- ‘Weathering With You’ blends fantasy and realism in a magical love story Saturday 6:18 PM
- Kidnapped teen used Snapchat to get rescued Saturday 4:35 PM
- What fans do and don’t want to see in future ‘Far Cry’ installments Saturday 4:26 PM
- Aaron Carter accused of stealing lion art for merch Saturday 3:10 PM
- Instagram’s hidden like counts were inspired by a ‘Black Mirror’ episode Saturday 2:06 PM
- Student says they were expelled for tricking teacher into making inappropriate TikTok Saturday 12:26 PM
- Space Force uniforms relentlessly mocked, memed Saturday 10:52 AM
- Man flamed after admitting he called police on Target employee over a toothbrush Saturday 9:10 AM
- Netflix’s ‘Vivir Dos Veces’ searches for a last chance at first love Saturday 8:00 AM
- Camila Cabello must do more about her racist history Saturday 6:00 AM
- Instagram and Facebook are reportedly blocking queer ads Friday 8:58 PM
- Review: Tyler Perry’s ‘A Fall From Grace’ is both nonsensical and utterly predictable Friday 6:48 PM
- Is Hulu censoring the Iran episode of Anthony Bourdain’s ‘Parts Unknown’? Friday 6:05 PM
- Trump admin celebrates Michelle Obama’s birthday by proposing rollback of her signature initiative Friday 4:01 PM
- TSA apologizes after agent grabs indigenous woman’s braids, says ‘giddyup’ Friday 3:28 PM
When President Donald Trump was running for election and lagging in the polls, there was great speculation over the silent Trump voter, the person who was afraid to voice support for Trump out loud because of the backlash to his candidacy, but who would cast their ballot for him. Jacob Wohl, a prominent conservative online troll, thinks he’s found them.
Wohl, a 20-year-old “financier” (and code of ethical conduct plagiarist), said this week he found people in public talking about Trump in, of all places, a hipster coffee shop.
(Which is ironic, you probably know, because hipsters are liberals and liberals supposedly dislike Donald Trump.)
Well, shit. That performance was almost universally panned by conservatives and Democrats so that seems unlikely, but who am I to doubt, Jacob Wohl, given that it seems like he’s being honest about this chance occurrence.
It’s clearly not something that happens to Wohl with specious regularity.
Even coffee-shop-hipster liberals are in awe at President Trump's diplomatic breakthroughs all around the world— Jacob Wohl (@JacobAWohl) May 10, 2018
Wow, twice in three months. Pretty interesting. What about in, like, April?
Even coffee shop hipster liberals are marveling at President Trump's success with North Korea— Jacob Wohl (@JacobAWohl) April 20, 2018
Damn, they’re talking about Russia, North Korea and, what else? The economy?
I was in a hipster coffee shop (safe space) here in LA and the libs were whispering to each other how @realDonaldTrump is doing great for the economy, got them a raise at work and will definitely be re-elected in 2020— Jacob Wohl (@JacobAWohl) January 13, 2018
According to Wohl, when reached for comment, the coffee shop in question was Verve, in downtown Los Angeles. Wohl reiterated his claim that this has happened to him repeatedly.
“I go to coffee shops and overhear conversations that are pro-Trump in nature between people who are prototypical LA hipster liberals,” he said over Twitter.
However, to a lot of people online, the likelihood of these occurrences all being real feels pretty low. Once Wohl’s frequent phrasing was spotted this week, it became an online punchline.
I just left a hipster coffee shop, it was packed with liberals, whispering amongst each other about how they like and RT all my tweets and think everyone who calls my feed "a hot sewer pipe of putrescent offal" is a Russian agent— Simon Maloy (@SimonMaloy) July 18, 2018
The most likely explanation of these tweets is that the guy is making it all up.— (((Yair Rosenberg))) (@Yair_Rosenberg) July 18, 2018
But I prefer to believe that there is a hipster coffee shop in his neighborhood where the customers hilariously conspire to con him into thinking they're Trump supporters every time he walks in. pic.twitter.com/MqhdHBIFwN
Why would you even make up a lie about hearing shit in a hipster coffee shop? Just say YOU think Trump did a good job (then, maybe even support the statement!)— Marc J. Randazza (@marcorandazza) July 18, 2018
Why would hipster opinion EVEN MATTER? IUnless you're asking their opinion on avocado toast.
I was in a hipster coffee shop.... pic.twitter.com/NEE7bSUe8S— Rick "or Treat" City (@Rick_City) July 19, 2018
I was at a hipster coffee shop (safe space) today and everyone was saying how gratefully they are that Betsy DeVos is making it impossible to prosecute predatory lenders because they love their student loan debt.— LOLGOP (@LOLGOP) July 18, 2018
That said, it’s not just hipster coffee shops Wohl frequents that are inundated with Trump supporters. It’s mainstream coffee shops, too.
I was at Starbucks this morning and the place was buzzing with talk from even the most extreme liberals about how they can't wait to vote for President Trump in 2020 after seeing his unmatched negotiating skills on display with Kim Jong Un— Jacob Wohl (@JacobAWohl) June 12, 2018
This article has been updated to include Wohl’s comments.
David Covucci is the Layer 8 editor at the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the web. His work has appeared in Vice, the Huffington Post, Jezebel, Gothamist, and other publications. He is particularly interested in hearing any tips you have. Reach out at [email protected]