- The new ‘Hunger Games’ book paints President Snow as a hero—and people are not happy Tuesday 9:03 PM
- Influencer called out for ‘troubling image’ with Kenyan child Tuesday 8:18 PM
- Professor arrested for spending $185K of grant money on iTunes and strippers Tuesday 7:28 PM
- Man cuts his books in half to make them ‘portable,’ spurs online debate Tuesday 6:09 PM
- Fans defend Lana Del Rey after she was mocked for flying commercial Tuesday 5:10 PM
- Lady Gaga fans find alleged new song name in her website’s code Tuesday 4:42 PM
- Barstool Sports deletes anti-union tweets, blog post in settlement Tuesday 3:47 PM
- The ‘can have … as a treat’ meme has come full circle Tuesday 3:09 PM
- Joe Rogan says he’s voting for Bernie Sanders Tuesday 2:54 PM
- Woman spots mole in man’s TikTok video, saves him from cancer Tuesday 2:17 PM
- ‘You’ star confirms his character is queer and ‘never will be’ straight Tuesday 1:08 PM
- This Twitch streamer pooped his pants during a broadcast Tuesday 12:17 PM
- Apple’s iCloud encryption plan halted amid FBI pressure, report Tuesday 10:57 AM
- Glenn Greenwald charged with cybercrimes in Brazil Tuesday 10:48 AM
- BadBunny rips her fans for not sending her enough money Tuesday 10:06 AM
A prominent antifa activist from Portland, Oregon, died on Saturday after a hit-and-run outside a local bar. In a tweet, Portland’s Rose City Antifa said that 23-year-old Sean Kealiher’s death was unrelated to his activism.
Our hearts go out to the friends and family members affected by the death of Sean Kealiher. Our sources indicate that this was not related to fascist activity.— Always Antifascist (@RoseCityAntifa) October 13, 2019
If you are struggling with this news, we would encourage contacting Lines for Life at 800-273-8255.
But self-proclaimed journalist Andy Ngo, who became a national figure after he was attacked by antifa-affiliated protesters with a milkshake during a protest, wants Kealiher to be remembered for being mean to him.
An antifa militant died in mysterious circumstances involving gunfire & a car crash. @tedwheeler, media & antifa groups are honoring Sean Kealiher aka “Armeanio Lewis” as some sort of social justice peace maker. I knew him for threatening journalists: pic.twitter.com/mPFgn9F3u0— Andy Ngo (@MrAndyNgo) October 13, 2019
Ngo has long maintained he is an independent reporter who covers the far-left despite his ties to the far-right. He’s also had a loose relationship with the truth while reporting on antifa.
Over the weekend, Ngo followed up news of Kealiher’s death with tweets blasting the activist and sharing clips of confrontations. “I knew him for threatening journalists,” Ngo wrote.
The Portland antifa militant killed in unclear circumstances gained a reputation for threatening journalists. Still, @tedwheeler & others have ignored this. He threatened violence against myself & a former colleague when we were in student media. https://t.co/3P6KYa1t9n— Andy Ngo (@MrAndyNgo) October 13, 2019
When I was on my 1st assignment for student paper at Portland State in spring 2016, I recorded Sean Kealiher (who was not a student) arrive w/a group of outsiders to shut down a pro-Trump student group meeting. Kealiher jumped on table to try & fight a student who was filming: pic.twitter.com/BKA4HvQkQT— Andy Ngo (@MrAndyNgo) October 13, 2019
When Portland Mayor Ted Wheeler tweeted out his condolences, Ngo asked, “How come?”
Many citizens in Portland have been killed or victimized in other brutal ways but never received personal condolences from you. How come? Kealiher was a militant and violent far-left activist.— Andy Ngo (@MrAndyNgo) October 13, 2019
People on Twitter criticized Ngo for using someone’s death to remind everyone how much he disliked the person.
Andy Ngo on Wednesday vs Andy Ngo on Saturday. pic.twitter.com/cO2AqtGyFM— Emily Ghoulcenski (@EmilyGorcenski) October 13, 2019
Andy Ngo has taken it upon himself to publicly drag the person, my friend, who was murdered in a hit and run last night. He has threads with people celebrating Sean’s murder. The suggestion seems to be that he had it coming. Ngo is a monster.— Shane Burley (@shane_burley1) October 13, 2019
Andy Ngo makes a crybaby gofundme that makes hundreds of thousands of dollars when he is “attacked” by antifa w/ no medical receipts & makes enough that he quit his job at shillette, but insinuates that a dead protestor deserved to die for being too mean to right-wing journalists— Jennifer C. Martin (@notreallyjcm) October 13, 2019
Andy Ngo, a person who produces propaganda for fascists, digs up an old clip of a young anti-fascist activist to publicly shame him in front of his 300,000 followers the same night that he died. Fuck Andy Ngo. https://t.co/wzRyi11D7N— h⭒ (@hermvvn) October 14, 2019
Ngo was previously spotted laughing with Patriot Prayer, a far-right group, as they plotted an attack on antifa activists.
- Andy Ngo seen laughing as Patriot Prayer members plan an attack in newly emerged video
- Say hello to ‘antira,’ the far-right’s answer to antifa
- Edited videos of Portland protests are telling half-truths
- Nazi troll pretending to be antifa in Portland gets outed by internet
- How will the Democratic Socialists handle antifa?
David Covucci is the Layer 8 editor at the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the web. His work has appeared in Vice, the Huffington Post, Jezebel, Gothamist, and other publications. He is particularly interested in hearing any tips you have. Reach out at [email protected]