- This Twitter account is parodying Amazon customer service Thursday 8:52 PM
- How to live stream Oleksandr Gvozdyk vs. Artur Beterbiev Thursday 7:00 PM
- Shaggy says an online scammer is impersonating him Thursday 6:53 PM
- IRL Barbie Malibu Dreamhouse available to rent on Airbnb Thursday 6:16 PM
- Men’s Humor trolled for unknowingly tweeting Grindr conversation Thursday 5:29 PM
- How to stream Dominick Reyes vs. Chris Weidman Thursday 5:00 PM
- Jennifer Aniston had a finsta before officially joining Instagram Thursday 4:35 PM
- Facebook denies moderating comments under Zuckerberg’s big free speech live stream Thursday 2:38 PM
- ‘My headphones’ meme proves our music is sadder than we look Thursday 1:53 PM
- ‘Time for an upgrade’ meme shows Kamala Harris’ team is too online Thursday 1:35 PM
- Prison guards reportedly mocked trans inmates in private Facebook groups Thursday 1:33 PM
- Gradient is the new celebrity look-alike app winning over influencers Thursday 12:46 PM
- Trolls accuse cosplayer of ‘appropriating’ Joker culture (updated) Thursday 12:28 PM
- Every Studio Ghibli movie will stream exclusively on HBO Max Thursday 12:24 PM
- ‘Stranger Things’ season 3 saw its highest viewer numbers yet Thursday 12:01 PM
Wednesday morning brought an unexpected boost of productivity in offices around the world thanks to the temporary absence of one of the web’s best distractors, YouTube. The video streaming service was temporarily unaccessible for many users.
The outage occurred around 7:23am ET. During the down time, many of the site’s one billion users were greeted with a message assuring them that, “A team of highly trained monkeys has been dispatched to deal with this situation.”
Many hoping to hop online for a quick video fix in the morning were forced instead to think of clever ways to complain on Twitter about YouTube being down.
YouTube is down. I’ll start packing my things in case it’s forever.
— Rob Pearson (@rob_pearson86) June 22, 2016
Ok. It looks like youtube is down for most people. We should all huddle together. Everything will be ok I promise.
— Stampy Cat (@stampylongnose) June 22, 2016
YouTube is down. An entire generation stumbles into the street, deprived of news, beauty tips and Minecraft videos. Riots are coming.
— Adam Tinworth (@adders) June 22, 2016
you guys, youtube is down!! enjoy this, a few blissfull minutes during which we are, at last, free from youtube commenters
— Ryan North (@ryanqnorth) June 22, 2016
The Daily Dot was informed that the outage was the result of a routine engineering push that took YouTube down globally for about 15 minutes.
According to Outage Report, a website dedicated to tracking user reports down time of various websites, Wednesday morning generated the highest amount of YouTube outage claims in Outage Report’s history.
At the time of publication, some users in Europe claimed to still be unable to access the video streaming platform.
AJ Dellinger is a seasoned technology writer whose work has appeared in Digital Trends, International Business Times, and Newsweek. In 2018, he joined Gizmodo as the nights and weekend editor.