- 70 Border Patrol employees under investigation for posts in secret Facebook group 1 Year Ago
- Republican’s Operation Safe Return criticized as cover for mass deporation 1 Year Ago
- ‘Chernobyl’ star Jared Harris is concerned about people taking Instagrams there Today 12:18 PM
- Mattel’s BTS dolls are finally up for preorder Today 12:14 PM
- Harry Styles is in talks to play Prince Eric in ‘The Little Mermaid’ Today 11:44 AM
- Graphic video shows father beating young daughter for being sexually active Today 11:40 AM
- Black conservative activist made #IceBae a thing Today 9:53 AM
- Jeffrey Epstein’s pilot deletes Instagram after Kellyanne Conway pic surfaces Today 7:56 AM
- ‘Pennyworth’ is a deliriously strange addition to the Batman franchise Today 7:30 AM
- How to read free magazines with your Amazon Prime membership Today 7:00 AM
- 2020 celeb donations: Hanks loves Biden, Stamos stans Buttigieg Today 6:30 AM
- AirTV is essential for Sling TV subscribers Today 6:00 AM
- #ICEBae is reportedly a Democrat–and she has some things to get off her chest Tuesday 8:45 PM
- Fans are stoked that Taika Waititi is back to direct ‘Thor 4’ Tuesday 7:22 PM
- Sacha Baron Cohen thanks ‘co-stars’ Dick Cheney, Sarah Palin for making Emmy nominations possible Tuesday 6:43 PM
The group discussed the shooting at Santa Fe High School that happened Friday morning, which left at least 10 dead and another 10 wounded.
“One of the things that made me totally unable to vote for Trump was the famous [Access] Hollywood tape,” she said. “Well, the NRA has Donald Trump grabbed by the pussy, OK?”
Her comment was met with applause from the in-studio audience.
“It’s appalling. The fact that we are not trying to do everything possible to try and stop these shootings is disgusting. You have to be 25 years old to rent a car. Why don’t you have to be 25 years old to buy a gun?”
She said the U.S. should “try everything,” from refraining from naming the school shooters who “want the notoriety”—an idea presented by parents from the Parkland shooting—to holding the Texas gunman’s father “criminally liable” since the gun used in the shooting belonged to him. Sex columnist Dan Savage also suggested changing laws that make it impossible to sue gun manufacturers.
The group also discussed the fact that gun violence in America is definitely getting worse and that last year, more students died at school that soldiers in combat.
Weiss also mentioned the Santa Fe High School student, Paige Curry, who told reporters on Friday that she always knew that a shooting would eventually happen at her own school because it “happens everywhere.”
In the same interview, Weiss received criticism from viewers on Twitter because she said folks in the U.S. shouldn’t buy into feeling sorry for Palestinian protesters because she believes they wanted the Palestinian Massacre to happen to help their cause.
Bari Weiss thinks you shouldn't be concerned or outraged that Israel shot 1,350 & killed 62 Palestinians because that's what Palestinian leadership wants you to do & they somehow planned for Israel to shoot Palestinian protesters.— Saeen (@_Saeen_) May 19, 2018
Bill Maher "couldn't agree more with that." pic.twitter.com/m3C5YsmmAV
Love how the unquestioned assumption from @bariweiss here is, 'well yeah obviously Israeli forces had to murder protestors'. The kill count was 62-0. This wasn't even a 'clash' with protestors, this was murder from a safe distance. https://t.co/olwafbOvOo— David Doel (@daviddoel) May 19, 2018
Weiss is the same columnist who wrote the controversial editorial about Aziz Ansari after he was accused of sexual impropriety by Babe.net, in which she says the #MeToo movement has become an “emblem for female helplessness.”
Tess Cagle is a reporter who focuses on politics, lifestyle, and streaming entertainment. Her work has appeared in the New York Times, Texas Monthly, the Austin American-Statesman, Damn Joan, and Community Impact Newspaper. She’s also a portrait, events, and live music photographer in Central Texas.