- ‘Penis fish’ memes erupt after worms wash up on California coast Friday 5:58 PM
- Why Britons are tweeting ‘Little England’ in wake of the U.K. election Friday 3:22 PM
- Net neutrality advocates ask for rehearing on federal court decision Friday 2:29 PM
- Americans are sharing their #PrivateHealthLIFEhacks to help Brits Friday 2:28 PM
- Warren, Sanders, Yang pledge to skip next week’s debate over union dispute Friday 2:12 PM
- How to watch tonight’s Nets vs. Raptors matchup on NBA TV Friday 2:00 PM
- Alt-right comedian Owen Benjamin banned from Instagram over anti-Semitic memes Friday 1:55 PM
- TikTok teens are procrastinating with #FinalsWeek Friday 1:46 PM
- ‘The Mandalorian’ takes on a prison break in episode 6 Friday 1:30 PM
- Nick Cannon vs. Eminem battle expected to escalate after ‘off-limits’ daughter diss Friday 12:50 PM
- Laura Loomer vehemently denies being author of new Laura Loomer-themed action novel Friday 12:30 PM
- PewDiePie’s poop-inspired game gets banned by Apple Friday 11:29 AM
- ‘Game of Thrones’ showrunners to adapt ‘Lovecraft’ graphic novel to screen Friday 11:00 AM
- The 50 memes that defined the decade Friday 10:45 AM
- Venmo users are getting harassed with fraudulent payment requests Friday 10:38 AM
The Federal Communications Commission has suspended nine internet providers from a federal program that subsidizes phone and internet service for poor Americans.
The program, Lifeline, was created in 1985 to provide cheap phone and internet service to people in lower-income communities, allowing people to access educational resources and to contact family. Last year, the FCC expanded service to include broadband, with eligible households paying $9.25 monthly.
The FCC’s order, announced Friday by chairman Ajit Pai, rescinds the participation of the nine companies in the Lifeline program, changing their consideration status to “pending.” According to the order, four companies were granted admission on Dec. 1 and five companies were granted it on Jan. 18, but they’re now being reconsidered to give the FCC time to take measures to prevent “waste, fraud, and abuse.”
“These last-minute actions, which did not enjoy the support of the majority of commissioners at the time they were taken, should not bind us going forward,” Pai told the Washington Post.
Daniel Neal, the founder of one of these companies, Kajeet Inc., told the Post he’s concerned about the children and school districts the decision will affect. Gene Kimmelman, president of consumer advocacy group Public Knowledge, told the Post that the reconsiderations will restrict internet access for low-income families.
“The most obvious fact in our society is that high-speed internet is astronomically expensive for the middle-class and down,” Kimmelman said. “So in any way limiting the Lifeline program, at this moment in time, exacerbates the digital divide. It doesn’t address it in any positive way.”
Samantha Grasso is a former IRL staff writer for the Daily Dot with a reporting emphasis on immigration. Her work has appeared on Los Angeles Magazine, Death And Taxes, Revelist, Texts From Last Night, Austin Monthly, and she has previously contributed to Texas Monthly.