- ‘The Fix’ is another talk show Hail Mary from Netflix 1 Week Ago
- 2018 was the year the ‘alt-right’ failed 1 Week Ago
- The best Italian movies on Netflix 1 Week Ago
- How to stream the 2018 college bowl games 1 Week Ago
- Miss USA thought everyone spoke English—and the internet is not amused Thursday 8:02 PM
- Kanye’s Twitter tirade prompts apology from Drake Thursday 6:00 PM
- Listen to Pitbull cover Toto’s ‘Africa’ for the ‘Aquaman’ soundtrack—or don’t Thursday 4:55 PM
- Nancy Pelosi’s coat is the meme the resistance needed Thursday 4:39 PM
- Oprah says what was really on her mind while she ate bland chicken Thursday 4:00 PM
- Democrats predicted to go in on net neutrality when they take House Thursday 3:33 PM
- Holland Tunnel decorations are a real nightmare before Christmas Thursday 2:12 PM
- Amazon still won’t say whether ICE uses its facial recognition tech Thursday 1:13 PM
- Ninja to host Thursday Night Football Thursday 12:00 PM
- How to stream the NFL’s Week 15 for free Thursday 12:00 PM
- An undecorated room sets off a debate on Twitter Thursday 11:42 AM
Sarah Hyland quits Twitter after fans criticize her for not paying cousin’s funeral costs
On Sunday, Hyland posted a link to the GoFundMe page collecting donations for funeral expenses for her 14-year-old cousin, Trevor Canaday, who was killed in an accident caused by a drunk driver on Saturday.
Yesterday my 14 year old cousin was killed by a drunk driver named Jeffrey Eggerling. My Uncle is in the hospital awaiting more surgeries. PLEASE keep your prayers with my family during this horrific time. And please DONATE https://t.co/mwlaIvUYrs
— Sarah Hyland (@Sarah_Hyland) December 2, 2018
Fans on Twitter expressed their condolences, but many took issue with the fact that Hyland was asking for donations rather than paying all of the expenses herself.
I am very sorry for your loss… but you make $100k PER episode
What's not clicking? https://t.co/8rR19aIRgm
— Haunted (@aIIlwanted) December 3, 2018
A horrible tragedy!!! It feels weird that you are asking people to donate though. People are donating $10, $20, $100 which is a lot for people. I hope you are financially helping them too bc it would seem you have more resources than those donating. Prayers for your family.
— Kerry Sullivan (@ksullivan1111) December 3, 2018
The next day, the Modern Family star asked people to keep their negative thoughts and opinions to themselves.
“I’d like to ask those who have negative thoughts or opinions about the tragedy that happened to my family, to keep them to themselves,” she said. “You don’t know all the details. And how dare you attack when a beautiful life has been lost.”
I’d like to ask those who have negative thoughts or opinions about the tragedy that happened to my family, to keep them to themselves. You don’t know all the details. And how dare you attack when a beautiful life has been lost.
— Sarah Hyland (@Sarah_Hyland) December 3, 2018
Later Monday, Hyland announced she was going to be staying offline due to the negativity.
“You guys finally did it. Your horrible negative ignorant words have broken me. Happy? Staying offline for a while,” she wrote on Twitter.
You guys finally did it. Your horrible negative ignorant words have broken me. Happy? Staying offline for a while. I have a special announcement and video releasing on Wednesday I believe. So. There’s that. ✌🏼
— Sarah Hyland (@Sarah_Hyland) December 4, 2018
Despite the criticism, the GoFundMe had exceeded its goal of $40,000 by Wednesday. Hyland hasn’t said anything online since her announcement, and there is no indication of when she will return.
- Teen cancer patient who provided YouTube with daily inspiration has died
- The Cut deletes controversial post about Nick Jonas and Priyanka Chopra
- Friend goes viral for congratulating friend for losing his virginity, because of course
H/T Huffington Post
Gabrielle Sorto is an Atlanta-based freelance writer covering culture, lifestyle, and news. Her work has appeared in CNN, Teen Vogue, INSIDER, and Vice. She can usually be found writing with an overpriced coffee in hand or hanging out with her dog, Rihanna, who is named after exactly who you think.