- Viral cat video ‘Dear Kitten’ finds new life in TikTok video challenge 3 Months Ago
- Here’s every show that was announced at the Apple TV+ kickoff Today 3:53 PM
- ‘Shazam!’ embraces the spectacle and heart of the superhero genre Today 3:45 PM
- How to mute Twitter’s suggested tweets on your timeline Today 3:02 PM
- What you need to know about Apple’s new streaming service Today 2:32 PM
- Text-message fanfiction is taking over Instagram Today 1:54 PM
- Your Asus computer might have a secret backdoor Today 1:06 PM
- Trump is already fundraising off the Mueller report—even though no one’s seen it Today 1:01 PM
- Michael Avenatti charged with trying to extort $20 million from Nike Today 12:51 PM
- Logan Paul says being a YouTuber is ‘wack’ Today 12:14 PM
- James Comey posts from a forest in wake of Mueller report Today 10:35 AM
- These are the only online dating sites worth your time Today 10:29 AM
- Jameela Jamil sparks conversation about women having to make the ‘boyfriend excuse’ Today 10:23 AM
- Trump-Russia conspiracy theorists think they’ve found secrets in the Mueller report Today 9:32 AM
- Report: YouTube is done competing with Netflix, Amazon Today 9:27 AM
Japanese billionaire’s tweet to give away money is the most retweeted of all time
His tweet was to celebrate his brand hitting 10 billion yen.
Japanese billionaire Yusaku Maezawa has broken a new record as the most retweeted tweet of all time. Maezawa is the founder of Japan’s largest online fashion retailer, ZOZO. His tweet was to celebrate his brand hitting 10 billion yen ($92 million) in sales during the holiday season by giving away 100 million Japanese yen ($920,000) to 100 people who retweeted his tweet.
The previous record was held by Carter Wilkerson, a teen who attempted to get 18 million retweets in exchange for unlimited chicken nuggets from Wendy’s in 2017.
Many people retweeted the tweet in hopes of winning the cash.
Help me I’m poor https://t.co/lnQNfIcpR5
— Moenigs (@Moenigs1) January 8, 2019
Others commented on his new record. “Move over chicken nugget kid, there’s a new sheriff in ZOZOTOWN,” one person joked.
Move over chicken nugget kid, there’s a new sheriff in ZOZOTOWN https://t.co/NYyBtcqt2z
— Chris Ingerson (@ChrisIngerson_) January 8, 2019
This isn’t the first time Maezawa has made headlines. He was announced as Space X CEO Elon Musk’s first paying customer for the Big Falcon Rocket’s launch into space. He plans to bring up to eight creative people on his expected 5-day journey in 2023.
Maezawa tweeted saying he picked a winner yesterday but wants to do a second round of giveaways.
— Yusaku Maezawa (MZ) 前澤友作 (@yousuck2020) January 8, 2019
Look out for his next giveaway. You could be one of the lucky winners!
Gabrielle Sorto is an Atlanta-based freelance writer covering culture, lifestyle, and news. Her work has appeared in CNN, Teen Vogue, INSIDER, and Vice. She can usually be found writing with an overpriced coffee in hand or hanging out with her dog, Rihanna, who is named after exactly who you think.