- How to live stream the 2020 Grammy Awards Today 7:00 AM
- Technology created deepfakes—does it have a way to stop them, too? Today 6:30 AM
- SESTA-FOSTA is ‘detrimental’ to sex workers’ safety, study confirms Today 6:00 AM
- Jeff Bezos’ girlfriend allegedly sent his nudes to her brother, who then leaked them Saturday 6:38 PM
- This Instagram account catches influencers in the wild Saturday 5:42 PM
- The best upcoming video games to look out for in February 2020 Saturday 5:23 PM
- TikTok teens use AirPods and Google Translate to secretly talk in class Saturday 4:32 PM
- Video shows corpses of coronavirus victims lying in China hospital Saturday 3:44 PM
- Kid meets Slipknot after drumming video goes viral Saturday 2:30 PM
- Channing Tatum responds to troll who tried to compare Jenna Dewan and Jessie J’s looks Saturday 1:46 PM
- Grindr pulls an ‘I don’t know her’ after Eminem suggests he uses the app Saturday 12:48 PM
- Here are the top 10 most popular Instagram models in 2020 Saturday 12:21 PM
- ‘The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina’ takes its characters on a fantasy adventure to Hell in season 3 Saturday 11:37 AM
- Woman no longer in sorority, school after racist MLK post Saturday 10:45 AM
- Netflix’s ‘Miss Americana’ starts to deconstruct the myth of Taylor Swift Saturday 10:32 AM
Gear and gadgets are often a sure thing when you’re looking for holiday gifts for your dad. Some dads are total tech wizards and will love the latest and greatest in devices… and others will surely benefit from some technical assistance, in gift form. Think about it this way: Would you rather play the role of IT support, or could you perhaps buy dear old dad something to fill that void? Sound familiar? This list of the best tech gifts for dad has you covered.
Whatever level of tech mastery your dad has attained, there’s a device he’d love to get as a gift this year. Check out our favorite tech gifts for Dad.
The best tech gifts for Dad this year
It’s a bit of a trope that dads lose everything… but lots of dads tend to do exactly that. Tile’s array of minimalist tracking devices are easy to attach to wallets, keys, or whatever else, and they’re a great tech gift for dad. They’re fairly affordable, too, and you can pick and choose between the different combo packs available.
AirPods are quickly becoming the go-to gift of the holiday season: Everyone wants them and everyone can use them, and that includes Dad. Save some money on the last-generation version if your dad isn’t terribly hyped on the latest technology or spring for the newest devices if he’s a gadget lover. And also, maybe get him some of the Tile stickers so he can keep tracking of his charging case…
There are a handful of smartphone-controlled, smart home-compatible sprinkler systems available on Amazon, and one of the best-rated is Sprinkl. One step up from having automatic sprinklers is giving your dad the ability to turn them on and off (and use other automation features) all from his smartphone. Sprinkl also adjust based on the weather so it won’t overwater the lawn after sudden downpours. This system also works with Alexa, if Dad’s an Echo user. Another popular option is the Rachio Smart Sprinkler, if the Sprinkl doesn’t sound quite right as a tech gift for dad or you want to save a few bucks.
Allow me to interrupt this gift guide to tell you a very short story: Until recent years, my dad never drank coffee. However, because my mom loves coffee so much, and my dad loves my mom so much, he woke up to make it every morning. (He eventually was won over and began to drink coffee, because it’s delicious.) Now, not to date myself, but Wi-Fi-enabled coffee makers were not an option when I was living at my folks’ house—if they had been, this would have been a great gift. If you have a dad who gets up to make the coffee, save him that trip to the kitchen and let him start the brew and get a few more minutes in bed.
Tinkering with smart home systems is increasingly easier and easier. If your dad has an interest in retrofitting his home, a pack of smart plugs is a good place to start. WeMo’s product is consistently good and easy to use, and is the first step to controlling your home from your phone—and all you have to do is plug it into existing outlets.
We’ve already sung the praises of Wyze’s highly affordable, incredibly easy to use smart home devices, but the Wyze Bulb, in particular, stands out as a great tech gift for Dad. A four-pack is around the cost of one or two smart bulbs from other manufacturers, and while you can’t alter the color of the bulb, you can control and dim it from your smartphone or smart home speaker.
If you want to spend big or go in with other family members on a tech gift for Dad, then a home projector is a great idea. The BenQ Home Theater Projector is rated well and has a comparatively lower price point than many of its competitors. If you really want to go all out, then you can grab a home projector screen as well. Watching the game will never be the same.
The Daily Dot may receive a payment in connection with purchases of products or services featured in this article. Click here to learn more.
Molly McHugh is the tech editor of the Daily Dot, focusing on technology, social media, sports, and streaming entertainment. Her work has also appeared in Wired and the Ringer.