- Drag queen spreads joy to toddler, world with ‘Baby Shark’ performance 3 Months Ago
- How many ‘chuggas’ should come before choo choo? 3 Months Ago
- Cory Booker’s weirdly sensual relationship with coffee resurfaces 3 Months Ago
- Everything you need to know about gaming chat client Discord Today 8:00 AM
- Report: Your Facebook feed is still ripe with fake news Today 7:42 AM
- The 10 best movies based on true stories on Hulu Today 7:00 AM
- Prager University is fighting ‘leftist indoctrination’ on college campuses Today 7:00 AM
- Can ‘Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3’ recover from its disastrous drama? Today 6:00 AM
- Devin Nunes is suing Twitter over parody accounts of his mom, cow Monday 8:15 PM
- The best new movies at SXSW 2019 Monday 7:55 PM
- #AbledsAreWeird demonstrates how not to treat people with disabilities Monday 7:33 PM
- YouTubers keep uploading racist meme anthem played by New Zealand shooter Monday 5:38 PM
- Myspace confirms that a decade-plus of user-uploaded music is gone Monday 5:03 PM
- ‘Love, Death & Robots’ suffers from blatant sexism Monday 4:38 PM
- Khloe Kardashian faces backlash for Instagram post saying to ‘love thy racist neighbor’ Monday 4:07 PM
Listen to Pitbull cover Toto’s ‘Africa’ for the ‘Aquaman’ soundtrack—or don’t
Technically, the song is called “Ocean to Ocean” but the chorus is mostly “Africa” featuring Rhea. The track plays in the movie as Aquaman (Jason Momoa) and Mera (Amber Heard) head into the Sahara Desert.
“The ocean, the sea, and any body of water, to me, is true freedom,” Pitbull told Entertainment Weekly. “The ocean has always been the border from where my parents came from Cuba and the United States, which gives us freedom. That’s why I respect water. Bottom line: water gives us freedom.”
People on Twitter are mostly confused by the song and why it has the name “Ocean to Ocean.”
“It took 34 years, but I’ve found the worst song in recorded history,” someone wrote. “It’s Pitbull’s take on Toto’s ‘Africa’ for Aquaman and its awfulness is a spectacle to behold. From the speaking intro to every Pitbull “whooooo” coming out of the hook. It’s glorious.”
It took 34 years, but I've found the worst song in recorded history. It's Pitbull's take on Toto's "Africa" for Aquaman and its awfulness is a spectacle to behold. From the speaking intro to every Pitbull "whooooo" coming out of the hook. It's glorious. https://t.co/RUnR0f2GKt
— Andy Shore (@AndyShore) December 13, 2018
“‘Pitbull’s cover of ‘Africa’ by Toto on the Aquaman soundtrack’ is not a combination of words I ever thought I would read,” another person said.
“Pitbull’s cover of Africa by Toto on the Aquaman soundtrack” is not a combination of words I ever thought I would read
— danny zang (@plsdontsaydan) December 13, 2018
“Why did Pitbull cover ‘Africa’ for a song that is called ‘Ocean to Ocean’ for the movie Aquaman? Does Pitbull think Africa is part of the ocean?” someone else asked. To be fair, he has a point. There’s a lot going on with this song.
WHY DID PITBULL COVER "AFRICA" FOR A SONG THAT IS CALLED "OCEAN TO OCEAN" FOR THE MOVIE AQUAMAN. DOES PITBULL THINK AFRICA IS PART OF THE OCEAN
— Rodger Sherman (@rodger) December 13, 2018
Listen to the track for yourself below.
Gabrielle Sorto is an Atlanta-based freelance writer covering culture, lifestyle, and news. Her work has appeared in CNN, Teen Vogue, INSIDER, and Vice. She can usually be found writing with an overpriced coffee in hand or hanging out with her dog, Rihanna, who is named after exactly who you think.