- What were these QAnon fans doing posing at Guantanamo Bay? 6 Months Ago
- How to watch the 2019 NBA Draft online for free 6 Months Ago
- Ta-Nehisi Coates dismantles Mitch McConnell’s anti-reparations argument Wednesday 7:52 PM
- Whoopi Goldberg stirs debate over her opinion regarding Bella Thorne’s nudes Wednesday 7:04 PM
- Joe Biden really, really hates raves Wednesday 6:02 PM
- RIP to the Twitter geotagging feature that no one actually used Wednesday 5:14 PM
- Facebook contractors reveal the horrors of moderating graphic content Wednesday 4:42 PM
- Prosecutor almost directly quoted Bible in trial against man who helped migrants Wednesday 4:05 PM
- TikTok’s time warp videos get it twisted Wednesday 4:03 PM
- Is a ‘Stranger Things’ and Fortnite crossover event going to happen? Wednesday 3:55 PM
- YouTube reportedly thinking about moving all kids content off the main site Wednesday 3:50 PM
- AOC calls out Democrats for tone-deaf Beyoncé tweet Wednesday 3:15 PM
- Democrat candidates come out as ‘wife guys’ Wednesday 2:45 PM
- Poll of best Batman actors fails to include Adam West, and fans are not happy Wednesday 2:25 PM
- ‘Pose’ producer Janet Mock lands historic Netflix deal Wednesday 1:54 PM
Listen to Pitbull cover Toto’s ‘Africa’ for the ‘Aquaman’ soundtrack—or don’t
Technically, the song is called “Ocean to Ocean” but the chorus is mostly “Africa” featuring Rhea. The track plays in the movie as Aquaman (Jason Momoa) and Mera (Amber Heard) head into the Sahara Desert.
“The ocean, the sea, and any body of water, to me, is true freedom,” Pitbull told Entertainment Weekly. “The ocean has always been the border from where my parents came from Cuba and the United States, which gives us freedom. That’s why I respect water. Bottom line: water gives us freedom.”
People on Twitter are mostly confused by the song and why it has the name “Ocean to Ocean.”
“It took 34 years, but I’ve found the worst song in recorded history,” someone wrote. “It’s Pitbull’s take on Toto’s ‘Africa’ for Aquaman and its awfulness is a spectacle to behold. From the speaking intro to every Pitbull “whooooo” coming out of the hook. It’s glorious.”
It took 34 years, but I've found the worst song in recorded history. It's Pitbull's take on Toto's "Africa" for Aquaman and its awfulness is a spectacle to behold. From the speaking intro to every Pitbull "whooooo" coming out of the hook. It's glorious. https://t.co/RUnR0f2GKt
— Andy Shore (@AndyShore) December 13, 2018
“‘Pitbull’s cover of ‘Africa’ by Toto on the Aquaman soundtrack’ is not a combination of words I ever thought I would read,” another person said.
“Pitbull’s cover of Africa by Toto on the Aquaman soundtrack” is not a combination of words I ever thought I would read
— danny zang (@plsdontsaydan) December 13, 2018
“Why did Pitbull cover ‘Africa’ for a song that is called ‘Ocean to Ocean’ for the movie Aquaman? Does Pitbull think Africa is part of the ocean?” someone else asked. To be fair, he has a point. There’s a lot going on with this song.
WHY DID PITBULL COVER "AFRICA" FOR A SONG THAT IS CALLED "OCEAN TO OCEAN" FOR THE MOVIE AQUAMAN. DOES PITBULL THINK AFRICA IS PART OF THE OCEAN
— Rodger Sherman (@rodger) December 13, 2018
Listen to the track for yourself below.
Gabrielle Sorto is an Atlanta-based freelance writer covering culture, lifestyle, and news. Her work has appeared in CNN, Teen Vogue, INSIDER, and Vice. She can usually be found writing with an overpriced coffee in hand or hanging out with her dog, Rihanna, who is named after exactly who you think.