- Trump turns on his favorite cable news network Today 8:56 AM
- Skillshare is offering new users one month of premium for less than $1 Today 8:34 AM
- How to stream Bellator 218 for free Today 8:00 AM
- Jordan Peele’s ‘Us’ is already a meme gold mine Today 7:18 AM
- ‘Queen’s Shadow’ is a brilliant character study into a ‘Star Wars’ fan favorite Today 7:00 AM
- Roku vs Apple TV: Which streaming device rules them all? Today 7:00 AM
- Trans/Sex: Here’s what you need to know before having sex with a trans woman Today 6:30 AM
- How to spot a deepfake Today 6:30 AM
- Here’s the best ‘Game of Thrones’ fanfiction Today 6:00 AM
- ‘Star Trek: Discovery’ unmasks the time-traveling Red Angel Thursday 8:30 PM
- Everyone is making memes of Meghan McCain saying ‘my father’ on loop Thursday 8:11 PM
- Irony of Georgia’s sperm-reporting bill flies by anti-abortion advocates Thursday 7:11 PM
- Sex scandals are consuming the K-pop industry Thursday 5:44 PM
- Trump supporters are abandoning Fox News over network’s latest hire Thursday 5:20 PM
- QAnon is attacking a random woman in a disturbing and dangerous way Thursday 4:59 PM
A couple of big things happened on planet Earth this weekend. France took down Croatia in the World Cup, the quadrennial soccer tour that captivates the globe, and President Donald Trump threatened NATO members, the long-standing military alliance that protects liberal democracy around the globe.
All that’s left now is to lean back, seamlessly integrate them into a tweet, hit send, and watch the favorites roll in…
Great World Cup. Question for President Trump as he meets Putin: Do you know which team you play for?
— Hillary Clinton (@HillaryClinton) July 16, 2018
Hillary Clinton went there, and Twitter was lit with sarcasm over the reaching, clunky half-joke from the former secretary of state.
Holy fuck that’s good.
— Tony Posnanski (@tonyposnanski) July 16, 2018
OMG! I'm DEAD!
She is my everything https://t.co/lU4ctFzkr5
— Tom D'Angora (@TomDangora) July 16, 2018
Holy mother of shade https://t.co/l9zSygk4ta
— Jon O. (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻ (@OriginalJLP) July 16, 2018
Perfectly timed, ma'am. In an alternate universe, you're the president and Trump is the one tweeting "Great World Cup. Wonder if soccer was rigged like the election where everyone knows I should've won. Fake votes. Sad." https://t.co/1ZT0hDRESQ
— Writer Louis Leung (@ricedaddy7) July 16, 2018
But there was some earnest love for it, too, because if there’s one thing we learned in 2016, it’s that some people really do love the “slay Mom” persona Clinton adopted online.
my girl hillary is spilling some tea tonight https://t.co/Rw8sWKwagd
— laur (@yolaurr) July 16, 2018
1st degree burn https://t.co/XHPFViqIqQ
— rabia O'chaudry (@rabiasquared) July 16, 2018
It was also fodder for right-wingers, who love nothing more than to get worked up over Clinton not being president.
The team that didn't sell Uranium One and pocket 145 Million Dollars for their foundation https://t.co/6redUQbFVY
— Michael J. Morrison (@OfficeOfMike) July 16, 2018
— Tiffie (@Net_Tertia) July 16, 2018
Given you, Hillary, paid $12 million dollars to Christopher Steele for a dossier full of Kremlin propaganda, we all KNOW whose team you play for. https://t.co/hqkVrRcD0B
— Sebastian Gorka DrG (@SebGorka) July 16, 2018
Some also thought the “team” part of Clinton’s tweet was a veiled dig at homosexuality.
— Michael Malice (@michaelmalice) July 16, 2018
Of all the things this tweet was, it probably wasn’t that.
David Covucci is the Layer 8 editor at the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the web. His work has appeared in Vice, the Huffington Post, Jezebel, Gothamist, and other publications. He is particularly interested in hearing any tips you have. Reach out at [email protected]