- Deepfakes are here to mess with UK politics and our minds 3 Years Ago
- ‘The Mandalorian’ series premiere throws ‘Star Wars’ in the middle of the wild west 3 Years Ago
- A total guide to bone conduction headphones, plus our recommendations 3 Years Ago
- Disney+ goes down on launch day Today 11:52 AM
- Anna Kendrick and Bill Hader shine in Disney+ Christmas movie ‘Noelle’ Today 11:52 AM
- What to do if you’ve lost your AirPods charging case Today 11:42 AM
- Stephen Miller’s racist emails leak Today 11:20 AM
- Why was parody Twitter account Seinfeld2000 suspended? Today 11:06 AM
- Ed Sheeran lookalike trolls YouTubers at KSI-Logan Paul fight Today 10:21 AM
- ‘The World According to Jeff Goldblum’ is for stans only Today 9:28 AM
- The ‘Sonic the Hedgehog’ live-action redesign is a marked improvement Today 9:01 AM
- U.S. gamers create as much carbon dioxide as 5 million cars Today 8:28 AM
- Disney+ TV characters like Ms. Marvel will appear in MCU movies Today 8:04 AM
- Apple TV+ offers something for younger viewers with ‘Helpsters’ Today 8:01 AM
- How to watch ‘The Mandalorian’ Today 7:34 AM
The matchup comes to Twitter thanks to a partnership with Campus Insiders, an online platform for college sports, agreed to earlier this year that will place over 300 live college events from the Mountain West Conference, Patriot League, and West Coast Conference on Twitter.
“It’ll be trending on Twitter. Is that the right word?” Utah State coach Matt Wells said during a press conference on Monday.
“Hopefully there’s no hiccups on that streaming,” Wells said, noting it would be the first college football game to be streamed on Twitter. “It gets to be shown I guess nationwide, right?” he asked to the room of reporters. “That’ll be a neat deal.”
The game between the Utah State Aggies, a member of the Mountain West Conference, and Big Sky Conference’s Weber State Wildcats is set to kick off at 8pm EST on Twitter. The platform will also host its second game on Saturday when the Saturday when Mountain West Conference’s Air Force hosts Abilene Christian.
Neither game will be televised, but a spokesperson for Twitter told the Daily Dot the stream will be produced by Campus Insiders and broadcast by Twitter.
The company’s streaming platform has been put to use regularly in the last few months. Twitter has been broadcasting everything from tennis matches at Wimbledon to the Republican and Democratic national conventions.
The Thursday night showdown between the Division I schools will be an early test to Twitter’s plans to stream Thursday night NFL games. Earlier this year, the social network came to an agreement with the NFL to broadcast 10 regular season Thursday games.
The first professional game to be streamed on the platform will be the week two matchup on September 15, 2016 that will place the New York Jets in Buffalo to take on the Bills.
AJ Dellinger is a seasoned technology writer whose work has appeared in Digital Trends, International Business Times, and Newsweek. In 2018, he joined Gizmodo as the nights and weekend editor.