- Everything we know so far about Peacock, NBC’s new streaming service Tuesday 7:42 PM
- Selena Gomez producing docuseries about immigration for Netflix Tuesday 7:11 PM
- How to stream Manchester City vs. Shakhtar Donetsk in Champions League action Tuesday 6:14 PM
- Milo Yiannopoulos threatens to crash furry convention he is barred from Tuesday 5:54 PM
- How to stream Juventus vs. Atletico Madrid in Champions League action Tuesday 5:52 PM
- How to stream Real Madrid vs. PSG in Champions League action Tuesday 5:24 PM
- No-fly zone implemented over Area 51 ahead of Alienstock festival Tuesday 5:16 PM
- TikTok accused of censoring content about Hong Kong protests Tuesday 5:04 PM
- Smoke ’em, pass ’em, Week 3: At the Bakery Tuesday 4:38 PM
- Alex Trebek says he will be undergoing chemotherapy again Tuesday 4:27 PM
- Dan Crenshaw roasted after attacking Sanders’ call for veteran care Tuesday 4:19 PM
- How to stream NXT for its USA network debut Tuesday 4:12 PM
- This website will show you how AI classifies you Tuesday 3:22 PM
- School tells Black 4-year-old to cut his hair or wear a dress Tuesday 3:17 PM
- Lizzo called a ‘snitch’ for accusing Postmates runner of stealing food Tuesday 2:30 PM
The New Jersey senator’s love for the caffeinated beverage was first spotted by writer Anna Fitzpatrick, who discovered that Booker—a long-time prolific Twitter user–had used a similar joke about being in a relationship with coffee in tweets as far back as 2009.
Booker does seem quite enamored with coffee. He’s described his hypothetical significant other as “hot,” “tall, delicious” and has joked that his relationship with coffee had caused “sleep” to separate from him.
The relationship seems to have been going on since his time as the mayor of Newark, New Jersey.
“‘Sleep’ and I broke up a few nights ago. I’m dating ‘Coffee’ now. She’s Hot!” the senator wrote in May 2009.
"Sleep" and I broke up a few nights ago. I'm dating "Coffee" now. She's Hot!— Cory Booker (@CoryBooker) May 29, 2009
But as Fitzpatrick noted, the joke has come up numerous times in the past decade.
“Mean ‘ole ‘Sleep’ left me for another dude / I’m with ‘Coffee’ now she’s got a stimulating attitude RT @Gman1208 Mayor, do u ever sleep?” he wrote in August 2010.
Perhaps the joke—which he’s posted roughly once per year—came up so much because his followers throughout the years have asked Booker if he ever slept.
Same question, same joke?
I had another fight with sleep. We broke up again. So I'm back with coffee now. She is hot. RT @soozscott: Mr Mayor, do you ever sleep?— Cory Booker (@CoryBooker) June 30, 2012
Sleep and I broke up again. I'm back with coffee. She is hot. RT @jmryan2010: You just never sleep, do you, sir??— Cory Booker (@CoryBooker) February 2, 2013
The latest coffee-relationship joke tweet from the senator was fairly recent.
In 2017, when asked yet again by a Twitter user about whether he got a lot of sleep, Booker went back to the joke, saying he appreciated coffee’s “warmth and stimulating company.”
Andrew Wyrich is a politics staff writer for the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the internet. Andrew has written for USA Today, NorthJersey.com, and other newspapers and websites. His work has been recognized by the Society of the Silurians, Investigative Reporters & Editors (IRE), and the Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ).