- Angela Abar wrestles with destiny in ‘Watchmen’ episode 8 Sunday 9:05 PM
- Guy who runs Trump Organization Twitter account caught hyping up own tweet Sunday 4:51 PM
- People found out how tall Olaf is–and now ‘Frozen’ is terrifying Sunday 3:41 PM
- Rapper Juice WRLD dead at 21 Sunday 3:02 PM
- Embody Andrew Yang, fight other presidential candidates in video game Sunday 2:33 PM
- Ariana Grande spoke with TikTok teen who looks exactly like her Sunday 1:00 PM
- Beyoncé accused of paying dancers ‘low rates’ Sunday 11:58 AM
- Timmy Thick blasted for saying the N-word in comeback video Sunday 9:11 AM
- Netflix’s ‘The Confession Killer’ is a devastating and well-built portrait of a con artist Sunday 8:00 AM
- Swipe This! I’m ashamed to tell anyone about my online shopping habit Sunday 6:00 AM
- UPS facing backlash for thanking police after employee killed in shootout Saturday 5:02 PM
- Sanders campaign fires staffer after anti-Semitic, homophobic tweets surface Saturday 3:13 PM
- Brother Nature was attacked, says everyone just watched with phones out Saturday 2:45 PM
- Ryan Reynolds’ gin company hires Peloton wife for ad Saturday 1:24 PM
- Ex-vegan YouTuber accused of fraud after following meat-only diet Saturday 1:11 PM
A feud between Jamaican Twitter and Bajan Twitter has ensued over Rihanna’s nationality.
It all started when a Twitter user urged Jamaican Twitter to steal Rihanna from Barbados, where she is famously from. “Jamaicans, you know, if we pretend like Rihanna is Jamaican, the world would believe us and there is nothing the Bajans can do about it. Let’s kidnap Rihanna’s nationality, y’all,” they wrote, per Urbanislandz.
What followed were photoshopped images, claiming Rihanna’s Jamaican heritage.
“One thing I’ve learned from this whole #RihannaIsJamaican saga is that we have the better graphic artists . . .” Twitter user @JulianCresser wrote.
One thing I've learned from this whole #RihannaIsJamaican saga is that we have the better graphic artists . . .— Julian Cresser (@JulianCresser) October 10, 2019
Another photoshopped Rihanna onto a Jamaican bill.
Another put Rihanna on a Jamaican political campaign. “#RihannaIsJamaican Barbados need to chill. Cause I remember this day like it was yesterday,” Twitter user @Officialreysoja wrote.
Users are going as far as to edit her Wikipedia page and photoshop her onto a Jamaican passport. One valiant supporter of the cause even photoshopped the Jamaican flag onto Rihanna’s Twitter page.
Jamaican Twitter is proving it will do just about anything to earn Rihanna’s origin.
This #RihannaIsJamaican trend is gonna end with rih cussing us tf out.— Misappropriated Garvey Quotes 🇯🇲 (@catrin_thegreat) October 10, 2019
Worth it tbh 🤷🏽♀️
Libby Cohen is a third-year University of Texas student originally from New Jersey. She has written for ORANGE Magazine, the Daily Texan, and most recently interned for 1010 WINS in NYC. She's now back in Austin writing for the Texas Standard and the Daily Dot.