- Riots break out after a fake email about coronavirus went viral Thursday 8:59 PM
- Bloomberg edits debate clip to make other Democratic candidates appear speechless Thursday 7:50 PM
- Dad claims YouTube refuses to remove video of daughter’s murder Thursday 6:36 PM
- Video of Kanye leaving Kim in elevator to carry all their bags has people cackling Thursday 6:19 PM
- Orlando Bloom’s tattoo misspelled son’s name because of Pinterest Thursday 5:35 PM
- The Ahi Challenge is the latest dance taking over TikTok Thursday 4:40 PM
- Show criticized for putting rape victim in blackface to protect her identity Thursday 3:42 PM
- Woman becomes viral sensation after iconic ‘Shallow’ subway video Thursday 2:48 PM
- Prettyboyfredo tried to gift a bullied teen some $30,000 Nikes at school—he got detained Thursday 2:13 PM
- ‘Vanderpump Rules’ recap: Wedding bells and blows Thursday 1:50 PM
- A 16-year-old made a ‘meme guide’ to help her dad understand online trends Thursday 1:46 PM
- UCLA drops plans to use facial recognition after student pushback Thursday 1:07 PM
- ‘Star Trek: Picard’ recap, episode 5: ‘Stardust City Rag’ Thursday 12:56 PM
- Roger Stone sentenced to 40 months in prison Thursday 12:45 PM
- New The 1975 music video is full of memes you’ll love Thursday 12:28 PM
Two transgender women were robbed at knifepoint after meeting a man through a dating app, LGBTQ Nation reports.
Police in Washington, D.C., are looking for a man who used the dating app Tagged to lure the women. The robber used a knife to take the first victim’s belongings and car on Oct. 7, according to police. Officials reportedly believe the same person is responsible for an additional Tagged-related robbery on Oct. 15, which left the victim with non-life threatening stab wounds.
MPD seeks the public's assistance in identifying a suspect in Carjacking and Robbery offenses that occurred in the Seventh District.— DC Police Department (@DCPoliceDept) October 15, 2019
See press release here: https://t.co/dQzFur0Nl0
Have info? Call (202) 727-9099/text 50411 pic.twitter.com/VzYKHgXleW
Around a month ago, in an unrelated attack, D.C. police arrested a man who assaulted and robbed a transgender woman. The Washington Blade reports that a video surfaced of the suspect saying he hates trans women during the incident.
The American Medical Association has deemed the rise in violence against trans people an epidemic after the 18th transgender person was murdered this year, the New York Times reported in September.
Since then, three more trans people have been murdered in the U.S., according to the Human Rights Campaign. Commenters on Reddit were unsurprised by the most recent D.C. attacks.
“I don’t think anyone is surprised, unfortunately,” redditor tbmcmahan wrote.
Tagged, the dating app used in the October robberies, did not immediately respond to the Daily Dot’s request for comment.
- Man dragged for recording, posting video of neighbor being ‘killed’ instead of helping
- Prison guards reportedly mocked trans inmates in private Facebook groups
- Scotland grants pardons to men, trans women convicted under homophobic laws
H/T LGBTQ Nation
Libby Cohen is a third-year University of Texas student originally from New Jersey. She has written for ORANGE Magazine, the Daily Texan, and most recently interned for 1010 WINS in NYC. She's now back in Austin writing for the Texas Standard and the Daily Dot.