- Network of fake news sites in Michigan appears to be right-wing propaganda effort 4 Weeks Ago
- ‘BoJack Horseman’ hints at a brutal reckoning in its final season Today 5:30 AM
- How to stream Barcelona vs. Slavia Praha in the Champions League Today 2:00 AM
- How to stream Chelsea vs. Ajax in the Champions League Today 1:00 AM
- People are using #WheresLindsey to criticize Graham over Trump ‘lynching’ defense Tuesday 8:22 PM
- 2 Proud Boys sentenced to 4 years in prison for attacking antifa protesters Tuesday 7:20 PM
- Paul Joseph Watson is very upset by bartender serving beer with her butt Tuesday 6:24 PM
- Twitter developing a policy to combat deepfakes Tuesday 5:28 PM
- The Nate Diaz vs. Jorge Masvidal bout at UFC 244 is perfect for NYC and its fight mecca Tuesday 5:27 PM
- Alexis Bledel named most dangerous online celebrity Tuesday 5:02 PM
- Kylie Jenner trademarks ‘rise and shine’ after meme success Tuesday 4:50 PM
- ‘Watchmen’ website expands what you know about its alt-history Tuesday 4:31 PM
- Smoke ’em, pass ’em Week 8: Mark Walton szn Tuesday 4:26 PM
- Venmo’s first-ever credit card to launch in 2020 Tuesday 3:46 PM
- Wet Kylo Ren may turn everyone to the dark side Tuesday 3:15 PM
Aside from forcing an international conversation on climate change and inspiring hundreds of thousands of people to walk out of their jobs and classes to protest, Swedish activist Greta Thunberg has a unique ability to get conservatives irrationally upset.
But the latest claim against her is absurd. Conservative commentator Dinesh D’Souza and others accused leftists of publicizing Thunberg in a way that mirrors the techniques of Joseph Goebbels and other Nazi propagandists.
Children—notably Nordic white girls with braids and red cheeks—were often used in Nazi propaganda. An old Goebbels technique! Looks like today’s progressive Left is still learning its game from an earlier Left in the 1930s pic.twitter.com/E4q2KZ526s— Dinesh D'Souza (@DineshDSouza) September 22, 2019
“Children—notably Nordic white girls with braids and red cheeks—were often used in Nazi propaganda,” D’Souza said tweeted. “An old Goebbels technique! Looks like today’s progressive Left is still learning its game from an earlier Left in the 1930s.”
It’s unclear why D’Souza would call the most famous far-right party of all time “the Left” (other than a basic misunderstanding that the National Socialist party wasn’t socialist at all). But calling a teen a Nazi just because she wears braids is not a popular take.
normally I'd reply with a joke to point out your idiocy but it occurred to me you're a 58 year old man - A 58 YEAR OLD MAN - comparing a 16 year old who's never done a thing to you as a Nazi. I know you're enjoying the attention this is giving you but this will haunt you forever https://t.co/GwgD0WXy9g— Matt Oswalt (@MattOswaltVA) September 22, 2019
Most Despicable Tweet in the History of Twitter. https://t.co/3hm3M8JsHF— Warren Leight (@warrenleightTV) September 22, 2019
This is the dumbest shit I've ever heard. https://t.co/mcBRZ5951j— profloumoore (@loumoore12) September 23, 2019
This is a truly nauseating and vulgar comparison. If you can't win the argument... https://t.co/X2Pe7F95SM— Rob McDowall (@robmcd85) September 23, 2019
And no, advocating on behalf of the planet is nothing like inspiring people to commit genocide.
- Students across the world are walking out to protest inaction on climate change
- Greta Thunberg tells Congress to ‘listen to the scientists’ about climate crisis
- Conservatives unite against climate change after CNN town hall
- Conservatives can’t stop getting upset about teen climate activist Greta Thunberg
David Covucci is the Layer 8 editor at the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the web. His work has appeared in Vice, the Huffington Post, Jezebel, Gothamist, and other publications. He is particularly interested in hearing any tips you have. Reach out at [email protected]