out there” a happy Father’s Day, accompanied by a schmoopy video detailing what being a father has meant to him over the years—complete with sunny photos of his family.
— Paul Ryan (@SpeakerRyan) June 16, 2018
Suffice to say, the ratio quickly got out of hand (not surprising, given the source), but few said it more bluntly than John Legend—who retweeted Ryan with a simple “fuck you.” “Reunite the families at the border and we can talk about father’s day,” he added.
Seriously, fuck you. Reunite the families at the border and we can talk about father's day. https://t.co/bbG0gVqfzq
— John Legend (@johnlegend) June 16, 2018
The day must be bittersweet as well for Legend, who just welcomed his second child with wife Chrissy Teigen last month—Miles Theodore Legend, who joins his 2-year-old big sister Luna May.
The whole thing smacks of the recent Samantha Bee controversy. The Full Frontal host took flack for calling Ivanka Trump a “feckless cunt” in response to the first daughter tweeting a photo of herself holding her own 2-year-old son Theodore, amid reactions to the news that the Department of Health and Human Services had lost track of more than 1,400 children who had crossed the U.S. border without a parent.
As Trump continues to lash out and blame Democrats for the separation policy (which was, in fact, reportedly at the urging of his senior adviser Stephen Miller), it seems as though little will change anytime soon.
Stacey Ritzen is a reporter and editor based in West Philadelphia with over 10 years' experience covering pop culture, web culture, entertainment, and news. You can follow her on Twitter @staceyritzen.