- Lewis Capaldi mistaken for Grammy seat filler because no one knows who he is 4 Months Ago
- Why we’re obsessed with abandoned power plants and theme parks Today 7:00 AM
- Democrats are open to changing one of the internet’s bedrock principles Today 6:30 AM
- Swipe This! Social media makes me feel like my career is lagging. Will I ever catch up? Today 6:00 AM
- ‘Zola’ is a surreal and wild tale of a road trip gone wrong Today 5:00 AM
- Sebastian Gorka blocks pundit over Fleshlight joke Today 1:56 AM
- Woman slammed for trying to put UPS driver on blast Sunday 5:23 PM
- Twitter users are sharing which celebrities have blocked them Sunday 4:43 PM
- Conspiracy theorists are already taking advantage of Kobe Bryant’s death Sunday 4:14 PM
- Adam Driver returns to ‘SNL’ as Kylo Ren to reprise role in ‘Undercover Boss’ parody Sunday 3:46 PM
- White men are raging over ‘SNL’s’ white male rage skit Sunday 3:05 PM
- Kobe Bryant dead at 41 Sunday 2:24 PM
- Pete Buttigieg mocked over ‘staged’ walking photo Sunday 12:22 PM
- Louise Linton deletes pro-Greta Thunberg Instagram post Sunday 10:58 AM
- ‘Crip Camp’ shows how a radical summer camp was monumental to the disability rights movement Sunday 9:08 AM
Aside from forcing an international conversation on climate change and inspiring hundreds of thousands of people to walk out of their jobs and classes to protest, Swedish activist Greta Thunberg has a unique ability to get conservatives irrationally upset.
But the latest claim against her is absurd. Conservative commentator Dinesh D’Souza and others accused leftists of publicizing Thunberg in a way that mirrors the techniques of Joseph Goebbels and other Nazi propagandists.
Children—notably Nordic white girls with braids and red cheeks—were often used in Nazi propaganda. An old Goebbels technique! Looks like today’s progressive Left is still learning its game from an earlier Left in the 1930s pic.twitter.com/E4q2KZ526s— Dinesh D'Souza (@DineshDSouza) September 22, 2019
“Children—notably Nordic white girls with braids and red cheeks—were often used in Nazi propaganda,” D’Souza said tweeted. “An old Goebbels technique! Looks like today’s progressive Left is still learning its game from an earlier Left in the 1930s.”
It’s unclear why D’Souza would call the most famous far-right party of all time “the Left” (other than a basic misunderstanding that the National Socialist party wasn’t socialist at all). But calling a teen a Nazi just because she wears braids is not a popular take.
normally I'd reply with a joke to point out your idiocy but it occurred to me you're a 58 year old man - A 58 YEAR OLD MAN - comparing a 16 year old who's never done a thing to you as a Nazi. I know you're enjoying the attention this is giving you but this will haunt you forever https://t.co/GwgD0WXy9g— Matt Oswalt (@MattOswaltVA) September 22, 2019
Most Despicable Tweet in the History of Twitter. https://t.co/3hm3M8JsHF— Warren Leight (@warrenleightTV) September 22, 2019
This is the dumbest shit I've ever heard. https://t.co/mcBRZ5951j— profloumoore (@loumoore12) September 23, 2019
This is a truly nauseating and vulgar comparison. If you can't win the argument... https://t.co/X2Pe7F95SM— Rob McDowall (@robmcd85) September 23, 2019
And no, advocating on behalf of the planet is nothing like inspiring people to commit genocide.
- Students across the world are walking out to protest inaction on climate change
- Greta Thunberg tells Congress to ‘listen to the scientists’ about climate crisis
- Conservatives unite against climate change after CNN town hall
- Conservatives can’t stop getting upset about teen climate activist Greta Thunberg
David Covucci is the Layer 8 editor at the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the web. His work has appeared in Vice, the Huffington Post, Jezebel, Gothamist, and other publications. He is particularly interested in hearing any tips you have. Reach out at [email protected]