- Lawsuit alleges YouTube’s unboxing videos are ‘abusive’ ads aimed at kids Sunday 3:48 PM
- Dr. Dre shades Lori Loughlin with Instagram flex about his daughter getting into USC Sunday 3:13 PM
- University of Georgia frat’s racist Snapchat video draws campus outrage Sunday 1:21 PM
- Facing criticism for eating fish, vegan YouTube star Rawvana speaks out Sunday 10:47 AM
- Arnold Schwarzenegger chases mini-pony in new TikTok video Sunday 9:19 AM
- Review: ‘Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice’ is a cut above the rest Sunday 8:00 AM
- Where do 2020 Democratic candidates stand on healthcare? Sunday 7:30 AM
- How to (legally) stream live TV on Kodi Sunday 7:00 AM
- ‘Delhi Crime’ tackles inequality and women’s rights Sunday 7:00 AM
- How to watch the 2019 STP 500 at Martinsville Speedway for free Sunday 6:00 AM
- These high school theater kids put on a totally awesome ‘Alien’ play Saturday 3:59 PM
- Behold these photos of Elon Musk, but with Elizabeth Holmes’ eyes Saturday 3:11 PM
- Barbra Streisand gets ‘canceled’ over remarks about Michael Jackson’s alleged victims Saturday 2:09 PM
- Report: Florida man raped Texas teen after posing as Instagram celeb Saturday 12:14 PM
- Lori Loughlin’s daughters, Olivia and Isabella, could be banned from USC forever Saturday 11:46 AM
Photo via Jamie McCall/Flickr (CC-BY-ND)
If you own the device, you may want to stop using it.
The incident took place on Saturday night in a home in Brooklyn, New York. According to the boy’s grandmother, the Galaxy Note 7 battery exploded while the child was watching videos on the device. The aftermath of the explosion set off fire alarms in the house, according to the grandmother.
The family called 911 after the event occurred—just before 8pm—and the child was rushed to a nearby medical center where he was treated for burns to his body.
“He doesn’t want to see or go near any phones,” the grandmother told the New York Post. “He’s been crying to his mother.”
The grandmother also said the family had been in contact with Samsung about the incident. Samsung confirmed they have reached out to the family in a comment to the Daily Dot.
“We take every report very seriously and have contacted the Lewis family to learn more about their situation,” a spokesperson for Samsung said. “As we are currently looking into this case, we are unable to comment further right now.”
The incident is just the latest report of the popular Samsung smartphone exploding. The device has already been held responsible for the destruction of a vehicle and hotel room. Samsung issued a recall on the Galaxy Note 7 earlier this month, and said at the time there have been 35 cases reported globally.
The exploding devices led to several airlines as well as the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) to issuing warnings about using the phone while on flying. The United States Consumer Product Safety Commission has also advised owners of the device to stop charging and using the device.
AJ Dellinger is a seasoned technology writer whose work has appeared in Digital Trends, International Business Times, and Newsweek. In 2018, he joined Gizmodo as the nights and weekend editor.