- QAnon-touting congressman sneaks ‘Epstein Didn’t Kill Himself’ into tweets Wednesday 7:12 PM
- Ocasio-Cortez met a famous drag queen–and the right melted down Wednesday 6:09 PM
- Woman says Lyft driver tried to kidnap her Wednesday 5:18 PM
- Debunking the right-wing conspiracy theories from today’s impeachment hearing Wednesday 4:29 PM
- Maroon 5 approves of the latest TikTok trend Wednesday 3:54 PM
- ‘One month left in the decade’ meme wants to know what you’ve accomplished Wednesday 3:53 PM
- Facebook Pay is the latest way to send your friends money Wednesday 3:31 PM
- Diving into ‘The Mandalorian’s first big shocker Wednesday 3:17 PM
- Disney+ will allow password sharing—to an extent Wednesday 1:12 PM
- Black server says manager refused to discipline coworkers who sent racist receipt Wednesday 12:47 PM
- Who is Jonah Hauer-King, Disney’s new Prince Eric? Wednesday 12:47 PM
- Cut Katherine Langford ‘Avengers: Endgame’ scene lands on Disney+ Wednesday 12:22 PM
- Planned Parenthood app to show abortion-seeking users their nearest options Wednesday 12:21 PM
- ‘The Imagineering Story’ offers touching insight into Walt Disney’s vision Wednesday 11:57 AM
- YouTube mom who was charged with child abuse dead at 48 Wednesday 11:39 AM
People are grossed out by a pregnancy announcement that many are comparing to The Handmaid’s Tale.
The woman featured in the announcement is seemingly pretending to be livestock as she peeps her head out of a cow insemination enclosure. The man in the photo is standing next to the enclosure and holding a sign that reads, “bred.” He is wearing a blue, plastic elbow-length glove, which is typically used to inseminate cattle.
Twitter user @Wolfrum shared the photo on Friday. Wolfrum captioned the photo, “The future conservatives want.”
The future conservatives want. pic.twitter.com/iBKIuaQnBQ— William K. Wolfrum (@Wolfrum) October 18, 2019
The photo also made its way to other social media sites. “I’m one more awkward pregnancy announcement away from declaring emancipation from the whole human race,” a Facebook user wrote, along with the photo.
I’m one more awkward pregnancy announcement away from declaring emancipation from the whole human race. And count me 👏 all 👏 the 👏 way 👏 out 👏 for the gender reveal.🤮🐄 🤢🤯🤮🖕🏻🤢🤦♀️🤢😱Posted by Crystal Winters on Friday, October 18, 2019
The announcement has prompted many disgusted reactions, with some explaining what the glove is used for.
“Sorry need to get this off of here,” Twitter user @BoltTheBee wrote, along with a meme of a woman scrubbing her laptop clean.
Is where they put cows for insemination. That's what the long rubber glove is for.— emigre80 (@emigre80) October 19, 2019
Please don't ask me to explain further.
artificial insemination with frozen bull sperm. interesting.— Rickster Rickster (@RicksterRicks) October 19, 2019
Super disgusting. Even for farmers.— Karen (@reinereignante) October 18, 2019
They prey check cows by sleeveing them so that’s why they did it like this lol— J$ (@mrs_jamison_) October 19, 2019
Gross but I guess they’re big cattle people
Many seemed to agree with Wolfrum’s “the future conservatives want” caption and drew comparisons to Margaret Atwood’s The Handmaid’s Tale. “The Milkmaid’s Tale,” as one dubbed it.
In the Hulu series, fertile women are forced into sex slavery, and their sole purpose is to get pregnant and have children in Gilead.
“That feels like it could be from the more rural parts of Gilead in the Handmaid’s Tale universe,” Twitter user @jamesreb wrote.
The Milkmaid's Tale.— Jon French (@JonQFrench) October 18, 2019
That feels like it could be from the more rural parts of Gilead in the Handmaid's Tale universe.— James Reberry (@jamesreb) October 18, 2019
Samira Sadeque is a New York-based journalist reporting on immigration, sexual violence, and mental health, and will sometimes write about memes and dinosaurs too. Her work also appears in Reuters, NPR, and NBC among other publications. She graduated from Columbia Journalism School, and her work has been nominated for SAJA awards. Follow: @Samideque