- Miss USA thought everyone spoke English—and the internet is not amused Thursday 8:02 PM
- Kanye’s Twitter tirade prompts apology from Drake Thursday 6:00 PM
- Listen to Pitbull cover Toto’s ‘Africa’ for the ‘Aquaman’ soundtrack—or don’t Thursday 4:55 PM
- Nancy Pelosi’s coat is the meme the resistance needed Thursday 4:39 PM
- Oprah says what was really on her mind while she ate bland chicken Thursday 4:00 PM
- Democrats predicted to go in on net neutrality when they take House Thursday 3:33 PM
- Holland Tunnel decorations are a real nightmare before Christmas Thursday 2:12 PM
- Amazon still won’t say whether ICE uses its facial recognition tech Thursday 1:13 PM
- Ninja to host Thursday Night Football Thursday 12:00 PM
- How to stream the NFL’s Week 15 for free Thursday 12:00 PM
- An undecorated room sets off a debate on Twitter Thursday 11:42 AM
- Netflix announces Taylor Swift ‘Reputation’ concert film Thursday 11:29 AM
- People are making memes out of these ‘leaked’ ‘Sonic the Hedgehog’ posters Thursday 11:12 AM
- How to watch the Liga MX final between Club América and Cruz Azul online for free Thursday 10:38 AM
- Parents shocked by KKK costumes in school play Thursday 10:11 AM
Thirsty Ben Shapiro gets mocked for offering to pay Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez to come on his show
Here is an unabashedly leftist person of color speaking her mind, calling for policies that conservatives dislike. And their general response has been: “How dare she?!”
Enter Ben Shapiro, a conservative person on the internet who recently needed nearly 3,000 words to explain how everyone who has called him racist is wrong.
In a video posted to Twitter, Shapiro asked Ocasio-Cortez to come on his show to talk about her ideas and even offered her $10,000 to do so.
— Ben Shapiro (@benshapiro) August 8, 2018
Not only does Shapiro reek of the entitlement inherent in affluent men here, waving about his wealth at others to get what he wants, Ocasio-Cortez—having been thoroughly slimed by conservative media over the past two months—has no reason or need to go on his show.
Shapiro (an intellectual) knows this. He’s just doing it so he can then call Ocasio-Cortez out for not coming on his show and being afraid to ~really~ debate the issues.
People on Twitter found his insistence on it, and his video proposal, as well as his offer of money, to be thoroughly creepy
Dear Slim, I wrote you but you still ain't callin
I left my cell, my pager, and my home phone at the bottom
I sent two letters back in autumn, you must not've got emhttps://t.co/UC0FzQsWFM
— Ken Klippenstein (@kenklippenstein) August 9, 2018
This dude is so thirsty. https://t.co/s7IlMib4ov
— D̪̦̗͔̯r̫̘͉̫͇̘͞ Sol (@DrSolParkens) August 9, 2018
It's really amusing how one Latina winning a primary in NYC has thrown conservatives for such a big loop https://t.co/eTtC1KZoTh
— Steven (@ScubaSteveSiano) August 9, 2018
Little man offers to pay pretty girl to talk to him… https://t.co/RS6rounV8X
— Muta Asinus Vulpes (@cyclodog) August 9, 2018
That said, some of Shapiro’s fans were excited for it to happen.
— jay (@justingoree) August 9, 2018
He literally looks and sounds like a high schooler on the debate team. https://t.co/CU5oz1bJzR
— Ashley Reese (@offbeatorbit) August 9, 2018
— Greg (@cafeRooster) August 9, 2018
Ocasio-Cortez only has to engage with the people she wants to represent in New York City. That aside, she is free to engage or not engage with anyone else as she pleases.
David Covucci is the Layer 8 editor at the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the web. His work has appeared in Vice, the Huffington Post, Jezebel, Gothamist, and other publications. He is particularly interested in hearing any tips you have. Reach out at [email protected]