- Reddit AITA: Man verbally abused partner through cat impersonations Monday 7:18 PM
- Facebook finally lets you kill distracting navigation bar notifications Monday 6:14 PM
- Artist says Thinx underwear campaign ripped off their memes (updated) Monday 5:48 PM
- Google reportedly gathering millions of Americans’ personal health records Monday 5:00 PM
- Trina goes off on Walmart shopper who allegedly called her the ‘N-word’ Monday 4:14 PM
- Bored of Helvetica? iOS users finally have some new font options Monday 4:00 PM
- Amid panic, YouTube says new terms of service won’t impact creators Monday 3:56 PM
- Opposing sides fight to control online narrative over Bolivian ‘coup’ Monday 3:50 PM
- How to sign up for the Disney+ bundle Monday 3:35 PM
- Instagram covers video costs for celebs who don’t get political Monday 3:30 PM
- T.I.’s daughter apparently unfollowed her dad on Instagram after hymen comment Monday 3:26 PM
- Meet ByteDance, the Chinese tech company behind TikTok Monday 3:09 PM
- Everything you need to know about investing app Robinhood Monday 2:44 PM
- How to stream 49ers vs. Seahawks on Monday Night Football Monday 1:43 PM
- Cops cuff Black man for eating sandwich on subway platform Monday 1:29 PM
Rep. Jim Jordan (R-Ohio) kicked off today’s highly anticipated hearing with Michael Cohen—President Donald Trump’s lawyer—with a fiery diatribe, calling Cohen’s appearance a sham. Jordan repeatedly attacked Cohen’s credibility, calling him a future federal inmate as a way to discredit his testimony.
.@Jim_Jordan calls today's hearing "The Michael Cohen hearing presented by Lanny Davis."— Washington Examiner (@dcexaminer) February 27, 2019
"That's right, Lanny Davis choreographed the whole darn the Clinton's best friend." https://t.co/4G5QWrOU4l pic.twitter.com/1KCeVubgJs
Jordan also looped the Clinton’s into the whole thing, accusing the couple of orchestrating the hearing as a hit on the president.
But Jordan’s wild pontificating about morality, crimes, coverups, and truthfulness was undercut by the fact that Jordan currently stands accused of willfully ignoring a sexual abuse scandal while he was a wrestling coach at Ohio State.
Numerous former student-athletes said that Jordan was aware that Dr. Richard Strauss, an Ohio State employee, was sexually abusing athletes. Students at the school have said that Jordan knew what was going on and actively discouraged students from reporting it.
That hypocrisy was not missed by people watching the hearing.
Hey @Jim_Jordan, wouldn’t you love it if you’d be remembered for this hearing rather than for looking the other way while one of the coaches on your wrestling committee molested over 100 boys?— Bethany Black (@BeffernieBlack) February 27, 2019
Jim Jordan is just Joe Paterno without the coaching skills https://t.co/a7DsxLJfuY— Parker Molloy (@ParkerMolloy) February 27, 2019
jim jordan really wrestling with the issues here, pinning down the dems in way that should make everyone uncomfortable and unable to look away— Jake Swearingen (@JakeSwearingen) February 27, 2019
Rep. Jim Jordan (R) is wrestling with the conduct of this Cohen hearing. pic.twitter.com/0YSlnEuL6b— Tom Sherwood (@tomsherwood) February 27, 2019
Jim Jordan really wants Elijah Cummings to pay attention to the gym I mean set of rules instead of looking the other way and disregarding it— Asawin Suebsaeng (@swin24) February 27, 2019
Now Jim Jordan knows how it feels to voice concern only to be ignored by those above you.— Tony Posnanski (@tonyposnanski) February 27, 2019
For someone who was aware of his athletes being sexually abused and chose to do nothing, Jim Jordan seems real offended to have a felon in the room.— Erin For President (@erinscafe) February 27, 2019
You can live stream Cohen’s hearing here.
David Covucci is the Layer 8 editor at the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the web. His work has appeared in Vice, the Huffington Post, Jezebel, Gothamist, and other publications. He is particularly interested in hearing any tips you have. Reach out at [email protected]