- A police union is urging its officers to post ‘The Punisher’ logo Monday 7:33 PM
- Redditors call for a Nestlé boycott through memes Monday 6:16 PM
- How a 10-second Disney jingle became a meme in Thailand Monday 4:48 PM
- Instagram users share photos showing gruesome killing of 17-year-old Bianca Devins Monday 4:33 PM
- The horror game banned for mocking China’s president probably isn’t coming back Monday 3:31 PM
- Cheap vibrators, condoms, and lube: The most satisfying Amazon Prime Day deals Monday 3:07 PM
- George R.R. Martin says fan backlash won’t affect his ‘Game of Thrones’ ending Monday 3:03 PM
- The very finest Area 51 memes Monday 2:52 PM
- Tweet map ranks states where people are boycotting Amazon Prime Day Monday 1:54 PM
- Lil Nas X says he will perform at Area 51 for free Monday 12:56 PM
- The best Prime Day deals for gamers Monday 12:53 PM
- How Republicans are dancing around Trump’s racist tweets Monday 12:42 PM
- Not even anti-immigrant groups are defending Trump’s ‘go back’ tweets Monday 12:37 PM
- Netflix’s latest chase thriller ‘Point Blank’ lacks electricity Monday 12:27 PM
- Jay Inslee floats Megan Rapinoe as his secretary of state pick Monday 11:33 AM
‘Cornerstore Caroline’ accuses Black 9-year-old of groping her, video says otherwise
She’s the new BBQ Becky
Another day, another incident of a white person calling the police on a Black person for dubious reasons. Following the trend of giving these instigators a derisive nickname like BBQ Becky and Permit Patty, a New York woman who accused a Black 9-year-old of touching her butt is being dubbed “Cornerstore Caroline.”
The woman, who has been identified as Teresa Klein, 53, called police after claiming that a 9-year-old Black boy touched her behind in a Brooklyn deli. A Flatbush resident named Jason Littlejohn recorded the commotion outside the establishment, and was the first to dub the woman with the “Cornerstore Caroline” moniker.
“I was just sexually assaulted by a child,” Klein says on the video as she said she was on the phone with police. The 9-year-old boy, who was accompanied by his mother and another child, can be seen bursting into tears as more people began asking Klein about the incident. “The son grabbed my ass and she decided to yell at me,” Klein continued, referencing the mother.
Klein accused the mother of threatening her in person and later in a voicemail, according to a PIX 11 News report. Klein can clearly be seen claiming to be a police officer to the mother, but later denied she ever said that.
White woman falsely accuses 9-year-old black boy of sex assault at Brooklyn deli.— Andrew Ramos (@AndrewRamosTV) October 12, 2018
Despite new surveillance footage that debunks the claim, the woman - now known as #CornerstoreCaroline - sticks to her story in our exclusive interview @PIX11News pic.twitter.com/dNQAF7Vc67
A security camera video of the supposed incident appears to clear the young boy of any wrongdoing, showing Klein at the counter while he walks by. The boy’s right hand is full, but by turning a little to his left, his large backpack can be seen potentially brushing up against Klein, although the boy doesn’t seem to register the fact.
Klein returned to the store Friday to buy cigarettes, according to the New York Times, and was then prompted by a reporter to view the footage from Wednesday evening.
Days after a white woman #cornerstorecaroline accused a black child of touching her, she returned to the deli where the incident happened to watch surveillance @news12bk #brooklyn #flatbush pic.twitter.com/52o3KGsNAY— Justine Miller (@JustineIMiller) October 12, 2018
Speaking to a television reporter, Klein later apologized to the boy. “Young man, I don’t know your name, but I’m sorry,” she said. Klein continued to deny that she acted out of any sort of racial bigotry.
“The little kid thought he was going to go to jail for something he didn’t do,” Littlejohn said in an interview with the New York Times. “I thought it was someone calling police for unnecessary reasons, especially on a child.”
Social media erupted in response to “Cornerstore Caroline,” some even calling it a modern Emmett Till incident. Till was a 14-year-old Black boy who was lynched in Mississippi in 1955 after being falsely accused of whistling at a white woman.
Wow. I just saw the #CornerstoneCaroline video. I...I...if rmthere wasn’t video that little boy could’ve been arrested over some shit he didn’t even comprehend. Hearing him cry...that woman...holy shit.— Elon James White (@elonjames) October 13, 2018
This story has been updated for clarity and context.
Joseph Knoop is a gaming writer for Daily Dot, a native Chicagoan, and a slave to all things Overwatch. He co-founded the college geek culture outlet ByteBSU, then interned at Game Informer, and now writes for a bunch websites his parents have never heard of.