- Disabled people with service dogs say Uber, Lyft drivers are denying them rides Friday 3:25 PM
- TikTok teen famous for greasy hair ends her 8-year reign Friday 2:48 PM
- Police handcuff brown man at subway station for carrying a toy gun Friday 1:20 PM
- Fake clip of Sanders quoting infamous ‘hot chip’ tweet is duping people online Friday 1:16 PM
- The Mars Volta’s Cedric Bixler-Zavala alleges Scientologists behind dog’s death Friday 12:46 PM
- Eminem responds to critics: ‘This album was not made for the squeamish’ Friday 12:42 PM
- ‘The poet, the poem’ meme takes iconic lines and turns them into art Friday 12:40 PM
- People are making dark memes about the coronavirus Friday 12:27 PM
- Trump camp’s ‘head on a pike’ impeachment threat hit with memes Friday 11:34 AM
- What is the #FreeBritney movement, and why is Cher tweeting about it? Friday 10:52 AM
- This YouTuber claims the Saudi government plotted to kidnap him on U.S. soil Friday 10:30 AM
- Report: Jack Dorsey declined to host a fundraiser for Tulsi Gabbard Friday 10:22 AM
- Bernie Sanders plugs Joe Rogan endorsement—and women are furious Friday 10:04 AM
- Young woman using TikTok to document the end of her life says she’s dying next week Friday 8:43 AM
- London’s real-time facial recognition program a ‘breathtaking assault’ on civil rights Friday 8:23 AM
In the video, Paytas is seen crying and a man’s voice can be heard in the background, seemingly saying, “I have a court case tomorrow. I could go to jail,” prompting her to end the stream.
Was I the only one watching Trisha Paytas on her live right now where she was crying and you could hear a guy in the back saying Trisha no please I have a court case I can go to jail like....what is happening pic.twitter.com/Z3cK41Spok— ॐ (@kittypaws666) January 4, 2020
so trisha paytas made an instagram live saying she wasn't okay and that she didnt know what to do and was really upset and someone was telling her "dont do this", she ended the live abruptly and then did another one WHAT HAPPENED @trishapaytas are you okay?? pic.twitter.com/Dm6Hf3a5l8— ane (@anewithluv) January 4, 2020
Anyone else just get a sketchy vibe from #TrishaPaytas instagram live?— Casey Sheehan (@SheehanCasey) January 4, 2020
What the hell just happened on Trisha live?? #TrishaPaytas— Aquarius Girl X (@AquariusGirlX) January 4, 2020
In a second video later on that day, Paytas assured her fans that everything was OK.
“Sorry, I ended that last one abruptly. Everything’s good. I was just really emotional, and I was feeling overwhelmed,” she says.
Some fans are speculating the man in the background could have been fellow YouTuber Jaclyn Hill’s ex-husband, Jon Hill. Paytas recently posted videos of them kissing on her Instagram story, which caused some controversy online.
Twitter users immediately began theorizing about the video. Some are worried and think Paytas is being held against her will, while others think it was Hill’s voice in the background and believe he might be in legal trouble.
“@trishapaytas please leave wherever you are that live was frightening,” Twitter user @hannahbechill wrote.
@trishapaytas please leave wherever you are that live was frightening— Hann🧸 (@hannahbechill) January 4, 2020
Others expressed similar sentiments.
Really worried about Trisha Paytas this was a live stream someone recorded 😭😭😭— Kayla Marie (@sweetieshortie) January 5, 2020
She's hanging out with jon hill who's known to be a serious drug addict I am so worried about her wtf https://t.co/DEVtJEjCMH
“Honestly, I always take everything Trisha Paytas says with SEVERAL grains of salt… BUT… To me, Trish genuinely looked both scared and exhausted in her IG live today. I just got a really weird feeling from it, and it’s not the usual ‘Trisha’s back on her bullshit’ feeling,” Twitter user @Fallen_Darling wrote.
Honestly, I always take everything Trisha Paytas says with SEVERAL grains of salt... BUT... To me, Trish genuinely looked both scared and exhausted in her IG live today. I just got a really weird feeling from it, and it's not the usual "Trisha's back on her bullshit" feeling.— Just Another Misfit (@Fallen_Darling) January 4, 2020
Shits about to go down. She just went live on IG crying with some dude in the back saying “Trisha please”! Then she ended it. Wouldn’t even talk to her fans that was asking what’s wrong.— Marcia Stone (@FlashmomStone) January 4, 2020
Other fans think the incident could be her making fun of a recent controversy surrounding YouTuber and singer Lia Marie Johnson. In an Instagram Live filmed on Jan. 2, an unknown man believed to be Johnson’s producer, Stephen Wetherbee, is seen trying to kiss and touch Johnson, who is presumed to be under the influence, before realizing she’s streaming it.
“Are you on Instagram? No you’re not. You can’t be on Instagram. Are you really on Instagram? Because that would be bad,” he tells her before grabbing her phone and turning off the stream.
In a second Instagram Live, the man says, “I need this not to go out because it will affect my work, please.”
While some fans believe Paytas, who is known for trolling fans online, is making a parody of that incident, others do not think the two videos are similar enough.
why does it sound like the same guy that was in the back of lias insta live— jc 75 (@j0hc33) January 4, 2020
IS SHE MAKING FUN OF LIA ? WITH HER PRODUCER SAYING THE SAME THING IN THE BACK?— Speak The Truth (@SpeakDeTruth) January 5, 2020
What some people fail to realize about Trisha paytas, for whatever reason, is that she’s a perpetual internet troll. Some people live paycheck to paycheck, she lives controversy to controversy. She literally lives for this shit and will never change. Idk y ppl still support her. pic.twitter.com/XII4Zp3Khu— Butterfly kisses 🦋 (@American_Honey7) December 30, 2019
Trisha and her lame ass insta live. We all know how she is. She loves to play that victim card especially when she trying to cover something up. Like the fact that she's been out partying this last week and has been high af. People buying her acts are stupid af #trishapaytas— ᎬxᏢᎾsᎥᏁᎶfᎪᏦᎬᎽᎾuᏆubᎬᏒs (@Fakeyoutubers19) January 5, 2020
While there is not a lot to go off of from just two videos, fans are generally worried about Paytas’ wellbeing, as she is known for vlogging during low points in her life.
Nashwa Bawab is a freelance journalist based in Dallas. Her work has appeared in the Texas Observer, Middle East Eye, the Dallas Observer, the Intercept, and more.