Need to know what’s new on Starz this month? This premium movie channel is home to smash hit series like American Gods and Outlander. But what do you watch when you’re all caught up on your favorite show and you need a new binge?
Don’t worry, we’ve got you. Get your true crime fix, chill on the couch with an old Spike Lee joint, or savor the rich scenery of a martial arts epic. No matter what you’re into, there’s something new on Starz for you this May.
- Best new Starz originals: Run the World series premier, The Girlfriend Experience season 3 premier, Confronting a Serial Killer
- Best new movies on Starz: Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, The Climb, Do the Right Thing
- Full list of movies new to Starz in May 2021
- Full list of shows new to Starz in May 2021
What’s new on Starz: Original Series
Run the World Series Premier
From Living Single creator Yvette Lee Bowser comes an original best friend comedy series for the 21st century. Described by writer Leigh Davenport as “a love letter to Black women and a love letter to Harlem”, Run the World follows four friends as they navigate their relationships and careers in their 30s. Tune in to the series premier exclusive to Starz on Sunday, May 16th.
The Girlfriend Experience Season 3 Premier
This anthology series follows call girls as they provide their clients with personal and professional services. Each season follows a different sex worker, and in season 3 we’ll meet Iris, who is known as Cassie to her clients.
Iris steps away from pursuing her degree in neuroscience to join a tech startup studying human behavior for dating apps. She records her sessions with clients in order to make observations about desire. But trouble begins when technology, sex work, and ethics collide.
Steven Soderbergh’s series is more of a tactical drama than an emotional one. If you’re looking for more intrigue and less intimacy, Girlfriend is a real nail-biter. The sex workers in the stories have agency, but scenes with clients aren’t big on the warm-and-fuzzies.
Confronting a Serial Killer
This Starz documentary series is a blood-chilling tale of real-life murder. Confronting a Serial Killer tells the story of New York Times best-selling author Jillian Lauren and her friendship with the elderly serial killer Samuel Little.
Lauren interviewed Little, who died at the age of 80 in prison, in hopes of helping the police identify his unknown victims. Little confessed to over 93 murders between 1970 and 2005, but his true body count remains a mystery.
What’s new on Starz: Movies
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
If you’ve never seen this critically acclaimed movie, it’s new on Starz on May 1st. In Qing dynasty (19th century) China, master Li Mu Bai (Chow Yun Fat) sends his friend Yu Shu Lien (Michelle Yeoh) to deliver the Green Destiny sword to Peking.
But when the sword is stolen by the governor’s daughter Jen (Zhang Ziyi), who has allied herself with the criminal Jade Fox, Li must avenge his master’s death.
This film is stunningly filmed, choreographed, and performed. Crouching Tiger takes place in a patriarchal world, but it centers its plot around the strength and skill of women (and we love to see it.) This story isn’t just a bad-ass martial arts movie; it’s got drama, tragedy, romance, you name it!
Best friends Mike and Kyle are enjoying a delightful bike ride until Mike confesses that he’s been sleeping with Kyle’s fiancé. They cut off contact until one year later after Mike’s wife (Kyle’s ex-fiancé) has died and the friends reconnect at the funeral. What follows is a series of uncomfortably-funny disasters. Mike frequently tries to intervene on behalf of Kyle’s wellbeing,
This film is a creative take on the “deadbeat friend” comedy, and it’s not just the use of musical numbers (because yes, there are musical numbers.) The movie portrays nuance in Mike’s compulsive need to sabotage his friendship with Kyle, and it puts the ‘fun’ in ‘dysfunctional friendship’.
Do the Right Thing
Do the Right Thing is a must-see in the Spike Lee library, telling the story a neighborhood trying to stay cool on a hot summer day in late 80s Brooklyn. Tensions rise with the temperature as the residents in the neighborhood clash with a local pizzeria-owner.
This film is vibrant cultural snapshot of a unique time and place, yet it’s still as socially relevant as ever. Featuring incredible performances by Rosie Perez, Giancarlo Esposito, Samuel L. Jackson, and Spike Lee as the main character Mookie, every frame of this film is packed with unforgettable characters.
