- Ohio KKK rally met with massive counter-protest and witty signs from local businesses Saturday 5:06 PM
- Guy who said he stole drugs from MS-13 now says viral story is fake Saturday 4:07 PM
- Financial service company left 885 million private records exposed online Saturday 3:13 PM
- Sasha Obama went to prom and Twitter is delighted with the photos Saturday 2:22 PM
- Jon Voight says Trump is the greatest president since Lincoln in Twitter videos Saturday 1:31 PM
- #DeleteFacebook gains momentum after the platform refused to remove doctored Nancy Pelosi videos Saturday 11:58 AM
- ‘Game of Thrones’ failed women—and it’s a shame on its legacy Saturday 7:40 AM
- How to use Tor, the network that lets you browse the web anonymously Saturday 7:30 AM
- How to live stream Devin Haney vs. Antonio Moran on DAZN Saturday 7:00 AM
- Trump’s transphobic policies are disgusting—but they aren’t new Saturday 6:30 AM
- How to watch the Copa del Rey Final online for free Saturday 5:45 AM
- How to watch the DFB-Pokal final for free Saturday 5:30 AM
- Curvy Wife Guy drops music video for rap song ‘Chubby Sexy’ Friday 7:33 PM
- A ‘Black Mirror’-inspired miniseries is coming to YouTube via Netflix Latin America Friday 5:56 PM
- Kanye West appears on David Letterman’s Netflix show to talk Trump, TMZ, and Drake Friday 3:27 PM
Will this video leave Trump shaking in his fine Italian loafers?
The boisterous hacktivist collective released a new video this week promising to wage “total war” on the Republican presidential frontrunner.
“Dear Donald Trump, we have been watching you for a long time and what we see is deeply disturbing,” a masked figure announces in typical Anonymous style.
The video then plays a montage of the many controversial things Trump has said during his presidential campaign.
“Your inconsistent and hateful campaign has not only shocked the United States of America—you have shocked the entire planet with your appalling actions and ideas,” the narrator continues. “You say what your audience wants to hear, but in reality you don’t stand for anything except for your personal greed and power.”
The narrator calls on fellow Anonymous activists to help “dismantle” the Trump campaign through cyberattacks on Trump’s Web properties and other disruptive activities, an “operation” dubbed #OpTrump. The date of attack: April 1.
“We need you to shut down his websites, to research and expose what he doesn’t want the public to know. We need to dismantle his campaign and sabotage his brand,” the narrator says. “We are encouraging every able person with a computer to participate in this operation. This is not a warning, this is a declaration of total war. Donald Trump—it is too late to expect us.”
Anonymous and other hacktivist groups have taken on Trump in the past. In January, a group operating under the name New World Hackers successfully knocked Trump’s website offline.
Most recently, hackers leaked Trump’s voicemails to Gawker, though no evidence has emerged linking the people behind that leak to Anonymous.
These subversive efforts have had little effect on Trump’s bid for the White House. The New York billionaire and reality-TV star remains the leader in most national and state polls.
Andrew Couts is the former editor of Layer 8, a section dedicated to the intersection of the Internet and the state—and the gaps in between. Prior to the Daily Dot, Couts served as features editor and features writer for Digital Trends, associate editor of TheWeek.com, and associate editor at Maxim magazine. When he’s not working, Couts can be found hiking with his German shepherds or blasting around on motorcycles.