- Video shows moment coach disarmed student of shotgun, then hugged him Sunday 7:38 PM
- Jared Leto reportedly tried to stop ‘Joker’ from happening Sunday 4:12 PM
- People are grossed out by cow insemination-themed pregnancy announcement Sunday 3:13 PM
- Major protests in Lebanon triggered by plan to tax WhatsApp calls Sunday 1:38 PM
- Frank Ocean’s $60 HIV prevention drug-themed shirts called tone-deaf Sunday 12:49 PM
- ‘Joker’ stairs latest Instagram spot; locals joke about potential robberies Sunday 10:30 AM
- PewDiePie banned in China after reacting to Winnie the Pooh memes Sunday 8:46 AM
- How to stream Cowboys vs. Eagles on Sunday Night Football Sunday 7:00 AM
- How to stream Chargers vs. Titans in Week 7 Sunday 6:00 AM
- 13 spooky romance games for adults Sunday 6:00 AM
- How to stream ‘Power’ season 6, episode 9 Sunday 5:00 AM
- How to stream Impact Wrestling’s Bound For Glory Sunday 5:00 AM
- How to stream Bills vs. Dolphins in Week 7 Sunday 4:30 AM
- How to stream Jaguars vs. Bengals in Week 7 Sunday 4:00 AM
- How to stream Texans vs. Colts in Week 7 Sunday 3:00 AM
A Lyft driver has been arrested and charged after reportedly taking his passenger to his apartment and raping her.
Yousef Hamed, 30, responded to a Lyft call to pick up a woman in New Orleans on Jan. 23. He then reportedly took her to his home a few miles away from the intended destination and raped her. The woman, who local media has not named for privacy concerns, was intoxicated and the Lyft ride had been ordered by her friend.
The woman eventually convinced Hamed to take her home, NOLA reported. She reportedly did not have her phone on her, as she’d accidentally left it behind before she got on the ride.
Immediately following her attack, the 43-year-old woman contacted the police and had a rape kit performed on her. Lyft did not immediately respond to the Daily Dot’s request for information on the case but seemingly cooperated with investigators to share information about Hamed.
Hamed was arrested on Tuesday and has been booked at Jefferson Parish Sheriff’s Office and charged with kidnapping and rape.
Lyft’s website says the company conducts background checks before on-boarding drivers. It’s not clear if Hamed has any prior records. The Jefferson Parish Sheriff’s Office did not immediately respond to the Daily Dot’s request for comments.
Samira Sadeque is a New York-based journalist reporting on immigration, sexual violence, and mental health, and will sometimes write about memes and dinosaurs too. Her work also appears in Reuters, NPR, and NBC among other publications. She graduated from Columbia Journalism School, and her work has been nominated for SAJA awards. Follow: @Samideque