- Sanders campaign fires staffer after anti-Semitic, homophobic tweets surface 1 Year Ago
- Brother Nature was attacked, says everyone just watched with phones out 1 Year Ago
- Ryan Reynolds’ gin company hires Peloton wife for ad Today 1:24 PM
- Ex-vegan YouTuber accused of fraud after following meat-only diet Today 1:11 PM
- The 15 best Disney+ hidden gems and deep cuts Today 12:23 PM
- Everyone in GoFundMe scam involving homeless veteran has now pleaded guilty Today 12:06 PM
- Boy invites kindergarten class to his adoption–and people are emotional Today 11:56 AM
- Reddit links leaked trade deal documents to Russian campaign Today 10:44 AM
- How to stream Alistair Overeem vs. Jairzinho Rozenstruik Today 8:30 AM
- Amazon sends customers condoms and soap instead of Nintendo Switch Today 8:28 AM
- How to live stream Jermall Charlo vs. Dennis Hogan Today 8:00 AM
- Apple TV’s ‘Truth Be Told’ is a criminally dull drama Today 6:00 AM
- Thousands of Uber users have reported sexual assaults, company says Friday 5:40 PM
- ‘Astronomy Club’ reformats the sketch show Friday 4:58 PM
- Trump is concerned America’s toilets too weak Friday 3:53 PM
On Sunday, Hyland posted a link to the GoFundMe page collecting donations for funeral expenses for her 14-year-old cousin, Trevor Canaday, who was killed in an accident caused by a drunk driver on Saturday.
Yesterday my 14 year old cousin was killed by a drunk driver named Jeffrey Eggerling. My Uncle is in the hospital awaiting more surgeries. PLEASE keep your prayers with my family during this horrific time. And please DONATE https://t.co/mwlaIvUYrs— Sarah Hyland (@Sarah_Hyland) December 2, 2018
Fans on Twitter expressed their condolences, but many took issue with the fact that Hyland was asking for donations rather than paying all of the expenses herself.
I am very sorry for your loss... but you make $100k PER episode— Haunted (@aIIlwanted) December 3, 2018
What's not clicking? https://t.co/8rR19aIRgm
A horrible tragedy!!! It feels weird that you are asking people to donate though. People are donating $10, $20, $100 which is a lot for people. I hope you are financially helping them too bc it would seem you have more resources than those donating. Prayers for your family.— Kerry Sullivan (@ksullivan1111) December 3, 2018
The next day, the Modern Family star asked people to keep their negative thoughts and opinions to themselves.
“I’d like to ask those who have negative thoughts or opinions about the tragedy that happened to my family, to keep them to themselves,” she said. “You don’t know all the details. And how dare you attack when a beautiful life has been lost.”
I’d like to ask those who have negative thoughts or opinions about the tragedy that happened to my family, to keep them to themselves. You don’t know all the details. And how dare you attack when a beautiful life has been lost.— Sarah Hyland (@Sarah_Hyland) December 3, 2018
Later Monday, Hyland announced she was going to be staying offline due to the negativity.
“You guys finally did it. Your horrible negative ignorant words have broken me. Happy? Staying offline for a while,” she wrote on Twitter.
You guys finally did it. Your horrible negative ignorant words have broken me. Happy? Staying offline for a while. I have a special announcement and video releasing on Wednesday I believe. So. There’s that. ✌🏼— Sarah Hyland (@Sarah_Hyland) December 4, 2018
Despite the criticism, the GoFundMe had exceeded its goal of $40,000 by Wednesday. Hyland hasn’t said anything online since her announcement, and there is no indication of when she will return.
- Teen cancer patient who provided YouTube with daily inspiration has died
- The Cut deletes controversial post about Nick Jonas and Priyanka Chopra
- Friend goes viral for congratulating friend for losing his virginity, because of course
H/T Huffington Post
Gabrielle Sorto is an Atlanta-based freelance writer covering culture, lifestyle, and news. Her work has appeared in CNN, Teen Vogue, INSIDER, and Vice. She can usually be found writing with an overpriced coffee in hand or hanging out with her dog, Rihanna, who is named after exactly who you think.