- Boys’ sleepovers vs. girls’ sleepovers meme takes stereotypes to absurd heights Tuesday 7:30 PM
- Petition wants Keanu Reeves to be named ‘Time Person of the Year’ Tuesday 6:33 PM
- 8 women accuse Max Landis of sexual, emotional abuse Tuesday 5:37 PM
- Taylor Swift accused of copying Beyoncé—again Tuesday 5:00 PM
- Everything you need to know about Libra, Facebook’s new cryptocurrency Tuesday 4:45 PM
- Netflix just renewed ‘Queer Eye’ for 2 more seasons Tuesday 4:32 PM
- YouTube’s queen of failed robots just unveiled a one-of-a-kind Tesla truck Tuesday 3:58 PM
- AOC infuriates conservatives with ‘concentration camps’ remark Tuesday 3:33 PM
- TikTok users explore identity with Lin Manuel Miranda-inspired meme Tuesday 3:24 PM
- TikTok apology video inspires new duet meme Tuesday 2:51 PM
- Man sues brewery after identifying as female to get beer discount Tuesday 2:31 PM
- Here’s what’s coming and going on Hulu in July 2019 Tuesday 2:22 PM
- This biotech company’s logo is almost straight out of Resident Evil Tuesday 1:26 PM
- Trump says mass deportations to start next week Tuesday 12:28 PM
- GOP pollster bothered by broken elevator in Austria blames socialism Tuesday 10:50 AM
Hillary Clinton’s defense of a U.S. ambassador was red meat for conservatives
And while they’ve been a salve for some on the left hoping for a rational response to America’s bizarre politics, they are chum in the water for sharks on the far-right.
Take, for instance, yesterday’s vehement statement after Trump floated the possibility of allowing the Russian government to interview U.S citizens, including the former ambassador to Russia.
WH press sec Sanders acknowledged that Putin talked to Trump about his interest in prosecuting financier Bill Browder and former US ambassador Michael McFaul. she declined to rule out US cooperation in that effort, saying Trump would consult his national security team
— John Harwood (@JohnJHarwood) July 18, 2018
— Hillary Clinton (@HillaryClinton) July 19, 2018
Michael McFaul was the target of a smear campaign by Putin during his time in Russia that accused him, among other things, of being a pedophile. So it is fairly horrifying to think that a U.S. president would leave an ambassador out to dry, simply because the president disliked the previous administration.
But Clinton’s wording left a huge opening for conservatives still mad at her, over, you guessed it: Benghazi.
Well that’s just downright embarrassing. pic.twitter.com/jjTyu9Kx3z
— P. Bond (@Peggitha) July 20, 2018
Your last several tweets would be comical if it were just an unbelievable lack of self awareness or amnesia. Not everyone only watches @MSNBC and has forgotten about Ambassador Stevens or what team you play for. SMH pic.twitter.com/2Pr5DkpCvR
— Mike Korneski (@mkorneski) July 20, 2018
You might want to sit this one out, Hillary
— CraigWhitworth (@CraigRWhitworth) July 20, 2018
— Ron Gabucci (@JustRight747) July 20, 2018
Speaking of Patriots here's a few real Patriots LOOK AT THEIR FACES YOU MONSTER pic.twitter.com/KKgmvU4x1g
— Nikolina Minkov (@MinkovNikolina) July 20, 2018
For over six years now, Clinton’s actions in the lead-up to, and the immediate aftermath of the terrorist attacks in Benghazi— where she was accused of a variety of conspiracies, including refusing to provide adequate protection for ambassador Chris Stevens, who was killed, as well as issuing a stand down order when the attack occurred that led to the death of more Americans—have been at the forefront of all the right-wing vitriol slung her way.
And while Clinton has been thoroughly investigated for her actions again and again, to no avail by Republicans, that won’t ever stop the conservative mob online from jumping at any chance they get.
David Covucci is the Layer 8 editor at the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the web. His work has appeared in Vice, the Huffington Post, Jezebel, Gothamist, and other publications. He is particularly interested in hearing any tips you have. Reach out at [email protected]