- Angela Abar wrestles with destiny in ‘Watchmen’ episode 8 Sunday 9:05 PM
- Guy who runs Trump Organization Twitter account caught hyping up own tweet Sunday 4:51 PM
- People found out how tall Olaf is–and now ‘Frozen’ is terrifying Sunday 3:41 PM
- Rapper Juice WRLD dead at 21 Sunday 3:02 PM
- Embody Andrew Yang, fight other presidential candidates in video game Sunday 2:33 PM
- Ariana Grande spoke with TikTok teen who looks exactly like her Sunday 1:00 PM
- Beyoncé accused of paying dancers ‘low rates’ Sunday 11:58 AM
- Timmy Thick blasted for saying the N-word in comeback video Sunday 9:11 AM
- Netflix’s ‘The Confession Killer’ is a devastating and well-built portrait of a con artist Sunday 8:00 AM
- Swipe This! I’m ashamed to tell anyone about my online shopping habit Sunday 6:00 AM
- UPS facing backlash for thanking police after employee killed in shootout Saturday 5:02 PM
- Sanders campaign fires staffer after anti-Semitic, homophobic tweets surface Saturday 3:13 PM
- Brother Nature was attacked, says everyone just watched with phones out Saturday 2:45 PM
- Ryan Reynolds’ gin company hires Peloton wife for ad Saturday 1:24 PM
- Ex-vegan YouTuber accused of fraud after following meat-only diet Saturday 1:11 PM
When Westboro Baptist Church announced it would protest the German pop star Kim Petras’ concert in Missouri, Petras began planning her clapback.
The church, which is known for its anti-LGBTQ stance, said the “lord [was] willing” a protest against the transgender celeb. In a viral video posted on Sunday, Petras had a mini-photoshoot in a black unitard and knee-high boots in front of the protesters outside her concert.
“Kim Petras looks beautiful and unbothered as members of the Westboro Baptist Church picket her concert,” Pop Crave tweeted.
The church had announced its plan on Thursday via Twitter. The flyer stated that this generation was “debasing themselves in every imaginable and unimaginable way.”
Petras released an “official statement” about the church’s protest this weekend. It was a video of her dancing to the song “Hoes Mad” by Famous Dex with the caption “idgaf.” (That’s internet slang for “I don’t give a fuck.”)
Twitter loved her tweet to the church and the photoshoot.
kim petras taking pics in front of the wbc picketing her show? yeah i don’t know a better person pic.twitter.com/uMoJfLl17I— tori (@usuallytori) December 2, 2019
kim petras using homophobes as photoshoot backdrop,,,, ICONIC pic.twitter.com/fphLCG9Scb— z-ghee (@ziggyisbroken2) December 2, 2019
kim petras having a full on photo shoot in front of the wbc......a national holiday. pic.twitter.com/0zMgVsEZkv— 𝔢-𝔠𝔦𝔤 (@erikacivx) December 2, 2019
kim petras and the westboro baptist church are out here partying with jesus! pic.twitter.com/3nqZ6b5cdd— dylan ☆ (@goodnightandari) December 2, 2019
Petras became famous worldwide in the 2000s for her appearance in a documentary about reassignment surgery. She was thought to be one of the youngest people to go through transition. A few years later, she became a model and then began releasing music.
She’s on tour to promote her 2019 album Clarity.
Sierra Juarez is a freelance journalist and fact-checker based in Mexico. She most enjoys writing about human rights and politics and working in audience engagement. Her work has appeared in the Texas Tribune, the Austin American–Statesman, and the San Antonio Current.