- Tom Holland rescues fan getting squashed by autograph hounds Tuesday 7:14 PM
- What is incel ‘Chadfishing’? Tuesday 6:36 PM
- Facebook to give France data on users suspected of hate speech Tuesday 5:29 PM
- This 89-year-old man is stunned by all the technology around him—in 1930 Tuesday 5:21 PM
- Wayfair refuses to stop furnishing migrant detention centers Tuesday 4:48 PM
- Woah! How did Keanu Reeves get so small? Tuesday 4:37 PM
- The centrist argument against Sanders’ student loan plan is getting ripped apart Tuesday 4:08 PM
- Jonathan Frakes confirms that you’re right in yet another meme Tuesday 3:56 PM
- Meryl Streep, Ariana Grande set to star in Netflix’s ‘The Prom’ Tuesday 3:35 PM
- ‘Stranger Things’ Season 3 goodies are here just in time Tuesday 3:01 PM
- Kim Kardashian’s shapewear line Kimono is already getting called out Tuesday 2:11 PM
- ‘Aggretsuko’ tones down the rage in season 2 Tuesday 1:13 PM
- TikTok is being used to call out predators Tuesday 12:41 PM
- Republican congressman wants to defund PBS over the gay rat wedding Tuesday 12:39 PM
- Elizabeth Warren calls for sweeping overhaul of U.S. elections Tuesday 11:47 AM
The tweets go back to around 2009.
The New Jersey senator’s love for the caffeinated beverage was first spotted by writer Anna Fitzpatrick, who discovered that Booker—a long-time prolific Twitter user–had used a similar joke about being in a relationship with coffee in tweets as far back as 2009.
Booker does seem quite enamored with coffee. He’s described his hypothetical significant other as “hot,” “tall, delicious” and has joked that his relationship with coffee had caused “sleep” to separate from him.
The relationship seems to have been going on since his time as the mayor of Newark, New Jersey.
“‘Sleep’ and I broke up a few nights ago. I’m dating ‘Coffee’ now. She’s Hot!” the senator wrote in May 2009.
"Sleep" and I broke up a few nights ago. I'm dating "Coffee" now. She's Hot!
— Cory Booker (@CoryBooker) May 29, 2009
But as Fitzpatrick noted, the joke has come up numerous times in the past decade.
“Mean ‘ole ‘Sleep’ left me for another dude / I’m with ‘Coffee’ now she’s got a stimulating attitude RT @Gman1208 Mayor, do u ever sleep?” he wrote in August 2010.
Perhaps the joke—which he’s posted roughly once per year—came up so much because his followers throughout the years have asked Booker if he ever slept.
Same question, same joke?
I had another fight with sleep. We broke up again. So I'm back with coffee now. She is hot. RT @soozscott: Mr Mayor, do you ever sleep?
— Cory Booker (@CoryBooker) June 30, 2012
Sleep and I broke up again. I'm back with coffee. She is hot. RT @jmryan2010: You just never sleep, do you, sir??
— Cory Booker (@CoryBooker) February 2, 2013
The latest coffee-relationship joke tweet from the senator was fairly recent.
In 2017, when asked yet again by a Twitter user about whether he got a lot of sleep, Booker went back to the joke, saying he appreciated coffee’s “warmth and stimulating company.”
Andrew Wyrich is a politics staff writer for the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the internet. Andrew has written for USA Today, NorthJersey.com, and other newspapers and websites. His work has been recognized by the Society of the Silurians, Investigative Reporters & Editors (IRE), and the Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ).