- 2018 belonged to trans people 9 Months Ago
- How to watch local channels on Roku 9 Months Ago
- How to watch Levante vs. Barcelona online for free Today 6:19 AM
- How to watch Liverpool vs. Manchester United online for free Today 6:00 AM
- The best couch co-op video games for couples Today 6:00 AM
- Pete Davidson is OK and at work following alarming Instagram post Saturday 7:26 PM
- Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker doesn’t know how to use a Venn diagram Saturday 5:38 PM
- This college student made a movie trailer to tease her boyfriend, and Twitter can’t get enough (updated) Saturday 3:13 PM
- ‘Kappa Delta Crypto’ aims to break stereotypes in five-minute Snapchat episodes Saturday 2:29 PM
- Two iPhone X customers are suing Apple over screen size Saturday 1:18 PM
- Secretary Ryan Zinke is out at the Department of the Interior Saturday 12:03 PM
- How to watch the New Orleans Bowl online for free Saturday 10:25 AM
- Prada’s racist toys pulled from shelves after social media backlash (updated) Saturday 10:22 AM
- How to watch the Camellia Bowl online for free Saturday 10:00 AM
- How to watch the Las Vegas Bowl online for free Saturday 8:30 AM
H.R. McMaster out as national security adviser, replaced by hardliner John Bolton
McMaster is out.
In a much-anticipated move, national security adviser H.R. McMaster is leaving the Trump administration and will be replaced by John Bolton.
President Donald Trump announced the move on Twitter.
I am pleased to announce that, effective 4/9/18, @AmbJohnBolton will be my new National Security Advisor. I am very thankful for the service of General H.R. McMaster who has done an outstanding job & will always remain my friend. There will be an official contact handover on 4/9.
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) March 22, 2018
Speculation about Bolton joining the administration has been persistent ever since Trump was elected. Bolton previously and controversially served as former President George W. Bush’s U.N. Ambassador. Bush appointed Bolton while Congress was in recess and after Democrats filibustered the nomination over Bolton’s views on the U.N.
Bolton is known for his fervent belief that intervention in Iraq was justified, and he has argued publicly for a preemptive war with North Korea.
Bolton will become Trump’s third national security adviser.
McMaster served as Trump’s national security adviser for most of the first year of the administration after Michael Flynn was forced to resign just weeks into his tenure.
McMaster, along with Secretary of Defense Jim Mattis and Secretary of State Rex Tillerson, were considered the “adults” in the Trump administration, tasked with tempering the president’s most petulant behaviors.
As with all these incidents of staffers leaving the administration, the administration had recently assured McMaster’s position was secure.
Just spoke to @POTUS and Gen. H.R. McMaster – contrary to reports they have a good working relationship and there are no changes at the NSC.
— Sarah Sanders (@PressSec) March 16, 2018
David Covucci is the Layer 8 editor at the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the web. His work has appeared in Vice, the Huffington Post, Jezebel, Gothamist, and other publications. He is particularly interested in hearing any tips you have. Reach out at [email protected]