- Did Pete Buttigieg seriously just rip-off a famous Obama speech? 4 Years Ago
- The most dangerous TikTok challenges we’ve seen—so far 4 Years Ago
- PewDiePie wants Bernie Sanders to host meme review Today 1:44 PM
- Hilary Duff records confrontation with ‘creep’ taking photos of kids Today 1:08 PM
- BTS may have used Twitch streamer’s voice in song without permission Today 12:15 PM
- Gigi Hadid absolutely obliterates Jake Paul over Zayn Malik diss Today 10:26 AM
- People really want Chris Matthews fired after he compared Sanders’ Nevada win to Nazi invasion of France Today 9:35 AM
- Bernie Sanders wins Nevada Caucuses Saturday 6:54 PM
- MSNBC is out of its mind over Sanders leading Nevada Saturday 5:20 PM
- Kim Kardashian dragged for using makeup to darken her hands Saturday 4:13 PM
- TikTok users show how they turned their vehicles into incredible tiny homes Saturday 3:44 PM
- Woman iconically pranks man who sent her an unsolicited d*ck pic Saturday 2:25 PM
- ‘Terrifying’ deepfake puts Jeff Bezos and Elon Musk in ‘Star Trek’ Saturday 1:06 PM
- A 36-year-old called the cops after being booted from parents’ phone plan Saturday 12:16 PM
- People think novelist Dean Koontz predicted the coronavirus in 1981 thriller Saturday 10:22 AM
Anonymous declares ‘total war’ on Donald Trump
Will this video leave Trump shaking in his fine Italian loafers?
The boisterous hacktivist collective released a new video this week promising to wage “total war” on the Republican presidential frontrunner.
“Dear Donald Trump, we have been watching you for a long time and what we see is deeply disturbing,” a masked figure announces in typical Anonymous style.
The video then plays a montage of the many controversial things Trump has said during his presidential campaign.
“Your inconsistent and hateful campaign has not only shocked the United States of America—you have shocked the entire planet with your appalling actions and ideas,” the narrator continues. “You say what your audience wants to hear, but in reality you don’t stand for anything except for your personal greed and power.”
The narrator calls on fellow Anonymous activists to help “dismantle” the Trump campaign through cyberattacks on Trump’s Web properties and other disruptive activities, an “operation” dubbed #OpTrump. The date of attack: April 1.
“We need you to shut down his websites, to research and expose what he doesn’t want the public to know. We need to dismantle his campaign and sabotage his brand,” the narrator says. “We are encouraging every able person with a computer to participate in this operation. This is not a warning, this is a declaration of total war. Donald Trump—it is too late to expect us.”
Anonymous and other hacktivist groups have taken on Trump in the past. In January, a group operating under the name New World Hackers successfully knocked Trump’s website offline.
Most recently, hackers leaked Trump’s voicemails to Gawker, though no evidence has emerged linking the people behind that leak to Anonymous.
These subversive efforts have had little effect on Trump’s bid for the White House. The New York billionaire and reality-TV star remains the leader in most national and state polls.
Andrew Couts is the former editor of Layer 8, a section dedicated to the intersection of the Internet and the state—and the gaps in between. Prior to the Daily Dot, Couts served as features editor and features writer for Digital Trends, associate editor of TheWeek.com, and associate editor at Maxim magazine. When he’s not working, Couts can be found hiking with his German shepherds or blasting around on motorcycles.