- Netflix thriller ‘Earthquake Bird’ can’t solve its own mystery Monday 4:45 PM
- Goop is selling an expensive ‘restraining arts’ BDSM kit Monday 4:17 PM
- Body positivity actress Lili Reinhart calls out Photoshopping app Monday 3:42 PM
- ‘Rick and Morty’ zeroes in on connections and leans into familiar territory Monday 3:30 PM
- People are sharing photos of how much they’ve changed in a decade Monday 2:30 PM
- A few of our favorite things on Newegg are on sale for Black Friday Monday 2:15 PM
- Disney adds ‘Bob’s Burgers’ movie back to release schedule after accidentally yanking it Monday 2:02 PM
- Ocasio-Cortez launches petition demanding Stephen Miller’s resignation Monday 1:24 PM
- Prince Andrew’s defense against child sex crimes stokes conspiracy theory flames Monday 1:20 PM
- More people may be looking to cancel Disney+ than Netflix Monday 1:09 PM
- Monday Night Football: How to stream Chiefs vs. Chargers live Monday 1:00 PM
- After days of deadly protests, Iran implements ‘largest internet shutdown ever’ Monday 12:55 PM
- ‘Disney Plus and thrust’ is apparently the new Netflix and Chill Monday 12:32 PM
- Woman fired, sued after coworker shared their sexts Monday 12:22 PM
- Group running GoFundMe for border wall breaks ground without permits Monday 11:47 AM
The New Jersey senator’s love for the caffeinated beverage was first spotted by writer Anna Fitzpatrick, who discovered that Booker—a long-time prolific Twitter user–had used a similar joke about being in a relationship with coffee in tweets as far back as 2009.
Booker does seem quite enamored with coffee. He’s described his hypothetical significant other as “hot,” “tall, delicious” and has joked that his relationship with coffee had caused “sleep” to separate from him.
The relationship seems to have been going on since his time as the mayor of Newark, New Jersey.
“‘Sleep’ and I broke up a few nights ago. I’m dating ‘Coffee’ now. She’s Hot!” the senator wrote in May 2009.
"Sleep" and I broke up a few nights ago. I'm dating "Coffee" now. She's Hot!— Cory Booker (@CoryBooker) May 29, 2009
But as Fitzpatrick noted, the joke has come up numerous times in the past decade.
“Mean ‘ole ‘Sleep’ left me for another dude / I’m with ‘Coffee’ now she’s got a stimulating attitude RT @Gman1208 Mayor, do u ever sleep?” he wrote in August 2010.
Perhaps the joke—which he’s posted roughly once per year—came up so much because his followers throughout the years have asked Booker if he ever slept.
Same question, same joke?
I had another fight with sleep. We broke up again. So I'm back with coffee now. She is hot. RT @soozscott: Mr Mayor, do you ever sleep?— Cory Booker (@CoryBooker) June 30, 2012
Sleep and I broke up again. I'm back with coffee. She is hot. RT @jmryan2010: You just never sleep, do you, sir??— Cory Booker (@CoryBooker) February 2, 2013
The latest coffee-relationship joke tweet from the senator was fairly recent.
In 2017, when asked yet again by a Twitter user about whether he got a lot of sleep, Booker went back to the joke, saying he appreciated coffee’s “warmth and stimulating company.”
Andrew Wyrich is a politics staff writer for the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the internet. Andrew has written for USA Today, NorthJersey.com, and other newspapers and websites. His work has been recognized by the Society of the Silurians, Investigative Reporters & Editors (IRE), and the Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ).