- Discord allegedly used to lure teenager boy to Florida trailer housing sex slave Tuesday 7:36 PM
- Millie Bobby Brown has the wrong take on ‘You’ Tuesday 6:42 PM
- Why is Tony Stark missing from the ‘Spider-Man: Far From Home’ trailer? Tuesday 6:00 PM
- The creepy texts this woman received are eerily similar to Netflix’s ‘You’ Tuesday 4:20 PM
- Roku defends decision to host InfoWars amid online backlash (updated) Tuesday 4:04 PM
- Pump yourself up for ‘Game of Thrones’ season 8 with this masterfully edited hype video Tuesday 2:35 PM
- NBC asked reporters not to call Steve King’s comments ‘racist’ Tuesday 2:21 PM
- Disney files copyright claim on YouTuber’s Darth Vader film—and the creator is devastated Tuesday 2:18 PM
- The ’10 Year Challenge’ isn’t as fun for trans people Tuesday 1:25 PM
- New Nike shoes can be controlled from your smartphone Tuesday 1:06 PM
- Cardi B. jumps on 10-year challenge with high school performance of Lady Gaga song Tuesday 12:28 PM
- Parents, teachers cry foul over Verizon fee hike for popular education app Tuesday 11:57 AM
- Conservative men are kicking and screaming about Gillette’s new toxic masculinity ad Tuesday 11:23 AM
- Mysterio is hot now in the ‘Spider-Man: Far From Home’ trailer Tuesday 10:53 AM
- Netflix hikes prices on all subscription plans Tuesday 10:48 AM
A couple of big things happened on planet Earth this weekend. France took down Croatia in the World Cup, the quadrennial soccer tour that captivates the globe, and President Donald Trump threatened NATO members, the long-standing military alliance that protects liberal democracy around the globe.
All that’s left now is to lean back, seamlessly integrate them into a tweet, hit send, and watch the favorites roll in…
Great World Cup. Question for President Trump as he meets Putin: Do you know which team you play for?
— Hillary Clinton (@HillaryClinton) July 16, 2018
Hillary Clinton went there, and Twitter was lit with sarcasm over the reaching, clunky half-joke from the former secretary of state.
Holy fuck that’s good.
— Tony Posnanski (@tonyposnanski) July 16, 2018
OMG! I'm DEAD!
She is my everything https://t.co/lU4ctFzkr5
— Tom D'Angora (@TomDangora) July 16, 2018
Holy mother of shade https://t.co/l9zSygk4ta
— Jon O. (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻ (@OriginalJLP) July 16, 2018
Perfectly timed, ma'am. In an alternate universe, you're the president and Trump is the one tweeting "Great World Cup. Wonder if soccer was rigged like the election where everyone knows I should've won. Fake votes. Sad." https://t.co/1ZT0hDRESQ
— Writer Louis Leung (@ricedaddy7) July 16, 2018
But there was some earnest love for it, too, because if there’s one thing we learned in 2016, it’s that some people really do love the “slay Mom” persona Clinton adopted online.
my girl hillary is spilling some tea tonight https://t.co/Rw8sWKwagd
— laur (@yolaurr) July 16, 2018
1st degree burn https://t.co/XHPFViqIqQ
— rabia O'chaudry (@rabiasquared) July 16, 2018
It was also fodder for right-wingers, who love nothing more than to get worked up over Clinton not being president.
The team that didn't sell Uranium One and pocket 145 Million Dollars for their foundation https://t.co/6redUQbFVY
— Michael J. Morrison (@OfficeOfMike) July 16, 2018
— Tiffie (@Net_Tertia) July 16, 2018
Given you, Hillary, paid $12 million dollars to Christopher Steele for a dossier full of Kremlin propaganda, we all KNOW whose team you play for. https://t.co/hqkVrRcD0B
— Sebastian Gorka DrG (@SebGorka) July 16, 2018
Some also thought the “team” part of Clinton’s tweet was a veiled dig at homosexuality.
— Michael Malice (@michaelmalice) July 16, 2018
Of all the things this tweet was, it probably wasn’t that.
David Covucci is the Layer 8 editor at the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the web. His work has appeared in Vice, the Huffington Post, Jezebel, Gothamist, and other publications. He is particularly interested in hearing any tips you have. Reach out at [email protected]