- How to watch ‘Kidding’ for free 4 Months Ago
- What’s the deal with Bran Stark at the end of ‘Game of Thrones’? Today 6:30 AM
- How to watch TruTV online for free Today 6:00 AM
- Fans call out Madonna for edited Eurovision video Tuesday 9:36 PM
- Partnered Twitch streamer temporarily banned for airing troll’s racist message Tuesday 8:45 PM
- Reddit theory says fans are wrong about who won ‘Game of Thrones’ Tuesday 6:52 PM
- Elon Musk hires ‘absolute unit’ sheep meme creator to be Tesla’s social media manager Tuesday 6:12 PM
- Jason Momoa stands by his Khaleesi after the ‘Game of Thrones’ finale Tuesday 4:05 PM
- Airbnb, 23andMe partner for creepy heritage travel recommendations Tuesday 3:26 PM
- Rep. Katie Porter goes viral again for trouncing Ben Carson (updated) Tuesday 3:26 PM
- This deepfake takes Bill Hader’s Schwarzenegger impression to the next level Tuesday 2:58 PM
- Wanda Sykes rails against Trump and offers much-needed perspective in ‘Not Normal’ Tuesday 2:41 PM
- Man arrested after allegedly threatening to shoot YouTube employees Tuesday 2:13 PM
- Some House Dems are backing away from the Save the Internet Act Tuesday 1:40 PM
- Thousands sign petition calling for Danny DeVito to play Wolverine Tuesday 1:02 PM
Japanese billionaire’s tweet to give away money is the most retweeted of all time
His tweet was to celebrate his brand hitting 10 billion yen.
Japanese billionaire Yusaku Maezawa has broken a new record as the most retweeted tweet of all time. Maezawa is the founder of Japan’s largest online fashion retailer, ZOZO. His tweet was to celebrate his brand hitting 10 billion yen ($92 million) in sales during the holiday season by giving away 100 million Japanese yen ($920,000) to 100 people who retweeted his tweet.
The previous record was held by Carter Wilkerson, a teen who attempted to get 18 million retweets in exchange for unlimited chicken nuggets from Wendy’s in 2017.
Many people retweeted the tweet in hopes of winning the cash.
Help me I’m poor https://t.co/lnQNfIcpR5
— Moenigs (@Moenigs1) January 8, 2019
Others commented on his new record. “Move over chicken nugget kid, there’s a new sheriff in ZOZOTOWN,” one person joked.
Move over chicken nugget kid, there’s a new sheriff in ZOZOTOWN https://t.co/NYyBtcqt2z
— Chris Ingerson (@ChrisIngerson_) January 8, 2019
This isn’t the first time Maezawa has made headlines. He was announced as Space X CEO Elon Musk’s first paying customer for the Big Falcon Rocket’s launch into space. He plans to bring up to eight creative people on his expected 5-day journey in 2023.
Maezawa tweeted saying he picked a winner yesterday but wants to do a second round of giveaways.
— Yusaku Maezawa (MZ) 前澤友作 (@yousuck2020) January 8, 2019
Look out for his next giveaway. You could be one of the lucky winners!
Gabrielle Sorto is an Atlanta-based freelance writer covering culture, lifestyle, and news. Her work has appeared in CNN, Teen Vogue, INSIDER, and Vice. She can usually be found writing with an overpriced coffee in hand or hanging out with her dog, Rihanna, who is named after exactly who you think.