- Animator for Netflix’s ‘Carmen Sandiego’ says he was fired after asking for fair pay Sunday 3:17 PM
- YouTube reverses decision to remove creators’ badges Sunday 1:47 PM
- How video game developer Valve got served secret subpoena as part of FBI’s counterterrorism fight Sunday 12:31 PM
- Aron Eisenberg, ‘Star Trek: Deep Space Nine’ actor, dead at 50 Sunday 11:35 AM
- Who needs glass slippers? This Cinderella cosplayer upgraded with a stunning glass arm Sunday 10:19 AM
- How to check if Yahoo owes you $358 Sunday 9:25 AM
- How to stream Bears vs. Redskins on Monday Night Football Sunday 7:00 AM
- What are the best alternatives to the electoral college? Sunday 6:30 AM
- The best PS4 games you can’t play anywhere else Sunday 6:00 AM
- How to watch the 2019 Emmy Awards Sunday 5:00 AM
- How to stream ‘Power’ season 6, episode 5 Sunday 4:00 AM
- Former developer at software company deletes his code to protest its ties to ICE Saturday 4:21 PM
- A mysterious website is doxing Hong Kong protesters and journalists Saturday 1:44 PM
- The best ‘Skyrim’ followers and how to get them Saturday 1:26 PM
- Why Joel Osteen gets cyberbullied every time Houston floods Saturday 12:40 PM
Two elderly women were kicked out of a Florida Burger King after telling the manager to “go back to Mexico” when they heard him speaking Spanish on Saturday.
Neyzha Borrero captured the exchange on video and posted it to Facebook, where it quickly went viral.
This just happened right in front of me!!!! I had to record!!! “This is AMERICA! we speak ENGLISH” “GO BACK TO MEXICO. Speak “Puerto Rican” or “Mexican” at home!” Puerto Rican Manager at Burger King gets discriminated only because he spoke to his employee in Spanish in front of them. #burgerking #discriminationPosted by Neyzha Nicole on Saturday, July 6, 2019
The women felt the need to address Ricardo Castillo, the manager, after they heard him speaking Spanish with an employee. One of the women told Castillo he should not speak “Mexican” in public.
“This is America,” the woman says. “Our main language is English. Speak your Mexican at home.”
Castillo maintains a calm demeanor as the women continue to berate him, with one telling him to “go back to your Mexican country.” Castillo is actually from Puerto Rico.
“You’re in America; you should speak American English,” the woman says. “Go back to Mexico if you want to keep speaking Spanish.”
Racist women hear man in Florida Burger King speaking Spanish.— Simran Jeet Singh (@SikhProf) July 11, 2019
“Go back to Mexico,” they say.
Turns out the man they berated is the manager. And he kicked them both out. ✊🏾❤️✌🏾pic.twitter.com/QkEHsTC4rt
Castillo finally stands up, points toward the door, and tells them to leave.
“Guess what, ma’am,” Castillo says. “I’m not Mexican, but you are being very prejudiced. I want you out of my restaurant right now. ”
The woman tells Castillo that she will leave after finishing her meal, but Castillo had enough.
“You are very ignorant and very disrespectful,” Castillo says. “Have a great day and get out of my restaurant.”
- YouTube executive blames his father’s murder for calling police on a Black man
- Contractor shows up to Black family’s home with Confederate flag, gets fired
- ‘Misogynistic douchebag’ goes on rant in a Bagel Boss, gets tackled
Got five minutes? We’d love to hear from you. Help shape our journalism and be entered to win an Amazon gift card by filling out our 2019 reader survey.
Caitlin Davis is an editorial intern for the Daily Dot studying journalism and Arabic at the University of Texas at Austin. Her work has appeared in the Daily Texan and the Austin Chronicle.