- Beyoncé’s ‘Lemonade’ is finally coming to Spotify, Apple Music Wednesday 8:48 PM
- Ubisoft is offering Assassin’s Creed Unity for free to support Notre Dame Wednesday 8:25 PM
- Are teens really eating foods with the ‘shells on’ for a new viral challenge? Wednesday 6:39 PM
- The new Samsung Galaxy Fold already seems to be falling apart Wednesday 4:17 PM
- Think the ‘Game of Thrones’ spirals are all connected? Think again Wednesday 3:13 PM
- Rudy Giuliani retweets prominent QAnon supporter Wednesday 2:03 PM
- India bans TikTok over concerns of child endangerment Wednesday 2:00 PM
- JJ Abrams says there’s more to Rey’s origin story Wednesday 1:16 PM
- Lisa Ann says Equinox trainer looked up her number and sent her a creepy text Wednesday 1:01 PM
- 8 essentials every grad needs to succeed as an adult Wednesday 1:00 PM
- Makeup artist shows you how to become Kylie Jenner’s baby Wednesday 12:54 PM
- People are more concerned with this woman’s age than her being a school shooting threat Wednesday 12:14 PM
- Why are conservatives so obsessed with cargo shorts? Wednesday 11:46 AM
- How to transfer your Nintendo Switch save data Wednesday 11:45 AM
- Trans military ban causes student to lose ROTC scholarship Wednesday 11:04 AM
The tweets go back to around 2009.
The New Jersey senator’s love for the caffeinated beverage was first spotted by writer Anna Fitzpatrick, who discovered that Booker—a long-time prolific Twitter user–had used a similar joke about being in a relationship with coffee in tweets as far back as 2009.
Booker does seem quite enamored with coffee. He’s described his hypothetical significant other as “hot,” “tall, delicious” and has joked that his relationship with coffee had caused “sleep” to separate from him.
The relationship seems to have been going on since his time as the mayor of Newark, New Jersey.
“‘Sleep’ and I broke up a few nights ago. I’m dating ‘Coffee’ now. She’s Hot!” the senator wrote in May 2009.
"Sleep" and I broke up a few nights ago. I'm dating "Coffee" now. She's Hot!
— Cory Booker (@CoryBooker) May 29, 2009
But as Fitzpatrick noted, the joke has come up numerous times in the past decade.
“Mean ‘ole ‘Sleep’ left me for another dude / I’m with ‘Coffee’ now she’s got a stimulating attitude RT @Gman1208 Mayor, do u ever sleep?” he wrote in August 2010.
Perhaps the joke—which he’s posted roughly once per year—came up so much because his followers throughout the years have asked Booker if he ever slept.
Same question, same joke?
I had another fight with sleep. We broke up again. So I'm back with coffee now. She is hot. RT @soozscott: Mr Mayor, do you ever sleep?
— Cory Booker (@CoryBooker) June 30, 2012
Sleep and I broke up again. I'm back with coffee. She is hot. RT @jmryan2010: You just never sleep, do you, sir??
— Cory Booker (@CoryBooker) February 2, 2013
The latest coffee-relationship joke tweet from the senator was fairly recent.
In 2017, when asked yet again by a Twitter user about whether he got a lot of sleep, Booker went back to the joke, saying he appreciated coffee’s “warmth and stimulating company.”
Andrew Wyrich is a politics staff writer for the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the internet. Andrew has written for USA Today, NorthJersey.com, and other newspapers and websites. His work has been recognized by the Society of the Silurians, Investigative Reporters & Editors (IRE), and the Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ).