- Actor Amanda Seales pushes back on #FreeRodneyReed movement Monday 10:58 PM
- Netflix thriller ‘Earthquake Bird’ can’t solve its own mystery Monday 4:45 PM
- Goop is selling an expensive ‘restraining arts’ BDSM kit Monday 4:17 PM
- Body positivity actress Lili Reinhart calls out Photoshopping app Monday 3:42 PM
- ‘Rick and Morty’ zeroes in on connections and leans into familiar territory Monday 3:30 PM
- People are sharing photos of how much they’ve changed in a decade Monday 2:30 PM
- A few of our favorite things on Newegg are on sale for Black Friday Monday 2:15 PM
- Disney adds ‘Bob’s Burgers’ movie back to release schedule after accidentally yanking it Monday 2:02 PM
- Ocasio-Cortez launches petition demanding Stephen Miller’s resignation Monday 1:24 PM
- Prince Andrew’s defense against child sex crimes stokes conspiracy theory flames Monday 1:20 PM
- More people may be looking to cancel Disney+ than Netflix Monday 1:09 PM
- Monday Night Football: How to stream Chiefs vs. Chargers live Monday 1:00 PM
- After days of deadly protests, Iran implements ‘largest internet shutdown ever’ Monday 12:55 PM
- ‘Disney Plus and thrust’ is apparently the new Netflix and Chill Monday 12:32 PM
- Woman fired, sued after coworker shared their sexts Monday 12:22 PM
Many people are finding the concept of Father’s Day to be an unpalatable one this year, due to the fact that thousands of migrant children are currently being ripped from their families and held in what are essentially incarceration centers. And then, there’s soon to be retiring House Speaker Paul Ryan.
On Saturday, Ryan tweeted out the following tone-deaf message wishing “all the dads out there” a happy Father’s Day, accompanied by a schmoopy video detailing what being a father has meant to him over the years—complete with sunny photos of his family.
Suffice to say, the ratio quickly got out of hand (not surprising, given the source), but few said it more bluntly than John Legend—who retweeted Ryan with a simple “fuck you.” “Reunite the families at the border and we can talk about father’s day,” he added.
Seriously, fuck you. Reunite the families at the border and we can talk about father's day. https://t.co/bbG0gVqfzq— John Legend (@johnlegend) June 16, 2018
The day must be bittersweet as well for Legend, who just welcomed his second child with wife Chrissy Teigen last month—Miles Theodore Legend, who joins his 2-year-old big sister Luna May.
The whole thing smacks of the recent Samantha Bee controversy. The Full Frontal host took flack for calling Ivanka Trump a “feckless cunt” in response to the first daughter tweeting a photo of herself holding her own 2-year-old son Theodore, amid reactions to the news that the Department of Health and Human Services had lost track of more than 1,400 children who had crossed the U.S. border without a parent.
As Trump continues to lash out and blame Democrats for the separation policy (which was, in fact, reportedly at the urging of his senior adviser Stephen Miller), it seems as though little will change anytime soon.
Stacey Ritzen is a reporter and editor based in West Philadelphia with over 10 years' experience covering pop culture, web culture, entertainment, and news. You can follow her on Twitter @staceyritzen.