- #DeleteFacebook gains momentum after the platform refused to remove doctored Nancy Pelosi videos 7 Months Ago
- ‘Game of Thrones’ failed women—and it’s a shame on its legacy Today 7:40 AM
- How to use Tor, the network that lets you browse the web anonymously Today 7:30 AM
- How to live stream Devin Haney vs. Antonio Moran on DAZN Today 7:00 AM
- Trump’s transphobic policies are disgusting—but they aren’t new Today 6:30 AM
- How to watch the Copa del Rey Final online for free Today 5:45 AM
- How to watch the DFB-Pokal final for free Today 5:30 AM
- Curvy Wife Guy drops music video for rap song ‘Chubby Sexy’ Friday 7:33 PM
- A ‘Black Mirror’-inspired miniseries is coming to YouTube via Netflix Latin America Friday 5:56 PM
- Kanye West appears on David Letterman’s Netflix show to talk Trump, TMZ, and Drake Friday 3:27 PM
- QAnon believers link small-town arrest to deep state conspiracy without evidence Friday 1:58 PM
- Instagram photos showing prison conditions spark massive protest Friday 1:33 PM
- ‘Gay rat wedding’ headline sparks amazing new meme Friday 1:03 PM
- ‘I read a gossip piece’ meme mocks Moby’s Instagram post Friday 12:39 PM
- Rotten Tomatoes wants to see your ticket stub to leave a verified review Friday 11:46 AM
Warning: This article contains graphic and disturbing imagery.
Police in Lakeland, Florida, have released disturbing surveillance footage of a city official fatally shooting a man who tried to shoplift from his store, Vice News reports. The video’s release on Monday came as police are trying to determine whether the shooter should face criminal charges.
The footage shows Lakeland’s city commissioner Michael Dunn, who owns Vets Army & Navy surplus store, shooting 50-year-old Cristobal Lopez. According to police, Lopez was in the store with his father, who made a purchase as Lopez took a hatchet and concealed it before trying to leave the store. Dunn saw this unfold, and the video shows him grab Lopez by his shirt as he’s attempting to walk through the exit.
In the 38-second clip, Dunn can be seen drawing his gun, shooting Lopez at close range, and then watching him die on the ground just outside the door.
Lakeland police told Vice News that no charges have been filed, but an investigation is underway. Officials are trying to determine whether Dunn’s actions fall under Florida’s stand your ground law, which says a person can use deadly force if they believe their life or someone else’s life is threatened.
The Tampa Bay Times reports that Dunn, 47, is a gun rights activist and hosted a rally to counter a March For Our Lives protest organized by Parkland shooting survivors in July. According to the Lakeland Ledger, Dunn accidentally shot a man when he was 19, but the victim survived.
- White woman fired over video of her blocking Black man from his condo
- Alabama grocery store won’t sell Pepsi with NFL logo because of kneeling athletes
- ‘Cornerstore Caroline’ accuses Black 9-year-old of groping her, video says otherwise
H/T Vice News
Kris Seavers is the Evening Editor for the Daily Dot, where she covers breaking news, politics, and LGBTQ issues. Her work has appeared in Central Texas publications, including Austin Monthly and San Antonio Magazine, and on NPR.