- Twitter begins rolling out new desktop redesign, and users aren’t happy 6 Months Ago
- Man asks his girlfriend to ‘unlove’ her ex—and people do not agree with him 6 Months Ago
- Relive a forgotten gem with the TurboGrafx-16 Mini console 6 Months Ago
- Judge says Daily Stormer founder must pay $14 million for harassing Jewish realtor Today 1:01 PM
- Graphic depiction of suicide cut from Netflix’s ’13 Reasons Why’ Today 12:55 PM
- Streaming titles seize 2019 Emmy nominations Today 12:19 PM
- ‘Frankenstein’s Monster’s Monster, Frankenstein’ tries to find humor in bad actors Today 12:02 PM
- Democratic senator calls Facebook ‘dangerous’ during Libra cryptocurrency hearing Today 11:57 AM
- How ‘Kyle’ became synonymous with angry, Monster Energy-chugging white boys Today 11:22 AM
- Nearly impossible ‘Super Mario Maker 2’ level inspires memes Today 11:16 AM
- Madonna faces backlash for posting photos of her Black daughters with watermelon Today 10:44 AM
- Biden wants to challenge Trump to a push-up contest Today 10:00 AM
- Trump continues to tweet as House gears up to condemn his racist tweets Today 9:21 AM
- Your therapist probably wouldn’t approve of this meme Today 9:06 AM
- Batman Talisman finally lets the villains rule Gotham City Today 8:22 AM
Japanese billionaire’s tweet to give away money is the most retweeted of all time
His tweet was to celebrate his brand hitting 10 billion yen.
Japanese billionaire Yusaku Maezawa has broken a new record as the most retweeted tweet of all time. Maezawa is the founder of Japan’s largest online fashion retailer, ZOZO. His tweet was to celebrate his brand hitting 10 billion yen ($92 million) in sales during the holiday season by giving away 100 million Japanese yen ($920,000) to 100 people who retweeted his tweet.
The previous record was held by Carter Wilkerson, a teen who attempted to get 18 million retweets in exchange for unlimited chicken nuggets from Wendy’s in 2017.
Many people retweeted the tweet in hopes of winning the cash.
Help me I’m poor https://t.co/lnQNfIcpR5— Moenigs (@Moenigs1) January 8, 2019
Others commented on his new record. “Move over chicken nugget kid, there’s a new sheriff in ZOZOTOWN,” one person joked.
Move over chicken nugget kid, there’s a new sheriff in ZOZOTOWN https://t.co/NYyBtcqt2z— Chris Ingerson (@ChrisIngerson_) January 8, 2019
This isn’t the first time Maezawa has made headlines. He was announced as Space X CEO Elon Musk’s first paying customer for the Big Falcon Rocket’s launch into space. He plans to bring up to eight creative people on his expected 5-day journey in 2023.
Maezawa tweeted saying he picked a winner yesterday but wants to do a second round of giveaways.
Look out for his next giveaway. You could be one of the lucky winners!
Gabrielle Sorto is an Atlanta-based freelance writer covering culture, lifestyle, and news. Her work has appeared in CNN, Teen Vogue, INSIDER, and Vice. She can usually be found writing with an overpriced coffee in hand or hanging out with her dog, Rihanna, who is named after exactly who you think.