- ‘Penis fish’ memes erupt after worms wash up on California coast Friday 5:58 PM
- Why Britons are tweeting ‘Little England’ in wake of the U.K. election Friday 3:22 PM
- Net neutrality advocates ask for rehearing on federal court decision Friday 2:29 PM
- Americans are sharing their #PrivateHealthLIFEhacks to help Brits Friday 2:28 PM
- Warren, Sanders, Yang pledge to skip next week’s debate over union dispute Friday 2:12 PM
- How to watch tonight’s Nets vs. Raptors matchup on NBA TV Friday 2:00 PM
- Alt-right comedian Owen Benjamin banned from Instagram over anti-Semitic memes Friday 1:55 PM
- TikTok teens are procrastinating with #FinalsWeek Friday 1:46 PM
- ‘The Mandalorian’ takes on a prison break in episode 6 Friday 1:30 PM
- Nick Cannon vs. Eminem battle expected to escalate after ‘off-limits’ daughter diss Friday 12:50 PM
- Laura Loomer vehemently denies being author of new Laura Loomer-themed action novel Friday 12:30 PM
- PewDiePie’s poop-inspired game gets banned by Apple Friday 11:29 AM
- ‘Game of Thrones’ showrunners to adapt ‘Lovecraft’ graphic novel to screen Friday 11:00 AM
- The 50 memes that defined the decade Friday 10:45 AM
- Venmo users are getting harassed with fraudulent payment requests Friday 10:38 AM
Several actors and actresses have publicly commented on the Harvey Weinstein investigation brought forth by the New York Times this past week. In particular, actor Ben Affleck Tuesday on Facebook expressed sadness and anger surrounding a man who, “used his position of power to intimidate, sexually harass and manipulate many women over decades.”
It didn’t take long for Affleck to receive criticism for his post, especially by one actress in particular: Rose McGowan.
“Ben Affleck fuck off,” McGowan initially tweeted, with a follow-up stating Affleck knew of Weinstein’s action years before this investigation broke.
“@benaffleck “GODDAMNIT! I TOLD HIM TO STOP DOING THAT” you said that to my face. The press conf I was made to go to after assault. You lie,” McGowan tweeted.
Ben Affleck fuck off— rose mcgowan (@rosemcgowan) October 10, 2017
@benaffleck “GODDAMNIT! I TOLD HIM TO STOP DOING THAT” you said that to my face. The press conf I was made to go to after assault. You lie.— rose mcgowan (@rosemcgowan) October 10, 2017
The Charmed actress reached a settlement with Weinstein back in 1997, but it has yet to hold her back from voicing opinions on the matter. Since allegations broke, she has started an online petition with the hashtag #ROSEARMY to dissolve the Weinstein Company completely.
Affleck got his big break in Good Will Hunting, which Weinstein distributed under his Miramax company. Throw in the history of sexual assault allegations following brother Casey Affleck, and many are questioning the sincerity of Ben’s post.
You had no problem campaigning for Casey Affleck's Academy Award, though.— Jon (@prasejeebus) October 10, 2017
Media: Hey did you know Harvey Weinstein is a giant pervert?— RuPaul Ryan (@itsrupaulryan) October 10, 2017
Ben Affleck: pic.twitter.com/lIkUq23iB2
Affleck has yet to address McGowan’s criticism.
Samantha Reichstein is a former intern for the Daily Dot whose work focused on entertainment and politics. She's written for the Bump, the Nest, the Knot, the Austin American-Statesman, Austin Way Magazine, and Broadway World TV.