- Paul Joseph Watson is very upset by bartender serving beer with her butt 2 Weeks Ago
- Twitter developing a policy to combat deepfakes Today 5:28 PM
- The Nate Diaz vs. Jorge Masvidal bout at UFC 244 is perfect for NYC and its fight mecca Today 5:27 PM
- Alexis Bledel named most dangerous online celebrity Today 5:02 PM
- Kylie Jenner trademarks ‘rise and shine’ after meme success Today 4:50 PM
- ‘Watchmen’ website expands what you know about its alt-history Today 4:31 PM
- Smoke ’em, pass ’em Week 8: Mark Walton szn Today 4:26 PM
- Venmo’s first-ever credit card to launch in 2020 Today 3:46 PM
- Wet Kylo Ren may turn everyone to the dark side Today 3:15 PM
- Man allegedly targeted trans women on dating app, robbed them at knifepoint Today 3:02 PM
- Researchers expose how Amazon Echo and Google Home can steal passwords Today 2:47 PM
- Facebook removing Instagram Story filters that mimic plastic surgery Today 2:16 PM
- Mom solves ‘ghost baby’ image mystery after viral post Today 1:23 PM
- Elon Musk tweeted ‘through space’ Today 1:16 PM
- Don’t want a Fitbit? These step tracker apps got you covered Today 12:51 PM
A feud between Jamaican Twitter and Bajan Twitter has ensued over Rihanna’s nationality.
It all started when a Twitter user urged Jamaican Twitter to steal Rihanna from Barbados, where she is famously from. “Jamaicans, you know, if we pretend like Rihanna is Jamaican, the world would believe us and there is nothing the Bajans can do about it. Let’s kidnap Rihanna’s nationality, y’all,” they wrote, per Urbanislandz.
What followed were photoshopped images, claiming Rihanna’s Jamaican heritage.
“One thing I’ve learned from this whole #RihannaIsJamaican saga is that we have the better graphic artists . . .” Twitter user @JulianCresser wrote.
One thing I've learned from this whole #RihannaIsJamaican saga is that we have the better graphic artists . . .— Julian Cresser (@JulianCresser) October 10, 2019
Another photoshopped Rihanna onto a Jamaican bill.
Another put Rihanna on a Jamaican political campaign. “#RihannaIsJamaican Barbados need to chill. Cause I remember this day like it was yesterday,” Twitter user @Officialreysoja wrote.
Users are going as far as to edit her Wikipedia page and photoshop her onto a Jamaican passport. One valiant supporter of the cause even photoshopped the Jamaican flag onto Rihanna’s Twitter page.
Jamaican Twitter is proving it will do just about anything to earn Rihanna’s origin.
This #RihannaIsJamaican trend is gonna end with rih cussing us tf out.— The Greatest Poppy Showman 🇯🇲 (@catrin_thegreat) October 10, 2019
Worth it tbh 🤷🏽♀️
Libby Cohen is a third-year University of Texas student originally from New Jersey. She has written for ORANGE Magazine, the Daily Texan, and most recently interned for 1010 WINS in NYC. She's now back in Austin writing for the Texas Standard and the Daily Dot.