- PDF Association dunks on Mueller report PDF Friday 7:33 PM
- Robert Downey Jr. says ‘Endgame’ finale is ‘best 8 minutes’ of any MCU film Friday 4:42 PM
- Elizabeth Warren calls on Congress to impeach Trump Friday 3:43 PM
- BlackBerry Messenger is still a thing—but not for much longer Friday 2:56 PM
- Matt Gaetz hires speechwriter fired by White House for attending white nationalist event Friday 1:33 PM
- Here’s why Elon Musk is a sheep on Twitter Friday 12:14 PM
- Trump is already running Facebook ads on the Mueller report Friday 12:07 PM
- 20 thoughtful gifts grads actually want Friday 12:00 PM
- 7 of the best psychological thriller movies on Shudder Friday 11:44 AM
- Seth Abramson’s epic Mueller thread finally comes to a conclusion Friday 11:40 AM
- Netflix is testing out a random play feature Friday 11:28 AM
- Teen star Danielle Cohn faked pregnancy for YouTube prank Friday 10:55 AM
- How to watch ‘A Discovery of Witches’ for free Friday 10:42 AM
- Rev up your own family rivalries with these ‘Game of Thrones’ board games Friday 10:29 AM
- Mueller’s ‘harm to ongoing matter’ is the best way to stay silent about your life Friday 10:21 AM
Hillary Clinton’s defense of a U.S. ambassador was red meat for conservatives
And while they’ve been a salve for some on the left hoping for a rational response to America’s bizarre politics, they are chum in the water for sharks on the far-right.
Take, for instance, yesterday’s vehement statement after Trump floated the possibility of allowing the Russian government to interview U.S citizens, including the former ambassador to Russia.
WH press sec Sanders acknowledged that Putin talked to Trump about his interest in prosecuting financier Bill Browder and former US ambassador Michael McFaul. she declined to rule out US cooperation in that effort, saying Trump would consult his national security team
— John Harwood (@JohnJHarwood) July 18, 2018
— Hillary Clinton (@HillaryClinton) July 19, 2018
Michael McFaul was the target of a smear campaign by Putin during his time in Russia that accused him, among other things, of being a pedophile. So it is fairly horrifying to think that a U.S. president would leave an ambassador out to dry, simply because the president disliked the previous administration.
But Clinton’s wording left a huge opening for conservatives still mad at her, over, you guessed it: Benghazi.
Well that’s just downright embarrassing. pic.twitter.com/jjTyu9Kx3z
— P. Bond (@Peggitha) July 20, 2018
Your last several tweets would be comical if it were just an unbelievable lack of self awareness or amnesia. Not everyone only watches @MSNBC and has forgotten about Ambassador Stevens or what team you play for. SMH pic.twitter.com/2Pr5DkpCvR
— Mike Korneski (@mkorneski) July 20, 2018
You might want to sit this one out, Hillary
— CraigWhitworth (@CraigRWhitworth) July 20, 2018
— Ron Gabucci (@JustRight747) July 20, 2018
Speaking of Patriots here's a few real Patriots LOOK AT THEIR FACES YOU MONSTER pic.twitter.com/KKgmvU4x1g
— Nikolina Minkov (@MinkovNikolina) July 20, 2018
For over six years now, Clinton’s actions in the lead-up to, and the immediate aftermath of the terrorist attacks in Benghazi— where she was accused of a variety of conspiracies, including refusing to provide adequate protection for ambassador Chris Stevens, who was killed, as well as issuing a stand down order when the attack occurred that led to the death of more Americans—have been at the forefront of all the right-wing vitriol slung her way.
And while Clinton has been thoroughly investigated for her actions again and again, to no avail by Republicans, that won’t ever stop the conservative mob online from jumping at any chance they get.
David Covucci is the Layer 8 editor at the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the web. His work has appeared in Vice, the Huffington Post, Jezebel, Gothamist, and other publications. He is particularly interested in hearing any tips you have. Reach out at [email protected]