- Trump’s hospital visit spawns conspiracy theories 4 Months Ago
- ‘SNL’ skit combines Harry Styles, the Popeyes chicken sandwich, and Disney+ Today 2:02 PM
- Doctored photo of GOP congresswoman flipping the bird fools critics Today 1:05 PM
- Internet scammers taking advantage of Narwhal the ‘unicorn’ rescue puppy Today 12:19 PM
- Sunday Night Football: How to stream Bears vs. Rams live Today 12:00 PM
- CupcakKe’s month-long ‘water fast’ has fans concerned Today 11:24 AM
- Will.i.am claims ‘racist’ flight attendant called police on him Today 10:28 AM
- How does Disney+ compare to Netflix, Hulu, HBO Max, and Apple TV+? Today 9:35 AM
- How to stream Patriots vs. Eagles live Today 9:30 AM
- Girl turns herself into ‘pleading face’ emoji Today 9:27 AM
- How to stream Cowboys vs. Lions live Today 9:00 AM
- Chaotic good, true neutral: The 2020 Democrat alignment chart Today 6:30 AM
- How to stream Mexico vs. Brazil live in the U-17 World Cup final Today 3:00 AM
- Influencer gets prison time for performing illegal cosmetic procedures on followers Saturday 5:13 PM
- Parent immediately regrets baby monitor after seeing ‘possessed’ baby Saturday 3:53 PM
There may be no more strident Obama-hater in Congress than Rep. Jim Jordan (R-Ohio), who spent the entirety of Robert Mueller’s testimony to Congress essentially demanding the former president be locked up for his crimes against the state.
So it wouldn’t be surprising for people to see a quote about Jordan bashing Barack Obama going viral on social. But he isn’t blaming the former president for his inaction during 9/11.
However, a fake quote of Jordan’s blaming Obama is all over Twitter.
GOP rallies around Trump 9/11 role. “While Obama and Biden were cowering in fear on Air Force 1, Mr. Trump was on the ground with first responders searching for survivors and pulling people to safety,” Jim Jordan says. “I remember seeing him on TV, running toward the danger.” pic.twitter.com/P7ol4wycoF— Dan Lyons (@realdanlyons) July 29, 2019
The tweet was made by author Dan Lyons, who was apparently joking.
There should be a word (probably in German) for when you pull a prank and you are laughing but also scared at the same time. Angstenfreude? pic.twitter.com/GBlJut3VrZ— Dan Lyons (@realdanlyons) July 30, 2019
And yet, people bought it. It was even shared by prominent Trump-hating author Kevin Kruse.
Deleted a tweet with a fake quote from Jim Jordan.— Kevin M. Kruse (@KevinMKruse) July 30, 2019
In my defense, he does say a lot of ridiculous things.
Others tried to fact-check the fake quote, upset that it would spread fake slander.
Jim Jordan said Obama and Biden hid on Air Force One on 9/11 while Trump was running to save people. So many lies.— Bharat Manghnani (@bmangh) July 30, 2019
1. Obama wasn’t president then
2. Trump’s never run anywhere
3. Trump’s never helped anyone
4. Trump bragged about his building being tallest as towers fell
However, this accusation is not that absurd. While Jordan didn’t blame Obama for 9/11, a Trump supporter infamously blamed Obama for being on vacation during 9/11 in a Daily Show bit in 2016.
- Jim Jordan’s sex abuse scandal comes back after fiery opening Cohen statement
- Everyone is dunking on this Rep. Jim Jordan tweet about the FBI
- Who is Jim Jordan—and what does he have to do with the Ohio State abuse scandal?
Got five minutes? We’d love to hear from you. Help shape our journalism and be entered to win an Amazon gift card by filling out our 2019 reader survey.
David Covucci is the Layer 8 editor at the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the web. His work has appeared in Vice, the Huffington Post, Jezebel, Gothamist, and other publications. He is particularly interested in hearing any tips you have. Reach out at [email protected]