- The ’24 hours to respond’ meme holds celebrities to a higher standard Monday 8:46 PM
- Twitter users miss the kids who walked in on their dad’s interview Monday 8:40 PM
- ‘The Thing About Men’ Twitter hashtag is full of sarcasm and misogyny Monday 7:27 PM
- This woman said Hillary Clinton losing the 2016 election gave her PTSD, and people are furious Monday 6:45 PM
- Vanessa Bryant files a lawsuit against helicopter company after deaths of Kobe and Gianna Monday 5:49 PM
- Michael Jordan cries at Kobe Bryant memorial, jokes about creating a new meme Monday 4:43 PM
- Woman’s boyfriend says it’s him or the frogs—Reddit says choose the frogs Monday 4:22 PM
- Greyhound buses will no longer allow Border Patrol checks Monday 4:04 PM
- ‘Eat Them To Defeat Them’ is oddly about vegetables—not about eating the rich Monday 3:26 PM
- Marco Rubio mocked for filming talking while driving socialism critique Monday 2:54 PM
- QAnon believer asks Trump’s campaign press secretary who Q is Monday 2:36 PM
- Octavia Spencer has discovered ‘Ma’ memes—and she can’t get enough Monday 2:09 PM
- Meet the anti-Greta Thunberg, a climate ‘skeptic’ funded by the oil industry Monday 1:12 PM
- Harvey Weinstein convicted of rape and sexual assault Monday 12:56 PM
- Senator calls Facebook’s current election disinformation efforts ‘inadequate’ in letter Monday 12:11 PM
A Lyft driver has been arrested and charged after reportedly taking his passenger to his apartment and raping her.
Yousef Hamed, 30, responded to a Lyft call to pick up a woman in New Orleans on Jan. 23. He then reportedly took her to his home a few miles away from the intended destination and raped her. The woman, who local media has not named for privacy concerns, was intoxicated and the Lyft ride had been ordered by her friend.
The woman eventually convinced Hamed to take her home, NOLA reported. She reportedly did not have her phone on her, as she’d accidentally left it behind before she got on the ride.
Immediately following her attack, the 43-year-old woman contacted the police and had a rape kit performed on her. Lyft did not immediately respond to the Daily Dot’s request for information on the case but seemingly cooperated with investigators to share information about Hamed.
Hamed was arrested on Tuesday and has been booked at Jefferson Parish Sheriff’s Office and charged with kidnapping and rape.
Lyft’s website says the company conducts background checks before on-boarding drivers. It’s not clear if Hamed has any prior records. The Jefferson Parish Sheriff’s Office did not immediately respond to the Daily Dot’s request for comments.
Samira Sadeque is a New York-based journalist reporting on immigration, sexual violence, and mental health, and will sometimes write about memes and dinosaurs too. Her work also appears in Reuters, NPR, and NBC among other publications. She graduated from Columbia Journalism School, and her work has been nominated for SAJA awards. Follow: @Samideque