- Social media influencer known for hiking in bikinis dead at 36 1 Month Ago
- Trump posts altered pics on social media to make fingers look longer, report Today 3:20 PM
- Twitch user banned after telling woman to ‘kill yourself’ during stream Today 3:06 PM
- Facebook introduces ‘Community Actions’ tool to petition the government Today 2:04 PM
- Sarah Sanders, NRA deliver truly misguided MLK tributes today Today 12:58 PM
- MAGA teen who confronted Native elder says he ‘respects all races’ Today 12:57 PM
- Popular YouTube channel in danger of disappearing because of copyright claims Today 12:24 PM
- The Krassensteins’ Reddit AMA gets trolled off the internet Today 12:08 PM
- No, Trump didn’t break open the Pizzagate scandal in 2011 Today 11:23 AM
- Producer of anti-abortion film says Facebook refuses to run his ads Today 10:58 AM
- Ja Rule thinks he was also a victim of Fyre Fest Today 10:21 AM
- YouTube beef between RiceGum and H3H3 gets ugly—and personal Today 10:02 AM
- ‘Fox & Friends’ accidentally airs obituary graphic for Ruth Bader Ginsburg Today 9:40 AM
- Ocasio-Cortez helps Donkey Kong Twitch streamer raise money for trans rights Today 8:09 AM
- ‘Soni’ is a smart crime drama with poignant observations on inequality Today 7:00 AM
Listen to Pitbull cover Toto’s ‘Africa’ for the ‘Aquaman’ soundtrack—or don’t
Technically, the song is called “Ocean to Ocean” but the chorus is mostly “Africa” featuring Rhea. The track plays in the movie as Aquaman (Jason Momoa) and Mera (Amber Heard) head into the Sahara Desert.
“The ocean, the sea, and any body of water, to me, is true freedom,” Pitbull told Entertainment Weekly. “The ocean has always been the border from where my parents came from Cuba and the United States, which gives us freedom. That’s why I respect water. Bottom line: water gives us freedom.”
People on Twitter are mostly confused by the song and why it has the name “Ocean to Ocean.”
“It took 34 years, but I’ve found the worst song in recorded history,” someone wrote. “It’s Pitbull’s take on Toto’s ‘Africa’ for Aquaman and its awfulness is a spectacle to behold. From the speaking intro to every Pitbull “whooooo” coming out of the hook. It’s glorious.”
It took 34 years, but I've found the worst song in recorded history. It's Pitbull's take on Toto's "Africa" for Aquaman and its awfulness is a spectacle to behold. From the speaking intro to every Pitbull "whooooo" coming out of the hook. It's glorious. https://t.co/RUnR0f2GKt
— Andy Shore (@AndyShore) December 13, 2018
“‘Pitbull’s cover of ‘Africa’ by Toto on the Aquaman soundtrack’ is not a combination of words I ever thought I would read,” another person said.
“Pitbull’s cover of Africa by Toto on the Aquaman soundtrack” is not a combination of words I ever thought I would read
— danny zang (@plsdontsaydan) December 13, 2018
“Why did Pitbull cover ‘Africa’ for a song that is called ‘Ocean to Ocean’ for the movie Aquaman? Does Pitbull think Africa is part of the ocean?” someone else asked. To be fair, he has a point. There’s a lot going on with this song.
WHY DID PITBULL COVER "AFRICA" FOR A SONG THAT IS CALLED "OCEAN TO OCEAN" FOR THE MOVIE AQUAMAN. DOES PITBULL THINK AFRICA IS PART OF THE OCEAN
— Rodger Sherman (@rodger) December 13, 2018
Listen to the track for yourself below.
Gabrielle Sorto is an Atlanta-based freelance writer covering culture, lifestyle, and news. Her work has appeared in CNN, Teen Vogue, INSIDER, and Vice. She can usually be found writing with an overpriced coffee in hand or hanging out with her dog, Rihanna, who is named after exactly who you think.