Be sure to check out other Spike Lee joints new on Starz this May, like the semi-autobiographical story of a teacher and musician raising five kids in Crooklyn, and the romantic comedy-drama Mo Better Blues.
What’s new on Starz in May: Movies
Available May 1
- Apollo 13
- Black Dog
- Black Horse Canyon
- Border River
- Braddock: Missing in Action III
- Breakin’ All the Rules
- Casper and Wendy’s Ghostly Adventure
- Casper: A Spirited Beginning
- Casper’s Scare School
- Charlie Wilson’s War
- Crouching Tiger: Hidden Dragon
- Do the Right Thing
- Dr. Giggles
- Dr. Seuss’ Cat in the Hat
- Funny People
- Land of the Lost
- Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels
- Love, Weddings, & Other Disasters
- Man of the Year
- Mo’ Better Blues
- Mr. Mom
- One False Move
- Postcards From the Edge
- Promised Land
- Rise: Blood Hunter
- The Adventures of Brer Rabbit
- The Black Dahlia
- The Dangerous Lives of Altar Boys
- The Express
- The Good Shepherd
- The Lone Hand
- The Marsh
- The Orphanage
- The Shepherd of the Hills
- The Short History of the Long Road
- Tyler Perry’s Diary of a Mad Black Woman, I Can Do Bad All by Myself, Madea Goes to Jail, Madea’s Big Happy Family, & Madea’s Family Reunion
- Under Western Skies
- Wild Heritage
- Winchester ‘73
- The Climb
- The Kid Detective
- Bulletproof Monk
- A Return to Salem’s Lot
- A Very Long Engagement
- Cape Fear
- Dave Chapelle’s Block Party
- Fever Pitch
- Fletch Lives
- Great Expectations
- Hit and Run
- Hustle and Heat
- In My Country
- Kissing a Fool
- Line Watch
- Me, Myself, & Irene
- Mom and Dad
- Roll Bounce
- Seven Years in Tibet
- Shark Night
- The Place Beyond the Pines
- Twilight Zone: The Movie
- Final Portrait
- Forty Guns
- How Do You Know
- Piranha 3D
- Side Effects
- The Juror
- The Longshot
- The Marine 4: Moving Target
- The Messenger: The Story of Joan of Arc
- The Money Pit
- The Rider
What’s new on Starz in May: Shows
Available May 1
- Confronting a Serial Killer – Episode 3, “Behlold the Monster”
- The Girlfriend Experience – Season 3, Episode 1, “Mirrors”
- The Girlfriend Experience – Season 3, Episode 2, “Everyone’s Got a Price”
- The Gloaming – Season 1, Episode 7, “The Mark of the Witch”
- Step Up: High Water – Episode 10, “Two-Step”
- Confronting a Serial Killer – Episode 4, “Restoring Their Names”
- The Girlfriend Experience – Episode 3, “Deep Fake”
- The Gloaming – Episode 8, “The Night of the Mothers”
- Step Up: High Water – Season 1, Episode 11, “Precision”
- Confronting a Serial Killer – Episode 5, “No Longer a Jane Doe”
- Death and Nightingales – Episode 101
- Run the World – Season 1, Episode 1, “Phenomenal Women”
- The Girlfriend Experience – Season 3, Episode 4, “Shuffle”
- Step Up: High Water – Season 1, Episode 12, “Splits”
- Death and Nightingales – Episode 102
- Run the World – Season 1, Episode 2, “Because… ADOS”
- The Girlfriend Experience – Season 3, Episode 4, “Control Shift”
- Step Up: High Water – Season 1, Episode 13, “Form”
- Death and Nightingales – Episode 103
- Run the World – Season 1, Episode 3, “What a Co-inky-dink”
- The Girlfriend Experience – Season 3, Episode 5, “The Embrace”
The Daily Dot may receive a payment in connection with purchases of products or services featured in this article. Click here to learn more.